Lumpy felted swatch

Adri

The first felted swatch I've made has turned out lumpy... I can feel the stitches in some areas (but not see them very much) but other areas are more even... more like smoothly felted... is this normal?? I put it in the washing machine a second time with only a slight increase in "smoothness" as a result. Could this lumpiness be caused by my having used a large hook and the swatch being a bit airy? Should I try another swatch working tighter??

Any insights or help is greatly appreciated!

Since it's more felted in some spots than others, it could be that it got smooshed in the washer. I've had that happen a few times when I have a lot of stuff jammed in a pillowcase to keep the fuzzies out of the machine. They can get bent over themselves or each other and leave a spot that isn't getting the proper beating it needs to felt. My only solution is to release them from their pillowcase bondage and set them free in the washer and let them fuzz it all up. Also, you can add an old tennis shoe or old jeans or something that will bang against it for extra agitation.

Chrome Kitty - that may be just what happened, because when I pulled the swatch out it was all balled up. I'll try without the pillowcase... but how do you clean out your fuzzy washing machine??

Sherry - I used Hdc stitch too. Maybe I can try to fuzz it up by rubbing it when it comes out of the washer?

Well, I made a new swatch with a smaller hook, and put both it and the first swatch in the washing machine without the pillowcase, with a pair of jeans. Left them in for the whole cycle.

The first swatch remained lumpy. The new swatch felted up much more evenly.

And my washing machine did not fill up with fuzzies!

Thanks for your tips! Now I can start on my purse!!

Archived