bought the wrong pretty yarn

I went out to get some yarn for a pattern for a shawl that I saw that would be absolutly perfect for my future mother in law but when I got home I bought the wrong yarn! :oops It's not even remotely close (at least I think) since it was suppose to be like mohair but instead I bought boucle... and enough to make at least 20 kittens happy! Didn't realize how much yarn I actually bought but it was on sale so that makes it all better. ^^ :lol However, I have no idea what to do with this type of yarn and I'm almost scared to just try something because it seems so delicate and I don't want to ruin it.I'd say an afgahn but I have never actually made one of those!:no So now, I have... let's see... 1706 yards (624 oz./1560 meters) of the wrong type of yarn and yarn that I'm almost scared to even use! Silly me not checking what I needed... No. Not checkign and then remembering! The only redeeming factor is that it was on sale! yay sales! :clap

Thanks for all the help! I actually really love the yarn so I think I'll pass on the selling. I suppose the appropriate thing is that I'm almost scared to ruin the yarn by frogging it since i do that so many times when I start a new project and literally have to force myself not to do it after the 20th time! It seems so delicate and I've only ever really worked with worsted weight since generally I don't have the money to buy anything else!

It works up into a very pretty, soft and fluffy sweater - I made a shrug from some it's on the wearables thread (shrug-a-licious) - but you are right to be worried about frogging it - it doesn't tolerate that well, however - it does hide mistakes well! Bet you fall in love with it.

if you have to frog it all you have to do is gently tug it while holding on to the other side. not how most of us just ripppps as we go, you have to hold the other side. good luck sounds beautiful:manyheart what color is it?:yarn

I know this sounds awful but it reminds me of carpet that you see in the doctor's office waiting room or something! :lol It's the dark navy blue with light blue flecks. I adore the color, probably because it does remind me of carpet!

OOOH! Boucle is my favorite Yarn to make afghans out of. If you hold two strands together and use a Q hook it works up really fluffy and soft. Added bonus, the looser stiches pull out easier if you have to frog it. I know well since I am currently frogging the one I started for my Brother-in-Law for christmas. I made it way to wide and didn't think it a big deal until I realized how much it was going to take to make it somewhere near square.

Hmmm... that's acutally a really good idea. I do have two HUGE balls of it so it would make a very pretty afgahn and I keep reading more and more about these afgahns but I've already been slightly afraid to attempt it because it's such a huge project but I think the yarn is begging me make it into something like that. :scrachin Now just to find a really pretty and simple pattern.

I've used boucle to make shawls, capelets, hats, all kinds of things. It is lovely yarn and now they make it for babies.

Your original post said the yarn should have been mohair and you are worried about frogging boucle! Mohair can be a bigger nightmare to frog. All that fluff tangles on itself driving you mad. I used some mohair to make a broomstick lace shawl and had to frog it. You have to be so careful pulling it out that you feell like:bang :thair:yell

The price we pay to create:shrug

Archived