"Nubia" from Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wendy79

I made this "nubia" for a Little House craftalong I'm participating in. Laura makes one for Mary's Christmas present when Mary goes away for college:

"The Christmas box had gone to Mary. In it Ma carefully placed the nubia that Laura had crocheted of soft, fleecy wool, as white as the big snowflakes falling gently outside the windows." (Little Town on the Prairie)

Based on that description (and the definition in an old needlework book: wide scarf 3 feet long), I used an 1860 lace pattern meant for thread, and brushed baby alpaca yarn, to create:

flatnubia.jpg

Gorgeous... :clap

I watch Lil House on the Pairie every single night on TVLand at 8pm. if I have a day off I watch it twice. I have all the books and her cookbook w/ pictures of all the "real" people and places.

I love your pattern also.

Great idea

:manyheart

kidge

what work you did on it!! it's beautiful!

I <3 little house .. i must get my books out and pass them along to my daughter...i am sure they will make lovely bedtime stories just the two of us.

Thats beautiful! I'd LOVE the opportunity to make something from "Little House".

I'd love to make something for my sister...she and I both read the books over and over again!

If I could make something from "Little House" that would be great!

Was it challenging?

How pretty and to be inspired from Little House & Laura. :cheer :cheer Yeah, there are other Little House fans. Those books have been a part of almost all my life. Oh how I wish I could go back to that time period.

I would love to be able to make this also, if it's possible please do share the pattern.

Happy Crocheting

Pam

Thanks, everyone, for your interest and comments! The 1860 lace pattern is from Beeton's Book of Needlework, which is in the public domain and available online. Many of you may be interested in the book, more for historical curiosity than as a source of patterns. A lot of the patterns are really crazy, and some are difficult to decipher. The book includes patterns for a number of crafts, including knitting, tatting, point lace, embroidery, and stuff I've never heard of.

The pattern I used has this illustration:lace.jpg

As you can see, it looks quite different in yarn! It wasn't really difficult once I deciphered the pattern--I wasn't familiar with the "purl" stitch, at least by that name; it's similar to picot--and I did some adaptation as I went.

I chose an 1860 lace pattern because I wanted it to approach historical accuracy for purposes of the craftalong, but didn't find any suitable patterns in yarn. I thought that at least this way there was a chance it might resemble something a girl would have made in those days. But if you like the nubia, I'd recommend using any lacy pattern you have and forgetting historical accuracy... it'll be much simpler! I used brushed alpaca because it had the look I wanted, but any brushed/mohair style yarn would give a similar effect.

Archived