Professional Crochetter?

My friend is working on her certification in tatting as a challenge to herself. She tats simply for the joy of it and makes beautiful gifts. She's never sold an item and probably wouldn't be interested in that anyway, although her tatting group submitted things to the county fair for the first time this year. She sees completing the course as a challenge to herself that her tatting group can't provide. I'm sure many people feel the same way about the knitting and crocheting programs, too.

Patty

My friend is working on her certification in tatting as a challenge to herself. She tats simply for the joy of it and makes beautiful gifts. She's never sold an item and probably wouldn't be interested in that anyway, although her tatting group submitted things to the county fair for the first time this year. She sees completing the course as a challenge to herself that her tatting group can't provide. I'm sure many people feel the same way about the knitting and crocheting programs, too.

Patty

You know....this post makes me rethink my entire position on this. Thanks for posting this Patty. :hook

The challenge to myself is exactly why I plan to do the programs at a later date. I'm a fairly new crocheter but I enjoy it and would like to challenge myself.

Sure the paper would be nice and I think I'd even like to teach so that makes it more appealing but it's more than that to me.

I think the most challenging aspect will be to see if I can think outside of the box. Can I take the pieces and put them together and get what is asked of me or am I not able to do that, am I limited to pre-written patterns? It's all about a challenge for me. :)

I've done the research and discovered that if you would ever want to teach a professional class, say at JoAnn's or Michael's, you would need to be certified...This is not to say that there aren't already qualified people out there, it's just so that the art of crochet isn't 'misrepresented' to the point that people are turned off...the folks at JoAnn's and Michael's are reassured that the person they've hired to teach the class won't 'flake out' on them, and that this person agrees with the teaching philosophies of the CYCA and the CGOA, as well as being able to competently and confidently teach the materials and skills to as many age groups and learning styles as possible.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but had to comment on this one. Michaels does NOT require certification to teach. It looks good yes, but it's not a requirement at all.

Now as far as the course, I was probably one of the ones on the other thread that didn't see the need. My thoughts on that remain the same UNLESS someone wants to meet the challenge for themselves OR are offering classes.. which I've started doing recently. I'm strongly considering the knitting and crocheting instructor certification just so it looks good on a resume and if it helps me get students then that's just a big bonus :) Since teaching is something I actually want to pursue with this I think it's an investment in my credentials. How many people do we all know that say "oh I can crochet".. then you find out their crochet consists of a long chain and not alot else? lol Kind of like some of the horseback "riders" I know.. there's riding.. and then there's RIDING.. same with crochet. Anyone can learn to crochet but passing a certification course in instruction means beyond a doubt you can CROCHET. In the every day world that probably doesn't matter, but if it gives me the credentials to get someone to signup in one of my classes as opposed to someone else's class then it's a benefit to me. And truthfully if I was seeking out instructors I'd want one that was endorsed by somewhere professional.

I plan on taking the CYCA Instructor class for crochet after the first of the year and knitting as soon as I finish up the first set :) I don't need it to prove to myself that I can crochet, but it helps back up to others when they ask me what experience level I am ;)

Good points Donna! :clap I've been following this thread too, and was wondering who told her that you needed to be certified to teach at Michaels and JoAnn's. THere are regulars on this board that teach at these places that are not certified (to my limited knowledge), at least I've never heard/read them state that they are, nor ever read it on their blogs, and I think I've 'bout visited them all at some point.

In my humble opionion, it's a personal choice. If you want to, and desire the challenge, then by all means absolutely do it, and as you (Donna) stated above, it will back you up when you tell others you can crochet. But it's not required, to learn and educate one's self and enjoy all aspects of crochet, and master every known crochet stitch. As another poster said, our work (I think at this point) would speak for itself.

I've been thinking even more about this thread since I posted this morning, and wondering about challenging myself as a crocheter. I mean, after all, I really just use the same few stitches in every project. The only new stitch I used all year was the Solomon's knot for a shawl I made my mom. Maybe next year I should slog my way through the Crochet Stitch Bible, than the lace book I bought last month, to stretch my crochet brain cells. My current challenge: I knitting my BIL a scarf for Christmas. A very exasperating experience for me as I'm a very slow knitter! (He got a crocheted one from me last year.)

Patty, knitting challenged and longing for her hook :hook

hahah Patty you and me both.. but I'm bound and determined I"m going to get at least as good at knitting as I am at crochet.. I may kill myself doing that but we'll get there! faint.gif

Jenny.. exactly! I've sure changed my mind about it all :)

I got my info earlier in the year from the CYCA website, when reading the course description for the teaching certification. They were saying that Michael's was looking for certified teachers, and I apologize if I mis-spoke. Here is the link to the page I was talking about:

CYCA

Some of the stores might not currently have certified teachers, but it looks to me like they're looking for some, or looking to have their current teachers ceritified, if they aren't already.

First I've heard about that Tracey though maybe they just mean certified in that they know what they are doing? My store manager had me bring in alot of samples and even walk her through a few beginning steps.. but most important I think was my personality and how I talked to others and looked them in the eye (her words exactly) So maybe they don't mean "certified" in the truest sense? After all, they have beading, scrapbooking and one stroke instructors too.. do they all have to be working towards some sort of certification. I would honestly doubt the individual stores even know about the CYCA lol I have never heard one word about it from anyone there or any mention of being a certified instructor.

I know that One Stroke does require a certificate from Donna Dewberry but I don't think there is a Nifty Knitter Assoc. or a Beaders Anonymous organization ;)

Personally I think that certifications can be both positive and negative. They do allow for some quality control but at the same time in the computer field (for example) if you can take a multiple choice test you can become certified and still have no clue what you are doing but in the crafts field, to get certified you do have to actually KNOW what is being tested - it's much harder to fake.

Dear all,

Thank you to this exciting conversation concerning becoming a learned, educated, professional and or challenged crocheter. Also please, all feel comfortable in sharing your courteous thoughts and statements.

Here are some more questions

What if you could become certified in a specialization area of crocheting?

Say you wanted to be certified in hairpin lace or Tunisian or crochetknit and so on. Would you be interested in certification in them?

If courses were in categories where you could pay just for that particular area would you be interested (this of course would be under the understanding you are not a newbie but someone that has the grasp on basic stitches)?

Would you take that certification course for 3 months or 6 months? How much would you pay per course?

Remember these would be “in-depth” courses.

Things like:

· History of stitch- with tests

· History of tools- used with tests

· Basic stitches- with tests

· Advanced stitches -with tests

· Completed projects using the types of stitch work that are graded

Just to name a few things I can see.

Thanks in advance in answering

What if you could become certified in a specialization area of crocheting?
I like this idea, if simply because it acknowledges that crochet is not just a "grandma" craft. It's a skill requiring multiple techniques.

That said, I wouldn't even consider a specialized course from any organization unless they first offered a well-planned and executed basic crochet course. After everything I've heard about the CGOA course, I would want some assurance that my efforts wouldn't be wasted due to a flaky judge or some such.

Would you take that certification course for 3 months or 6 months? How much would you pay per course?
Three months for a specialized course. What I'd pay would depend on the technique and the way the course is taught. Is it one-on-one online with the instructor, or do you just get written instructions and send your samples in for grading? I'd prefer the latter, and would pay no more than $50.00 for the course. It would be great if I could just pick and choose the courses I want (no prerequisites). I'd love to learn all the advanced stitches but wouldn't be interested in a "history of crochet" course.

BTW, good questions :)

I like this idea, if simply because it acknowledges that crochet is not just a "grandma" craft. It's a skill requiring multiple techniques.

That said, I wouldn't even consider a specialized course from any organization unless they first offered a well-planned and executed basic crochet course. After everything I've heard about the CGOA course, I would want some assurance that my efforts wouldn't be wasted due to a flaky judge or some such./quote]

A cerification isn't going to make the perception of crocheting being a "grandma" craft go away. I'm a grandma, I crochet., and alot of the "sweet young things" who are now just learning to crochet will be grandma's one day ,too. My mother crochets, and so did my grandmother. The things I crochet are nothing like the things my grandmother crocheted. Only as more contemporary designs are seen being worn and made and used, will the image of crocheting as a being something "old fashioned and out of date" change. Besides, aren't there knitters out there who are grandma's and didn't their grandma's knit also, so that could also be termed a "grandma's" craft.

..as to the "flakey judges"... anytime someone is judging an actual thing, be it a carving, a pot roast, a painting or a crocheted square, whether it is "perfect" or not depends on the opinion of the person judging it. It doesn't mean that the judge is flakey, jsut a human whose opinon is not the same as our own.

A certification is not quality control, the only thing that a certification does, is certify that , at the time a test/several test were taken or task assigned, the person w/the cert answered all the questions crrectly or submitted an assignment that met certain requirements. It does not mean that the person is actually good at what they are certified in, or that they will continue to meet the standards. And for a craft, unless the crocheting is done in front of the person doing the certifying , there is no way to insure that the portfolio of squares that are mailed to the certifier were actually crocheted by the perosn submitting them.

I got my info earlier in the year from the CYCA website, when reading the course description for the teaching certification. They were saying that Michael's was looking for certified teachers, and I apologize if I mis-spoke. Here is the link to the page I was talking about:

CYCA

Some of the stores might not currently have certified teachers, but it looks to me like they're looking for some, or looking to have their current teachers ceritified, if they aren't already.

I teach beading and crochet at a Michels store and they haven't told me anything about needing to get certified. When they hired me they seemed to go with examples of my work/personality and teaching ability. I have had patterns published in magazines also and none of them said anything about getting certified. I think the ad for the course is trying to make it look like if you are certified then you can make money with it. I get just a few students a month at Michaels and magazines dont pay that much considering how many hours you put into making prototypes when desiging etc. I WISH it were possible to make a living with it!

I would love to learn more about the math of design but I don't think these courses teach that. Maybe a sewing course would be better for that.

.as to the "flakey judges"... anytime someone is judging an actual thing, be it a carving, a pot roast, a painting or a crocheted square, whether it is "perfect" or not depends on the opinion of the person judging it. It doesn't mean that the judge is flakey, jsut a human whose opinon is not the same as our own.
I meant "flaky" as in unreliable. Several crocheters who went through the CGOA course have posted (on various boards) that the judges couldn't be counted on to do their jobs reliably. So many personal issues got in the way (family illnesses, personal emergencies, etc.). I'm not heartless, but there needs to be a backup plan in case a judge has a personal emergency and cannot fulfill his/her duties. It's not fair to the crocheters who pay good money for the course.

Of course, we may or may not always agree with any judge.

I still think that a good certification course will only affect the perception of crochet in a positive way. Crochet isn't only for grandmas, although many people still believe this.

I meant "flaky" as in unreliable. Several crocheters who went through the CGOA course have posted (on various boards) that the judges couldn't be counted on to do their jobs reliably.

Do you think that is because the instructors are doing for free? That there is a level of dedication to doing the program long term?

If it was a business- some place that is dedicated to offering a good educational course and had measurable goals and defined criteria that was uniformed and timely?

Wow, the judges are doing it for free? Where did all the money go that paid for the course? I assumed a chunk was for the judges. (I hope that didn't sound as harsh as it looks. Grin. This was truly a surprised voice, not harsh voice.)

Do you think that is because the instructors are doing for free?
Oy! I had no idea that the judges on CGOA were not being compensated for their work/time. :eek That completely changes my perspective. I would certainly cut anyone who volunteered their time a lot more slack than someone who got paid. <<Now that's dedication to the art of crochet.>>

If it was a business- some place that is dedicated to offering a good educational course and had measurable goals and defined criteria that was uniformed and timely?
Absolutely. That would be fantastic. Of course, as a business I'd think that the instructors/judges would be paid. <<Forgive me, I'm still floored to hear that CGOA judges are volunteers.>>

It would be cool if the local community college offered crochet courses as part of a degree in textiles or needlearts. Not likely, though, since we can't even get a basic sewing class there anymore :(

Archived