Yarn Search Driving me over the Edge!

Okay, so my best friend requested a hat, scarf, mitten set from Etaria's Crochet Garden. I'm pleased to do this. I decided to make it in DK/sportweight yarn to give it more drape and make it less bulky.

I have tried out several different kinds of yarn, and last week finally decided to order Plymouth Dreambaby DK to try out. According to Yarndex, color 128 is gray. That's what I ordered. I got my order yesterday, and I can't be more thrilled with the quality of the yarn---it is a microfiber/nylon blend, machine washable and dryable, and it is so, so soft and allegedly resists pilling. AND it is affordable (moreso than my first choice which was Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino DK or RYC Cashsoft DK).

HOWEVER, Color 128 is clearly a light blue---kind of a muted blue with perhaps a touch of gray. My friend is *very* stylish (she's a law student, so very professional), and she has pale skin and red hair, so this color may not be very flattering.

She asked for gray, black, or a rich wine color. Of course, the yarn I've fallen in love with doesn't have a gray, it has a darker color which may be brown or black (I've sent an email inquiry), and it has bright red.

I took pictures of the yarn I have and sent an email to my friend explaining the situation, and she said black would be okay, and maybe even the blue would be okay; she has mostly black and gray clothes. She admitted that the blue wouldnt match all of her clothes, but that she would be happy withwhatever I made her (bless her).

Then she says she really likes tweeds and asks how yarns get that "tweedy" look. Obviuosly this is not a yarn that comes in tweeds, and I've yet to find any tweeds that come in DK or sportweight---she thought a black, gray, white would be nice.

I am goign to rip my hair out. Why must buying yarn be so difficult sometimes???

Does anyone have any suggestions? What should I do? The place I ordered the yarn from does allow yarn returns within 30 days of the ship date as long as the yarn bands are in tact and the yarn isn't smelly.

Thank you for reading the ravings of a mad woman,

Nicole

Those tweeds are really lovely, but softness and ease of care is an issue, so I don't really want to order anything 100% wool.

I've had some people offer to buy the yarn for me, and they helped pick out the yarn themselves, but this friend is absurdly busy with law school, and she's the editor of law review, so she doesn't have time to look for yarn and she lives across the country so she'd have to go by herself and she hasn't a clue about yarn.

I'll keep looking around; I'm just frustrated.

Nicole

You can get a nice tweedy effect by using 2 strands of yarn. The effect is prettier and more subtle if you use similar colors with one being just a little lighter than the other. One of the strands could also be lighter (i.e. skinnier) than the other.

Joan

I recently took an order for a scarf/hat set and dealt with similiar frustrations. This woman was picky about the color, and I finally found it but the yarn was expensive. I started making the scarf but ran out for the hat. The woman obviously didn't want to pay more and I understood since I guessed wrong on the yarn amount. I know the style of the scarf is fairly popular, so I don't think I'll have problems selling it to someone else.

What I learned from my experience is to just pick what colors I know I can find and give people a limited number of choices rather tham me running all over looking for the right color/weight/etc. of yarn. I know from previous experience to never let customers buy stuff on their own because no matter how careful you make the shopping list, they truly don't know what they are buying and will bring you something completely different, yet fully expecting the results to be the same.

You've got a very kind friend to be accepting of whatever you make for her.

Thanks everyone; Joan, i did tell her I could do that, using a fingering weight yarn with a DK or sportweight yarn, but I also found another kind of yarn--Sirdar Snuggly DK that has the desired colors. I sent off an email to her, so we'll see what she decides.

Shannon---I think in the future i am going to worry a lot less about the color and just go with my gut. This particular friends is great because she LOVES handmade gifts and knows their value, so she'll be happy with it no matter what. I have others on my list who are less accepting, but you can't be lucky all the time, I guess. I probably put more pressure on myself to find the "perfect" yarn because I know she will appreciate the gift more than most other friends/family might. I just wanted it to be the best for her, you know?

Thanks again, everyone,

Nicole

Nicole,

I think that if your friend has mostly greys and blacks in her wardrobe that a nice blue as an accent piece would have been beautiful. A nice lovely complementary color for the scarf draped around the neck of a black suit is very pretty to me.

Archived