Can you felt Patons SWS?

LanetteG

I just made a purse from Paton's SWS that's 70% wool and 30% soy. Is it possible to felt that? I think it would look better felted, but does the soy make it unfeltable?

From what I understand, it Patons SWS feltable. The soy won't felt but the wool will. Lion Brand Landscapes is another mix that is feltable. The wool felts; the acrylic does not. It gives it an interesting texture. Felt a swatch of the SWS and see what you think.

I thought I had seen a swatch of it felted at Michaels, but was going back and forth between 2 kinds of yarn and couldn't remember which had the swatch. I'll probably just throw caution to the wind and do it. What the heck!:yarn It's only yarn!

Yes... SWS felts like crazy. Be careful.... I did a purse and left it in hot water in the washer and it totally felted in only 5 mins. The SWS also seems to shrink more than other wool yarns I have used. It makes a lovely, very sturdy fabric... great for bags.

Joan

I felted it. I had to wash it 3 times at 6 minutes 2x's and 9 the last time, guess my water doesn't get too hot. It hadn't shrunk as much as I wanted the first 2x's. But looks great now, I just need to get the lining done and the handle put on and I'll get a picture.

Thanks!

I just felted something in this and in the hot water it felted very FAST. I only had to wash it once. I usually have to run things through 3ish times to get them to felt.

I read somewhere that, as long as the majority of the fiber is wool, it can be felted. If it's more than 50%, I believe. Can't wait to see your pics. I've been dying to try the SWS.

• 3 weeks later...

Your purse is beautiful! I agree with everyone else. You shouldn't have any trouble felting. It just won't be as stiff as 100% wool would be. In some cases, that's a good thing. (smiling). Love your purse.

• 1 month later...

Lanette,

I'm glad you asked the question about felting with SWS. :) I recently discovered it at my local Michael's and fell in love with it. So far I have made a scarf out of the natural earth and currently I'm working on another scarf for my sister-in-law out of the natural pink. I would love to try making a purse and felting it. It it such a beautiful yarn! :yarn

Yes... SWS felts like crazy. Be careful.... I did a purse and left it in hot water in the washer and it totally felted in only 5 mins. The SWS also seems to shrink more than other wool yarns I have used. It makes a lovely, very sturdy fabric... great for bags.

Joan

I concur with with Joan here. It felts up like "crazy" and shrinks a lot but it is beautiful.

Joan what size hook did you use? I used my N and really think I needed to do bigger.

I also did HD crochet and think it could have handled DC and still felted nicely. What do you think?

I was just doing swatch work so did fine for me.

Archived