Writing a pattern - help with turning chains!

annaht

Question

I'm confused... this seems so clear when I'm using someone else's pattern, but now that I'm writing my own I can't figure it out. Are turning chains (in this case, I'm doing mostly a dc pattern) supposed to count as the first dc? For instance, if I have 21 dc across, should I say "Ch 2 (counts as 1st dc), sk 1st dc, dc in next 20 dc" ?? Or then do I have to say something like "dc in next 19 dc, dc in ch 2 of turning ch" ??? HELP!!!

6 answers to this question

I think for sc rows, the turning ch1 wouldn't count, but for dc rows, it would. Also I believe if you didn't count the ch2 as a dc, you would have a sort of scallop on the sides of the piece. Maybe you could swatch and see which you like. :think

Usually, I write something like this in 'Notes' before the pattern instructions:

For rows/rounds of sc, always begin with ch1. Does not count as first st, sc in same st to begin.

For rows/rounds of hdc, begin with ch2. Does count as first hdc. Hdc in next specified st to continue.

For rows/rounds of dc, start with ch3. DOES count as first dc. Dc in next specified st to continue.

I've also seen (in rounds) a ch2, which does NOT count as first dc, you dc in the same st to begin. This just eliminates that little space you get with the ch3 at the beginning. The ch2 is not worked into.

Sally

Thank you both! That helped. I like the idea of a note before the pattern... I know that when I DO the pattern, I count the turning chs as a dc, but I didn't know if that was the correct way to write it out. Thanks!

If I could add a little input here, you do not need to say dc in next 19 dc's and in next turning chain 3 for the end of the row instructions. At the very first row where you chain 3 that counts as a double crochet, you would put Ch 3 (counts as first dc here on out), skip dc below beginning chain, dc in each of the next ? dc's. Turn - etc.

Usually when I am working rows I use a chain 2 which does not count as a stitch (and make that note that it does not count as a stitch), then dc in each dc across. When working in rounds, I do use a chain 3 as the first dc, dc in each stitch around (or whatever the pattern is), slip stitch into the top chain of beginning chain 3 to join.

Hope this helps a little :)

If I could add a little input here, you do not need to say dc in next 19 dc's and in next turning chain 3 for the end of the row instructions. At the very first row where you chain 3 that counts as a double crochet, you would put Ch 3 (counts as first dc here on out), skip dc below beginning chain, dc in each of the next ? dc's. Turn - etc.

Usually when I am working rows I use a chain 2 which does not count as a stitch (and make that note that it does not count as a stitch), then dc in each dc across. When working in rounds, I do use a chain 3 as the first dc, dc in each stitch around (or whatever the pattern is), slip stitch into the top chain of beginning chain 3 to join.

Hope this helps a little :)

Chelle, You should write a book or pamphlet, leaflet or something on how to write a pattern because you do it so well. :yes I know without a doubt that when I buy one of your designs it will be written well and NOT leave me going like this :think with each and every row or round. It goes without saying your designs are great but another important factor is how well your patterns are written. :hug

Coralie

Archived