Japanese word (character?) for amigurumi

Hi,

I have just gotten an order for two amigurumi animals. One to resemble the orderers dog, and a another that has the Japanese character (is that what its called?) for 'amigurumi' on it. - I tried Babelfish, but that doesn't translate the word for me. Is there a Japanese character for it? or something remotely similar? Like a Japanese character for uh, 'knitted stuffed toy.' Ugh, Babelfish gave me a huge set of characters for that.

If there isn't a single character for amigurumi, or similar, what would you suggest to use instead? The person this is for is meant to be a huge anime fan.

tia

Amigurumi is a Japanese word (and means knitted stuffed toy) & consists of 5 characters (or letters if you will) in Japanese - regardless of which syllabary you use (Japanese has 2 syllabaries - the Katakana & hiragana, or a combination of hiragana + kanji).

I looked in the dictionary and there appears to be no single character for the whole term - sorry:no

I guess 5 characters would be too long.

Maybe you can ask them what is their favorite anime character - that should be in give you a 1 or 2 character name for most...

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

iggie :)

I guess 5 characters would be too long.

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure if five characters would be too long. I guess that may depend on how I stitch it on. I may not even be able to stitch characters. I have never tried. :think I think if I tried do stitch them lengthways (head to tail) and small enough, it could work. I am not opposed to making a little sweater and working the characters on it either - might be easier in the long run.

If you could show me how to get the characters you found, or email them to me I would be grateful. (My computer has the Japanese language pack so it can read them)

Thanks again

Hello again - I can share the file with you - I've made it into a PDF file (unless you prefer a Word file, i.e.) so I can email it to you as an attached file - PM me so I can email it to you.

iggie

Archived