Professional Crochetter?

Hi! I heard recently a whispering that you could become a professional, or master crochetter, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about that. I think that would be neat, and wondered if there are things you can do as a master crochetter, like test patterns professionally. Does anyone know where I can find more information? Thanks so much!

Victoria:manyheart

PS

I'm not saying that I'm THAT good, it's just a goal to work toward, and would be neat.

I think this http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10322&highlight=masters discussion from a while back would be of interest to you....it is about the Masters program the CGOA offers. It is interesting, but I am not sure if it is worth the work and price. Still, the challenge would be fun. What do you think?

I think this http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10322&highlight=masters discussion from a while back would be of interest to you....it is about the Masters program the CGOA offers. It is interesting, but I am not sure if it is worth the work and price. Still, the challenge would be fun. What do you think?

I have to agree. I seriously considered it once, and after weighing out my thoughts and the money it would cost, I decided that the money was not worth having someone else pronounce me a "master" (after all, its crochet, not astrophysics). It looks nice on a resume' and there are those who will say its great and well worth the money. But my feelings are that the title is not required to teach, test patterns, nor to create, and there are a multitude of extreamly talented and published designers now and in the past, who never held this title and have provided us with beautiful crocheted projects to keep our fingers busy. I also asked my self (when considering this program) who decided those at the CGOA "schooled" enough to pronounce someone else a "master". If you have the time, and the money, and like the "warm-fuzzy" that comes with the title, then I'd say go for it. But it's not requried to enjoy all aspects crochet, mentioned above. Call me a Negative-Nancy, but I kinda thought it was just a way that the CGOA could make money.

I have just recently considered this course and I do think there is something to be said for it in a couple of ways.

You have to discipline yourself to meet the requirements - it wouldn't kill most of us to do this (this is def preaching to the pastor time)

There are places where having a piece of paper makes life easier - it's shorthand for I can do this. We crocheters know that the proof of the pudding is in the taste but people out there like the little pieces of paper and bits of alphabet soup.

i did not find the price that high for up front costs. I had planned to use my local library to offer the classes and assumed it would be a freebie if I did community teaching. didn't ask so don't know.

I am still giving this prayerful thought. i have no illusions that I would be a different or even better crocheter after this but it is an option.

I think this http://www.crochetville.org/forum/sh...hlight=masters discussion from a while back would be of interest to you....it is about the Masters program the CGOA offers. It is interesting, but I am not sure if it is worth the work and price.
I agree....after reading (and responding in) that thread (and others on other boards) I wouldn't spend the time and money on this program. It seemed (to me) that the folks handling it at CGOA were just a little too flaky. I can see why a Master Knitter certificate is so much more respected than a Master Crocheter one. The Knitting Guild of America runs a much tighter ship, in that respect.

Don't mean to get anyone's dander up. I'm just peeved that the CGOA doesn't seem to take this very seriously.

I figure if people will pay me for my finished crochet products,that makes me a "professional" crocheter without the piece of paper.;)
Exactly! :)

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, however, I do need to add my :2c to the mix. I plan to take the course after the holidays--I've been trying to save up, but as the commercial says, "Life happens". Anyway, it's not the CGOA that offers the course, but the CYCA (Craft Yarn Council of America). I've done the research and discovered that if you would ever want to teach a professional class, say at JoAnn's or Michael's, you would need to be certified...This is not to say that there aren't already qualified people out there, it's just so that the art of crochet isn't 'misrepresented' to the point that people are turned off...the folks at JoAnn's and Michael's are reassured that the person they've hired to teach the class won't 'flake out' on them, and that this person agrees with the teaching philosophies of the CYCA and the CGOA, as well as being able to competently and confidently teach the materials and skills to as many age groups and learning styles as possible. Coming from an educational standpoint (I was an ed. major in college), I agree with this philosophy. Mind you, not all LYSs will require this certification, and it's not just to get "warm fuzzies" from a piece of paper. Granted, that paper isn't important, but what you do to get it, is. It is $100 for Levels I & II, and you not only have to provide evidence of your crocheting skills, but also provide evidence that you can develop an appropriate lesson plan for any particular class (I just read a post the other day from this past spring...It was sad that this lady's teacher that she was paying $15/class to teach her made everyone in the class buy really expensive yarn, an innapropriate afghan pattern when they should have been doing something smaller to begin with, say a scarf, and everyone dropped out of the class but her...It made me livid that someone would have the nerve to do something like that!). To me, becoming a Master crocheter would be an honor, and you do get on testing lists for yarn companies and designers who would contact you. This gives them a piece of mind that the person they're investing in wouldn't turn their product or design into something they didn't have in mind. I certainly intend to do this and I can't wait!! :manyheart

I agree with most of what has been said so far. If you really want this...go for it. It won't hurt & might help in some areas. I have taught both crochet & knitting through a community education program. I have also taught it privately. I've had 2 people drop out of my classes in the last 10 yrs. Not a bad average. I learned how to crochet in 1958. So far, I have not come across a pattern that I couldn't follow or a st. I can't do. I've seen a few on this forum that appeared to be very difficult but as I haven't tried them yet, I don't know.I've also designed a lot of my own patterns although I haven't sold them. Actually haven't tried. The only part of being declared a master that would thrill me, is being contacted for testing new pattern & yarns. That would be wonderful.

I figure if people will pay me for my finished crochet products,that makes me a "professional" crocheter without the piece of paper.;)

Not to get all serious about this but....

Did you really mean this?

I agree....after reading (and responding in) that thread (and others on other boards) I wouldn't spend the time and money on this program. It seemed (to me) that the folks handling it at CGOA were just a little too flaky. I can see why a Master Knitter certificate is so much more respected than a Master Crocheter one.

What makes the knitted course different? What would you be looking for in a crochet course, if you were looking for one? What do you want from the final result?

I have just recently considered this course and I do think there is something to be said for it in a couple of ways.

I am still giving this prayerful thought. i have no illusions that I would be a different or even better crocheter after this but it is an option.

Thank you for considering that education is a worthwhile endeavor. I personally see seeking education as a maturity of the art of crochet. To seek it means you are challenging yourself to learn about the many aspects of crochet. In quest of education is not always about making money.

Throughout my crocheting, I have been putting together a crochet course of what I want to learn more in depth. I wanted it to be challenging. My friends that have seen it, want to take it but I have not tweaked it enough. And as many of the comments here, the questions that plagues me is "what will you get from this" if you take it. Is it enough to learn? So I am working that part out still, the reward beyond you learning.

Working in a college atmosphere a few years back, I saw so many persons get so much more from education than, the weighing of cost versus job paycheck.

Good Luck in your decision.

Thank you for considering that education is a worthwhile endeavor. I personally see seeking education as a maturity of the art of crochet. To seek it means you are challenging yourself to learn about the many aspects of crochet. In quest of education is not always about making money.

True. But this endeavor can be achieved just as indepthly and with the same gratifying, satisfying results, without paying someone for a piece of paper.

And yes. I have to agree with the other poster. Someone who thinks my work is worth paying their hard earned money for, says "master" enough to me. Co-workers, friends at church, family members friends, who see my designs and litterally BEG me to make them one, says much more to me, than anything the CGOA or CYC could ever dole out.

Quote:Throughout my crocheting, I have been putting together a crochet course of what I want to learn more in depth. I wanted it to be challenging. My friends that have seen it, want to take it but I have not tweaked it enough. And as many of the comments here, the questions that plagues me is "what will you get from this" if you take it. Is it enough to learn? So I am working that part out still, the reward beyond you learning. Quote

You should be commended for that, and I'd be interested to see what your final results are.

As for not being able to teach without the certification, there are those who regularly visit this board who teach in craft stores, publish designs, and nicely supplement their income (some even make their living at it), and they are not certified. If one wants to pursue the title, who have the time and money, abosolutely go for it. Unless pattern/design publishers (heaven forbid!) start requireing the title as a prerequisite to publishing one's designs, IMO, then it's just a fluffy title. Ok! I'll shut up already :) :)

I am going to add a twisted thoughts to this discussion.

How about making the courses worthwhile? If you feel that the course is not worthy tell them why you feel this way and ask that it be raised to the level you are seeking. If they do not, look elsewhere.

When you find the course that is what you are looking for, make it worthwhile. Tell your jobs, craft stores and yarn shops that "you" are taking your education seroiusly through taking these courses and show them that you know more and are versatile in what you do.

This way, the fashion industry, book companies, and other areas acknowledge that crocheting is a part of these industries because of the education you have taken. To elevate crochet by the tool of education, will allow for crocheters that choose it as a lifestyle to allow it to support them.

OK OK off my education soap box.

I know I said I'd shut up:P but I have one thought. I could see this happening. what if the book companies/publishers started requiring that all those who submit patterns for publishing consideration, have the "master" title. How many designs would we miss out on? and if they did start requiring this "education", I can see CGOA CYC or whomever it is that's giving this course, going up sharply on the fee's they charge for this ("They're requiring our invented title! Cha Ching!"). If that happened, then crochet becomes part of the corporate money machine, lots of talented designers would never get published, and we all would suffer in the end. Yeah, I know...that's way out in left field (sorry, left field is my home :hook ). But it could happen.

As for them taking us seriously, I think our work speaks for itself. Alright, shutting up.

True. But this endeavor can be achieved just as indepthly and with the same gratifying, satisfying results, without paying someone for a piece of paper.

I agree.

I can't tell you how much I, a very experinced crocheter, have learned from this board; new books; and the internet. I've seen others here learn and continue to learn the same way.

I doubt I'll ever take that course. I have mixed feelings about it but that's a whole other debate and debates aren't allowed here. ;)

I figure if people will pay me for my finished crochet products,that makes me a "professional" crocheter without the piece of paper.

Again I agree. Anytime you get paid for something in any other field it makes you a professional. So it should be true of crocheting.

Tracey, I applaud your efforts to achieve a more professional level of expertise.

I was a volunteer trainer in Literacy for 15 years and being professional is not about getting paid. I was never paid a cent and in fact spent money to do what I did but our team was consistently said to be very professional in evaluations.

You do stand in the place of organizations and it helps them to know that you can present yourself and therefore their companies in a professional manner.

It depends on what you want to do with your skill. I believe that people would listen if I had that piece of paper. The library would be more likely to listen if I said it was a course requirement and could I please...

No one is made to go and do this so to each his own.

No judgements here of anyone but I do give credit to Tracey for wanting to move to a higher level.

And yes. I have to agree with the other poster. Someone who thinks my work is worth paying their hard earned money for, says "master" enough to me. Co-workers, friends at church, family members friends, who see my designs and litterally BEG me to make them one, says much more to me, than anything the CGOA or CYC could ever dole out.

Quote:Throughout my crocheting, I have been putting together a crochet course of what I want to learn more in depth. I wanted it to be challenging. My friends that have seen it, want to take it but I have not tweaked it enough. And as many of the comments here, the questions that plagues me is "what will you get from this" if you take it. Is it enough to learn? So I am working that part out still, the reward beyond you learning. Quote

You should be commended for that, and I'd be interested to see what your final results are.

As for not being able to teach without the certification, there are those who regularly visit this board who teach in craft stores, publish designs, and nicely supplement their income (some even make their living at it), and they are not certified. If one wants to pursue the title, who have the time and money, abosolutely go for it. Unless pattern/design publishers (heaven forbid!) start requireing the title as a prerequisite to publishing one's designs, IMO, then it's just a fluffy title. Ok! I'll shut up already :) :)

First you don't have to "shut up all ready" I like your input.

Your certificate thoughts are the same as I felt about getting married 25 years back. Hehehe. But the Government made me a deal I could not turn down, better return on my dollar. As to the education of it well..... I do have the certificate i.e. marriage license.

Craft store teaching does not make a living for the majority with insurance in the picture. As you say; supplement income but... I know more that do not, after considering, the drive to and from and many times once there they do not have a full class. Also it is not consistent. I know many that are teaching at craft stores to fulfill the CYCA certificate program in teaching. Once they do they hope to leave the craft stores. To where I am not sure.

I think that there is a hang up on the word "Master". Would it be better if, it was aligned with college verbiage? Or possibly more levels?

As to many of the actual professional designers, many of them do hold degrees, not in crocheting obviously, but have completed many fiber arts or fashion courses. Many also have earned their stripes through teaching, not just crocheting but actual teaching.

Humm... I look back at my time now and wish there was an actual course in college I could have taken because at this stage of my life, my 33 years of crocheting are, as you say gratifying BUT leaving me wanting for more because, I have "wandered around" in crocheting for those years. Now, I see the importance of having an education (direction) in place that I can speak eloquently and successfully on crocheting not for the bucks but for the reaching of my personal satifaction.

Thank you again for the conversation. I find it stimulating.

I know I said I'd shut up:P but I have one thought. I could see this happening. what if the book companies/publishers started requiring that all those who submit patterns for publishing consideration, have the "master" title. How many designs would we miss out on? and if they did start requiring this "education", I can see CGOA CYC or whomever it is that's giving this course, going up sharply on the fee's they charge for this ("They're requiring our invented title! Cha Ching!"). If that happened, then crochet becomes part of the corporate money machine, lots of talented designers would never get published, and we all would suffer in the end. Yeah, I know...that's way out in left field (sorry, left field is my home :hook ). But it could happen.

As for them taking us seriously, I think our work speaks for itself. Alright, shutting up.

Oh wow! I like this one!

I think you are looking at this from the wrong end of the spy glass.

I know for a fact that there are pattern editors employed by the book companies to actually get the "design" capable of even being published. The favorite "leaflet company" employs mathematicians that format those designs so that they are correct. Those people are the best paid in the industry. I asked the mathematician on one of my tour/visits how can they crochet after "fixing" so many of the designs that come in. Their answer was "very carefully". I did not envy them.

I was chatting with a group that were doing a crochet along and they said there were so many errors, in a popular current project, it took one of their mathematical persons to rewrite it so that it would come out properly.

Right now, there is such a demand for crochet and from my spy glass view I see that there is more knitters that are picking up the crochet designing than crochet designers.

So back to the education of crocheting, I think it might need a math course in it. A fun one of course!

Well, I do not see the publishing requiring BUT I would think that if you do the work via the degree they would lean to you because they would not have to employ another person just to ensure that the pattern is technically correct. It should get you published and paid it will be well worth it.

Again thank you for the conversation. I love your views.

I'm confused by Tracey's post about the CYCA being the group offering the course.

There's nothing on the CGOA description of their Masters' program that states another organization is involved:

http://www.crochet.org/masters/basic.html

And what I've read in the various threads about the CGOA program makes no reference to another org being responsible for the process of judging. Also nothing about levels of education.

The Craft Yarn Council of America offers a program in teaching:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/teach.html

which is very cool. But it is a completely different thing, right?

The CGOA program establishes a baseline of competence in the mechanics of crochet.

Hopefully the CYCA program also addresses that -- after all, teachers ought to be competent in whatever they're teaching, although they are not, always -- but it also incorporates training in the skill of *teaching*, which is not necessarily related to the particular subject that is being taught.

Hasn't this difference gotten the original discussion somewhat confused?

Especially if I drag in Pauline Turner's International Diploma, a much more expensive but (I expect) more comprehensive offering in the skill of crochet:

http://www.crochet.co.uk/diploma/index.html

:think

tbird

I am a college student and as many know, most college students are in a tight budget. BUT even with the price of the membership and the course I am still considering taking it.

I understand a lot of people do not need a piece of paper stating they are a "master" in crocheting. But I see it more as a challenge of whether or not I would be able to complete the course. And I would really want to believe that people have taken it to prove to themself that they have accomplished something that not necesssarily EVERYONE has done, and that the piece of paper is just something extra.

I guess a lot of other people would say that I wouldnt need to pay for this but to me, its more motivating to have a deadline and to have to submit something at the end.

When you are crocheting, wouldnt you want someone to like what you have done?.. I mean those who receive the gifts that we make will obviously judge them as well.. but will they be unbias? OR tell you what they think you would like to hear. I guess for me to take this course and hopefully pass it would prove to MYSELF that I am capable of doing of what the CGOA asks of me and to hopefully improve on the skills that I already have.

I'm confused by Tracey's post about the CYCA being the group offering the course.

There's nothing on the CGOA description of their Masters' program that states another organization is involved:

http://www.crochet.org/masters/basic.html

And what I've read in the various threads about the CGOA program makes no reference to another org being responsible for the process of judging. Also nothing about levels of education.

The Craft Yarn Council of America offers a program in teaching:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/teach.html

which is very cool. But it is a completely different thing, right?

The CGOA program establishes a baseline of competence in the mechanics of crochet.

Hopefully the CYCA program also addresses that -- after all, teachers ought to be competent in whatever they're teaching, although they are not, always -- but it also incorporates training in the skill of *teaching*, which is not necessarily related to the particular subject that is being taught.

Hasn't this difference gotten the original discussion somewhat confused?

Especially if I drag in Pauline Turner's International Diploma, a much more expensive but (I expect) more comprehensive offering in the skill of crochet:

http://www.crochet.co.uk/diploma/index.html

:think

tbird

Ah, yes!! I forgot about that!! I deeply and humbly apologize!! It's been a little while since I've been on either site, so please forgive me!! :lookout

I can see why some folks would consider this course "unnecessary," and results in a "fluffy title". But here's the thing: what are your motivations behind it? Yes, some folks do make quite a living designing and testing patterns without the piece of paper stating that they're a "master" crocheter. Personally, I wouldn't mind taking either course, but I feel I can do more as a teacher. Yes, I will admit that having a little extra money in hand would be a plus (I'm a SAHM, and dh works for a local suburb, so $ can be a little tight around here!!), however, I love our art/craft/hobby (whatever floats your boat--me, it's an art) and I want to share it with as many people as possible. If it takes a required course to teach at the two stores closest to me, so be it. If I want to be honored with requests to test patterns for high-end designers (such as Garn Studios, etc) and it takes a test to prove I can do the work (which is what I see the certification process--providing a portfolio with evidence of one's abilities), so be it. CYCA and CGOA provide a service to many companies, sharing lists of names of people who have proven they can do the work. The companies consider the two aformentioned associations as reputable authority, and take their word that the people who are being referred to them know what they are doing. Why shouldn't the CYCA and the CGOA test those who wish to do these things? The reason the courses and testing cost money is because people's time is valuable, and the folks who are judging the work have a lot going on in their plates (don't we all?)...why shouldn't they get paid for their time and effort in putting together the materials and going over one's work? The price of a single collegiate course can't even compare with the bargain we'd get by taking this course! (the local community college charges $75/credit hour, and all you get is credit toward a degree that may or may not help you acheive goals)

What makes the knitted course different?
There are firm rules and deadlines for the knitter and the judge. In the CGOA course, the student can only hope that the judge doesn't have some sort of "personal issue" that prevents getting the piece(s) critiqued in a timely manner.

What would you be looking for in a crochet course, if you were looking for one?
Good value for my money and time. People who call themselves professionals should be, well, professional. They should do what they said they'd do when they entered into the business transaction.

What do you want from the final result?
That feeling of accomplishment for completing a challenging task. I want the challenge to come from the crochet projects, not from dealing with the personal dramas of the judges. I know this sounds tough, but if the CGOA wants their courses to be taken seriously they need to be consistent and reliable.

I personally see seeking education as a maturity of the art of crochet. To seek it means you are challenging yourself to learn about the many aspects of crochet. In quest of education is not always about making money.
I completely agree with you here. That's why I'd really like to see the CGOA (or another crochet organization) offer a really well-organized course. Then that piece of paper earned would be worth every penny spent :)

I've been following this thread and have a perspective on the topic from a non-craft view. More than likely, there will not be a true solution. I am a massage therapist, and seen the debate w/n my profession on this, and myself. We have a standardized test for becoming a therapist, like the program has a set corricullumn for becoming a "master".

Does this have a place/reasoning, probably so, more to those in the more business side of the art though. The masters know all the stitches and can perform them and combine them. They can teach the technical information on each stitch, etc.

Are there contradictions to it, YES! There are some people who don't "test" well. (As w/ my profession, many times it comes more from the heart than the mind. Are there those who KNOW the info back and forth, yes. Would I want all of them working on me, NO. ) Knowing the information back and forth doesn't mean you have a passion for it. It may mean that it is "just a job", more than likely and that's when folks buy the machines for massage OR buy the Walmart doilies for cheap. Or it could mean that the people can't afford to take the course, as well.

(Would I want some of the 1's who have it coming from their HEART working on me, YES YES YES. Because they truly care) That's when the not so perfectly crocheted item that a kid makes for you becomes a "masters design" because it's from the heart. Given w/ purity and love...for the person it's to, for the art of the craft...

Will there ever be a full agreement on which way it should be, probably not.

Ok, I will slink back into the shadows and try not to be so opinionated. As well as hoping that my wording is understandable, lol

Sandy

Archived