I'm Mad at my Yarn *warning rant*

This morning I was having a good day. Now it is mid-morning and my day is bad.:rant I have been working on and off doing a scarf for my daughter for Christmas. It in my opinion is beautiful and very, very soft. I think she will love it. It is a extremely long scarf. It will go to her knees when it is not wrapped around her neck. I have been very pleased so far. But as I was crocheting along this morning I found this :thair

[Click on photo to enlarge]

th_2006_1114ChanScarf1.jpg

and now I am not so very pleased. I am almost finished with this scarf.

[Click on photo to enlarge]

th_2006_1114ChanScarf2.jpg

I only have about a 12" to go. This scarf has 7 skeins of yarn (at $5.99 a piece = $41.93) in it. Soft, beautiful lovely yarn. I am inches away from finishing it and now I can't. If I cut out the section that is bad and weave in the ends I will be about 2" short of the end of the scarf. So I am MAD!!!!! :bang I just want to cry. :cry

It is a beautiful scarf, and the yarn looks lovely, too. What a disappointment. It seems lots of people are hating their yarn today.

I'm wondering if you just finish it with what you have---and be about 2" short, will it really be that noticeable? The scarf is curly, anyway, and most people probably wouldnt notice it. That's my only idea . . .

Nicole

Gosh Darn those flaws!!!!!!:thair

I made a scarf for my Grandmother once, using Lion Brand Homespun yarn, and I came across (towards the end of the scarf) a flaw as well. It was a HUGE discolored ugly knot, and I had to crochet it into the scarf. I didn't like it, but my Mom pointed out that because of the imperfection, it made the scarf all the more special :hug

of course, that was a big knot, and not a fray, so I understand your dilemma and feel frustrated in your favor :rant

It really is a Beautiful scarf, and as Yearnin' for Yarn pointed out, it won't be that big of a difference, and I'm sure your Daughter will love it all the same :heart

Oh, this is so painful. But I am going to frog the whole row and instead of doing 2 hdc in every stitch I will do 1 hdc in 2 sts, 2 hdc in next all the way across. That will make it so that I don't need to deal with the fray. Oh, I want to cry right now. I have been longing to finish that before I left today but I just don't think I will have time. :(

Don't frog it!!!

How long is the scarf before the fray???

How long did your daugher want it???

My daughter doesn't care how long it is. She just wanted a pretty and soft scarf. The scarf itself is like 5' long before the fray.

:eek I hate it when that happens, even in a cheap yarn.:eek

:think The first thing I would do, is go back to where I purchased the yarn and ask them to replace the whole ball or at least find you some to finish with.

The point is too, when you have a break like that, it means another join and in some crochet, the joins are not easy to hide so that would make me mad too.

They should help you, then they can deal with the distributor.

:cheer When I had my Wool Shop, I was always very quick to replace yarn like that, then I would get my refund from the Wholesaler.

:think I think your idea to crib a bit is a good one, if all else fails.

If anyone ever noticed that there was a stitch or two missing, they are too close.

Hope you can get this sorted.

Colleen.:hug

Perhaps it might be hard to join in and hide the ends, but would taking out a small section of the yarn actually make the whole thing 2" shorter? :think I've never run that close on making something and I always have yarn left over (hence the growing yarn stash)... I'm just thinking that doesn't look like that big of a place and while yeah I'd be upset too, the only problem would be weaving and hiding the ends? Unless I'm looking at this wrong and it's a huge big section of yarn? :think

Perhaps it might be hard to join in and hide the ends, but would taking out a small section of the yarn actually make the whole thing 2" shorter? :think I've never run that close on making something and I always have yarn left over (hence the growing yarn stash)... I'm just thinking that doesn't look like that big of a place and while yeah I'd be upset too, the only problem would be weaving and hiding the ends? Unless I'm looking at this wrong and it's a huge big section of yarn? :think

Yes it is hugh. I solved my problem or I should say my MIL solved my problem. She took me to get another skein and she marched into the store and demanded that the yarn be replaced (they were more than happy to replace it). So yes I frogged that skein of yarn. However I had to fix it somehow and this really was the best way. I am happy now, I think. I haven't started this skein yet so we will see. :xfin Cross your fingers for me.

I'm so glad you could get it replaced! I was making a bag last weekend and the thread I was using had knots in it as well as big blobs of thread that were just horrible. it was verigated pink and white and to get rid of the blobs I had to cut them off. They were only in the pink parts and when I cut them off the thread underneath was white so my colours aren't verigated right anymore and it was all the way through the **** skein!!!!:rant

I still have half the skein left and don't want to ever touch it again!! I feel your pain!:hug:rant

Do you have a yarn ball winder? Can you wind up the skein and make sure there are no bad spots in the new skein before you start with it? Better safe than sorry again . . . .

Do you have a yarn ball winder? Can you wind up the skein and make sure there are no bad spots in the new skein before you start with it? Better safe than sorry again . . . .

No Crocus, I don't. I wish I did, but I don't. I haven't started on the scarf again. I have been to busy trying to fix a a few other things that are going wrong right now and none of them are crocheted. I wish they were then I could fix them easier. Anyway to answer your question, no I do not... I'm thinking Christmas List.

I hate it when that happens. This is the biggest reason why I always (re)ball my yarn before using it. I resently learned how to wind a center pull ball by hand without using a ball winder. It was easier than I though it would be. The samething happened to me when I was making the Knotted cables pullover. I just went and cut the offending part out and baoght a new ball.

That was really cool that they replaced the defective ball for you.

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you, it is a gorgeous scarf. I have had this happen to me numerous times, and as well as the others, just cut out the offending part and just joined the the ends and weaved in the ends. It's good to hear they replaced the skein of yarn.

As Starr suggested, I also ball my yarn from the middle by hand. It takes some time but some time but it's worth it to save the headache of being in the middle of your project and having this happen.

Good Luck, again the scarf is gorgeous, love your colors and your doing a great job on it, I'm sure your daughter will love it.

Kim

Archived