How can I add a hood to my poncho project

MeMe

Question

Hello all,

I have made many poncho's using this pattern http://web.archive.org/web/20010405220520/http://www.cei.net/~vchisam/groovy/7702.html

and now i would like to try to add a hood to it.

I would really love to be able to get to the point where i can make my own patterns but I still feel like an amateur when it comes to that. Can someone take a look at the pattern and help me figure out how to add a hood to it...

Thanks

6 answers to this question

I might try just working around for about 3/4 of the kneck until it's high enough, then decrease in the middle to round it off, and sew the top. (I hope that makes sense)

That would DEFINATELY not be the only way to do it, and the best thing to so in your situation would be to get your hands dirty (figuratively) and just do it. Froging isn't as bad as it sounds, and trail and error actually work pretty well when designing.

Good luck, and we hope to see your finished project soon!

I dont have any advice, because I am wondering the same thing..lol..I LOVE hoods!! I will be watching here, I guess I am not a pattern maker by any strech of the imagination...

Good Luck, that is one cool Poncho!

In Susan Huxley's book "Crocheted Sweaters," she adds a hood to a sweater by crocheting a rectangle right across the back side of the neckline (no changes for different sizes -- no matter what size sweater you're making.) Basically, she has you crochet 18 SC evenly across the back of the neckline, and then go back and forth over that in your pattern stitch until you have a rectangle lying on its long side on the neck.

Then, fold the hood in half with right sides together, and sew the top edge.

This makes a hood that's kinda pointy in the back, but I've gone to look at most of my hoodies, and they ARE kinda pointy in the back, so it seems to be a fairly standard way to make a hood. And an easy one to boot.

Hope that helps?

--Elissa

In Susan Huxley's book "Crocheted Sweaters," she adds a hood to a sweater by crocheting a rectangle right across the back side of the neckline (no changes for different sizes -- no matter what size sweater you're making.) Basically, she has you crochet 18 SC evenly across the back of the neckline, and then go back and forth over that in your pattern stitch until you have a rectangle lying on its long side on the neck.

Then, fold the hood in half with right sides together, and sew the top edge.

This makes a hood that's kinda pointy in the back, but I've gone to look at most of my hoodies, and they ARE kinda pointy in the back, so it seems to be a fairly standard way to make a hood. And an easy one to boot.

Hope that helps?

--Elissa

That's basically what I meant. (knew I wasn't making much sense)

Decreasing in the middle before sewing it up would round off the point a little bit.

:cheer I would be careful adding a straight hood to a V-neck Poncho.

You may need to make a hood which has a shaped piece at the back, to go down into the V, otherwise it will pull up the back of the Poncho when worn.

:think Also think about the weight of the hood when it is not up over your head.

:yes Personally, I would make a nice Beret style or one with a peak, to go with the Poncho.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

wow, so much feed back in so little time...i'm loving this forum already...thanx guys...i'll play around with it a bit and i'll definetly post pics when i'm done

Archived