Graph-ghan

cbaj26

cbaj26, you did a great job!

Thank you for the link to the instructions. I'm doing a very simple block afghan in tunisian crochet but DH really wants me to make an afghan with his favorite team logo.

I've already run the logo through Photoshop and the darklilac site (great minds think alike :D) but I don't know if it's better to work in panels or order one of those hooks with the long, flexible extension.

Did you make yours in one go or did you join panels together? If you joined panels, did you have a hard time avoiding a seamed look? The instructions you linked to made it look easy and the joins were almost invisible but I've tried it and joining seems to be an artform!

/rane

Rane,

I chose to split it into 2 panels (width-wise), since that was all that could fit onto my 14" afghan hook (I didn't have one of those flexible ones that you describe). I worked up the left side first and then used the panel joining technique described on that instructions site to build the 2nd panel, and join it to the 1st as I went. It looks seamless to me, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think anyone would be able to tell that it was 2 panels put together.

Once I figured out the concept of what the instructions were telling me to do, it wasn't too difficult to pick up. It's important to note that 1 afghan stitch = vertical bar + filler (to the right)..until the next vertical bar and so forth. The instructions kept pointing out the importance of this, and this helped a lot in deciphering the joining. Hope this helps. Good luck. It is worth it in the end!

:blush I have to admit that I looked and looked at the picture to see if I could find where you joined the panels and I can't see it.

I was really hoping you would tell me that you joined panels because I'm having trouble finding a super long hook and would be happy enough just using the one I have now. Now I know it's possible!!

Thank you for being so kind to share your tips with me.

rane

Archived