Graph-ghan

cbaj26

Check out this baby afghan that I made for an impending arrival! It took me ~2 months on and off (more off than on at times) to finish it. The colors are worked in, since I think it looks better than being x-stitched. It was my first time crocheting from a chart w/ the afghan stitch, so I kept my fingers crossed that it would turn out ok in the end. :whew It actually wasn't that bad at all, so I hope this gives an extra confidence boost to those who want to venture into charts for the first time.

Props to anyone that recognizes the logo!

nuafghan.jpg

Beautifully done. I never used the afghan stitch, I usually use the sc. I enevy anyone who can.

How about Penn State Nitney Lions? (spelling I know is off):hook

Sorry now that I look at it, the colors may be wrong for that team. I don't follow college ball.

WOW that is really impressive. The detail is amazing.

My 12yo DS asked me to make him a University of Michigan afghan. I'm like that would take me forever so I ordered him a fleece one.:blush:no:blush

But after seeing yours I wish I would have tried. Where'd you get the graph pattern?

That is really kool! I want to try this with the tunisian and the colors worked right in....I have an idea but I havent gotten the nerve to try it .But yours really got me in the mood to go ahead and give it a try..I will try something simple with not too much color change.Really nice job.

Woohooo! Gorgeous! I am tucking in the last 1/3 of my ends on my graph ghan right now.

Please! I want details! How large was your graph? What size hook did you use. What type of yarn did you use?

Are you totally hooked on tunisian graph ghans now? I am!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Here are some more details:

I started with the logo that I found on the internet (sportslogos.net), which I cleaned up in Photoshop to reduce the number of colors so it would translate well on a chart. Next, I ran it through a free online stitch chart generator (Darklilac). After that, it was all about figuring out how to work color changes into the afghan stitch technique, which I did from this great site (here). Two months later, it was finished! I did the border in 2 rows of double crochet. I thought that this would help the edges from curling (it kind of worked). The dimensions of the graph was ~37w x 96h or so. I added more purple columns and rows to the chart, to get the final afghan to the size that I wanted. I think the total (after the padding) was 120w x 160h. I used RHSS yarn w/ a size J afghan hook (14" long). I built the left half first, and then did the 2nd half (crocheting it to the left half as I went).

It got a little tedious at times, especially when there was a lot of color changing going on and I had numerous strands of yarn that I was dealing with. Weaving in all the loose ends at the end wasn't much fun either. But overall, I loved the technique. It's more engaging than the typical afghan pattern which just repeats itself over and over again. I don't get as bored when I can see the design take shape with each row. I've also found that the afghan stitch is much faster than doing sc's.

If you've never done one before, give it a try! I would consider myself a novice crocheter at best, so if I can do it I'm sure all of you can as well. Good luck!

cbaj26, you did a great job!

Thank you for the link to the instructions. I'm doing a very simple block afghan in tunisian crochet but DH really wants me to make an afghan with his favorite team logo.

I've already run the logo through Photoshop and the darklilac site (great minds think alike :D) but I don't know if it's better to work in panels or order one of those hooks with the long, flexible extension.

Did you make yours in one go or did you join panels together? If you joined panels, did you have a hard time avoiding a seamed look? The instructions you linked to made it look easy and the joins were almost invisible but I've tried it and joining seems to be an artform!

/rane

It's hard to believe that this is your first graph afghan. You are truly an inspiration to those of us who have never tried using a graph. I think I'll start with something smaller, though, like a cap or potholder.

Did you make yours in one go or did you join panels together? If you joined panels, did you have a hard time avoiding a seamed look? The instructions you linked to made it look easy and the joins were almost invisible but I've tried it and joining seems to be an artform!

Elmo was made in one large panel and then a border added on. Once again, I recommend Kim's color change class that is coming up! Because the color changes really aren't that difficult.

http://home.comcast.net/~kguzman/chatroom.html

Archived