newbie with felting question!

cherrypicker

I made a hat and scalf in chunky wool, but its so scratchy and I have very sensitive skin! I thought about felting, so I put it in the front loading washing machine......( ok i thought, if it ruins it its no loss as I was given the yarn)

It ran on a normal wash 40% with a spin......it came out a little fluffy but not much different.....so do I then put it in again with something like a pair of jeans? I dont really want it to shrink to much more.....or do I run it on a hotter wash?

thanks.

catherine. :hook

You can run it through the washer as many times as you want, but to get rid of the stitch definition it will also shrink. Because front loaders don't have an agitator, you might want to throw something in there to kind of bang it up a bit. Tennis balls work great, and I've read where folks put in rubber flip-flops, tennis shoes, or old jeans. Also, if your water temp isn't all that hot, you can add a kettle full of boiling water.

I personally like my things felted so you can no longer see individual stitches, but that's just my personal preference.

Joan

Archived