Greetings from Ireland!

Kemberlee

I grew up on the southern Oregon coast. It's much like northern California.We Oregonians have a sense of humor about Cal. people! Years ago when Tom McCall was governor, he said, Come and visit, spend money, but don't stay (or words to that effect).

I've done quite a bit of searching for my SIMPSON - JENKINS - LIPSETT - MCMONAGLE ancestors. Haven't found a lot more than my 3 great grandfather wrote about the family. Pictures of Northern Ireland look beautiful!

Your yarn shop sounds wonderful! Best of luck to you on starting a new buriness.

Alice

I'm originally from Northern CA on the coast. Haven't been as far as OR though. I was too afraid of that sign at the border..."Welcome to Oregon. We shoot every 3rd Californian and the second just passed." ;)

How much research have you done on your Donegal ancestors? It's lovely country up there. My aunt by marriage researched her family tree and found a line up there...the were part of the plantation era, but she still has cousins there whom she met a couple years ago on a visit over.

Hi Alice,

Several of my classmates moved to Oregon. We discovered this at our reunion a few years ago. Those who moved had no clue some of their old school chums were in the same area. Too funny. :)

Simpson, Jenkins and Lipsett are probably English/British surnames or other, but not Irish...unless they were part of the plantation times. McMonagle is probably Irish. I know McGonagle is Irish (I think that's the spelling). Surnames with Mc are generally found more north on the island and the O's are more south. But that's not a hard and fast rule, especially if one is a decendent of the O'Neill's who ruled most of Northern Ireland from the dawn of time.

And YES, much of Northern Ireland is amazing. The whole island has so many different areas that are so unique to the last. I've been all over Ireland, north and south. I've extentively explored 31 of the 32 counties so far. County Down is the only county I haven't been through...yet. ;)

If you ever decide to come over, let me know. I can point you in the right directions...all 2 million of them! :yes

Thanks for the luck on the :yarn business. We'll be launching mid-January when I'm home from my holidays. I'm going back to California in a couple weeks and will be staying through the New Year :grinch Can't wait. It's been 6 years to the day since I was home last.

I grew up on the southern Oregon coast. It's much like northern California.We Oregonians have a sense of humor about Cal. people! Years ago when Tom McCall was governor, he said, Come and visit, spend money, but don't stay (or words to that effect).

I've done quite a bit of searching for my SIMPSON - JENKINS - LIPSETT - MCMONAGLE ancestors. Haven't found a lot more than my 3 great grandfather wrote about the family. Pictures of Northern Ireland look beautiful!

Your yarn shop sounds wonderful! Best of luck to you on starting a new buriness.

Alice

Archived