Comfortghan for 3 disabled kids - use up your fun fur and chenille!

Tiga

Holy granola! I got it yesterday (haven't had a chance to post much, getting ready for T-day and all).

Thank you so much! You did nearly half an afghan, girlfriend! And thank you so much for the booklet showing how you did the stitches; now I can make some matching squares in the ENORMOUS amounts of yarn that people have sent me.

My hypotonia support group sent me $60 for yarn, and that was enough to get me enough to get a little color theme going for each afghan, but not enough to make a whole afghan each.

Then, one member, who is NOT a crafter at all, bought yarn and sent it! It was all perfect - 8 skeins of it.

And you guys here have just knocked it out of the park - over 20 squares so far and more yarn than I know what to do with, lol!

I may not get it all into squares before the holidays, so not all of it will go into these particular comfortghans, but I have a goal of making one for every kid on the group, eventually, so the yarn will go to a good cause. Not all of the kiddos are as "involved" as Carson, Imi and Josh. Kirsten, who I also hope to get an afghan to this Christmas (her mom is having a tough time, too) is more able, but still really disabled.

We also have Heather and Charlie, both in England.

Imi and Josh are in Australia.

Carson is in Hawai'i.

Anna is in Texas.

My Ellie is in Florida, of course.

Ariel is in Maryland now, I think - her dad is in the military and they got transferred twice last year! They do a good job of keeping her close to good hospitals and therapy, though. Kudos to the Coast Guard!

In New Jersey, we have Caroline and Maddie, not related.

Up in Maine is Jack.

Over in Pennsylvania are PJ and Jordyn and Kai, although his Dad doesn't post much anymore.

Kirsten is in Delaware.

Up in Newfoundland, we have another Maddie.

So, you can see, even though we're as close as a family, we're all so far apart, I can't give the Moms real, actual hugs. A comfortghan is the best I can do.

I cannot thank you guys enough for your help.

I mailed out 6 squares of grape light & lofty, and 1 out of homespun. I had to use a really big hook to work with the grape stuff, so I hope they will be alright. The DC# is 0305 0830 0000 9535 2911.

-Nikki

I got these on Saturday, Nikki! Love 'em. The color is awesome on the grape - so cheerful!

I've decided to do a bunch of different sized squares for that modern look (okay, and b/c with all the different sized yarn, it's impossible to get exactly the same sized squares) and just edge the smaller ones until they fit in, or make the smaller ones into larger panels - that sort of thing.

I'm going to officially state that I have enough yarn though. It's taken over my bedroom. My poor cat can't sit anywhere for all the yarn, lol!

tiga,

could you let me know if the 6 squares i sent have arrived? thanks a lot and let the kitty curl up in some of that yarn!

Today I got:

6 squares - three fuzzy, golden squares and three pink-tan-grey varigated squares from Sherri :clap:cheer

3 blue chenille squares and I lost the envelope they came in, so I don't know who sent them. I think the yarn ate the envelope. :think

3 hot pink squares from Bonnie Crochets (totally love the fuzz!) :hug

And a varigated ribbon yarn square from Joann Dillon. Many thanks - I HATE working with ribbon yarn; I always try to keep it straight :blush

Thanks to all of you!

I bet the maillady is wondering what is arriving in all these plain brown envelopes :lol

Okay, thanks, Sherri! I've gotten so many squares, I've rather lost track of who sent what. I tried to keep them all with their envelopes until I said my "thank yous", but between the cat and the four year old, well, things got a tad mixed up.

I'll take pictures after Turkey Day and post them; I'm just super busy this week - running to the airport, last minute food shopping, cleaning; you know - all the fun of the holidays, lol!

I finally got your little package sent out. I was having trouble with my gauge so I was only able to send 2 squares, but I did send some yarn also. Hope it helps!

Tiga,

I have some squares that I was hoping to put into an afghan but I read your post and I would like to donate these squares if you would like them. If you would just PM me with your address!

They are not textured but they are granny squares in Bright Colors and maybe you could use them as fillers or something! Let me know!

:manyheart:hug

Update and Pictures:

I'm plugging away, but I just don't think I'm going to get done by Christmas. Bah. I had to make two BICOs, and I had started doing the Mystery Crochetalong, but now I'm just copying the directions for it down and will catch up in a few days.

Here are pictures of all the squares you guys sent, along with all the yarn that was sent, too. I'm not sure who belongs to which square now, because my little "helper" threw out all the envelopes, with help from Grammie. They meant well (thought they were cleaning up a "mess" for me), sigh.

20061130_0135-1.jpg

These came from Mary, just yesterday! Thanks so much! I love these so much, I want them for myself, lol! What colors did you use?

20061130_0136-1.jpg

These are all the squares that have been sent, and the ones I've done myself.

20061130_0137-1.jpg

This is yarn from Crochetville and some that I bought with the money my friends sent me. Think it's enough?

20061117_IMG_0074.jpg

20061111_IMG_0059.jpg

Close ups of some of the yarn; first picture is donated yarn and the second picture is what I was able to buy with the money from my friends.

Big hugs and thank yous to Ellie13 for the GIANT box of yarn I picked up yesterday - it's all amazing! I'll use some of the plain worsted weight stuff as a base for all the awesome fun fur I've been sent.

And big hugs and thanks to Mrs. Crochetpants for the fantastic squares she sent - it's almost enough to do one lapghan! I love the colors, especially the orange and the purple.

I might just get at least one done for Christmas now! I'm totally remotivated!!!

I used Bernat soft boucle, on sale last year at Hobby Lobby. Sorry, I don't know what the colors were. Except the blue package says "carnival shades." The brown is a lot easier to work with than the blue. Altogether I would never work with this yarn again. Now you know I'm your friend, Tiga. :hug

Who is the delightful young lady in your photo? Is she your daughter? How pretty she is!

• 2 weeks later...
Big hugs and thank yous to Ellie13 for the GIANT box of yarn I picked up yesterday - it's all amazing! I'll use some of the plain worsted weight stuff as a base for all the awesome fun fur I've been sent.

And big hugs and thanks to Mrs. Crochetpants for the fantastic squares she sent - it's almost enough to do one lapghan! I love the colors, especially the orange and the purple.

I might just get at least one done for Christmas now! I'm totally remotivated!!!

I'm soo glad you could use them! Glad I could help!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm still churning away with squares - I'll upload some more pictures later this week when I get them more sorted out.

I got some of those Ziploc Big Bags (great for yarn storage, btw), for all the squares and yarn, so it's been easier to get to everything (I had been storing it all in laundry baskets, and was having to dump stuff out onto my bed every time I wanted to find a certain color of yarn.

I'm hoping to get even more organized when school starts back tomorrow for my daughter.

I have to say, this project has really become a true labor of love. It's taking so much longer than I thought it would, mostly b/c I'm such a perfectionist, lol! I want these blankets to be so nice for the kiddos.

AND because you all sent me so much yarn!!! I want to make at least one square for each afghan out of each skein that was sent, and boy, do I have a lot of skeins of yarn to go through.

Now that Christmas is over, and I'm officially DONE with making gifts, I should be able to finish these in time for the Christmas in Spring gift swap my friends and I have decided to have. We wanted to do a Christmas gift swap, but there was just too much going on for too many of us. Such is life, right?

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that this project is still ongoing, albeit slow going, and that no one's yarn or squares are sitting around going to waste or going to other things.

Well, some of the scraps later on might go to some other charity afghans, but I figured that's a good use for the yarn and no one should mind that. Anyway, off to work on a square before I fall asleep!

Archived