Pillow shams! that's what we need

I have the beginnings of an aghan going that I expect will become a twin-size bedspread and while I was thinking about it I suddenly thought that what we really need to develop would be patterns for pillow shams.

I love pillow shams and I feel they really finish the made bed.

so what do you all think? are pillow shams just the thing you have needed to go with your giant granny bedspreads?

Or, are pillow shams the last thing you want to be making?

I have been wondering what style would be best but I keep thinking that a ruffle-y type like the ones they used on the Caron circle jacket would look so cool :manyheart

I'm one that doesn't like crochet on crochet. I think too much of a thing can be bad. I don't dress my daughter head to toe in crochet. If she's wearing a crocheted skirt, I won't put a crocheted top on her. I try not to layer crochet tops/sweaters either.

The same applies to beds. One afghan would be fine. Pillows with it if the afghan is folded at the foot or slightly draped would also be okay. To cover the bed in an afghan/spread and then top with crocheted pillows would be too much.

I have made heart and circle bed pillows with ruffles before. Looks kind of cute on a store bought comfortor/spread.

That's just my style and what works for me. Your tastes may be different. :)

If not pillow shams I'm thinking possibly some smaller throw pillows could be nice. I have been thinking of making some thread crochet pillows for friends using a coordinated backing that goes with teh comforter they already have and I think it will look nice.

I agree that pillow shams, crocheted or otherwise, are a very personal choice.

I love crochet. I love Pillow shams. It just seems natural for me to put them together.

I am just considering/debating matching or complementary textures.. life is never boring... :think

I enjoy pillow shams (keeps the pillows clean, less to wash, more time for crochet!!), but the simpler the better...No ruffles, but maybe a twisted chain fringe? Then again, my tastes are no frills, with just a hint of fuss. A simple or no border, but somtimes fringe or maybe tassels at the corners...That's it.

Ooooooooo Darski what a great idea !!! I gave my two grandaughters a hope chest for their first birthdays along with a "birthday" afghan. Every year I give them something to put in their chest. I plan on eventually doing a bedspread for them and shams would be a really nice "extra touch".

I did start a thread in the Crochet A Longs forum. I am trying to figure out what to do next for one of these.

We could use a lot of brilliant people over there - that would pretty much cover all the people here. at the Ville.. :hook

Umm. . . what's a pillow sham? Is it the same as a pillowcase, i.e. a cover for the pillows on your bed? (I'm confused here because of the US use of "pillow" to also mean what we call a cushion, :lol )

If it does go on the bed pillow, is it just a decorative cover that you'd take off when you were going to bed, or do you actually sleep on it? I can't quite picture a crocheted or knitted cover versus a linen/cotton cover for this. . . plus the feathers from my pillow would probably work through.

Can anyone enlighten a puzzled foreigner?

Smiles,

Hey there Nightowl, after looking at the crochet me website - a pillow sham is indeed a pillow case or cushion cover (That is what we call them in Australia) I thought it may have been one of those fancy cylindrical pillows

Umm. . . what's a pillow sham? Is it the same as a pillowcase, i.e. a cover for the pillows on your bed? (I'm confused here because of the US use of "pillow" to also mean what we call a cushion, :lol )

If it does go on the bed pillow, is it just a decorative cover that you'd take off when you were going to bed, or do you actually sleep on it? I can't quite picture a crocheted or knitted cover versus a linen/cotton cover for this. . . plus the feathers from my pillow would probably work through.

The pillow sham is indeed a pillow cover, not to be confused with the linen pillow case that is slept on. The pillow sham is put over/on/around the bed pillows to decorate them a bit when the bed is made. They would be removed when you wish to sleep with the pillow.

Thank you Wendy - good explanation

they can either match or contrast with your regular bedspread. I believe it is the removable nature that makes them a pillow sham even if used on a throw pillow. (as opposed to a regular bed pillow)

If you go to any online store, like Target, and look at bedding or search for shams, you will see that shams are usually more decorative. Pillow cases are the basic pieces that come with sheet sets or sold seperately right next to sheets. Shams come with or are sold next to comforters.

Here's a Target link for you:

http://www.target.com/gp/search.html/602-6717700-0626255?field-keywords=pillow+shams&url=index%3Dtarget

I never remove them except for washing. I can't imagine what a pain that would be to do every night and put them back every morning. I have more than enough to do already. lol

I either move the sham covered pillow off the bed, or put it behind the pillowcase covered pillow and sleep on that one. Looking it up on Wikipedi, that's what they say to do, too. :lol

Ahh, thank you, Wendy, Darski and Empress! Now I get it. "Throw pillow" -- that was the term I couldn't remember for our "cushion".

Reminds me of when I was married and we went to stay with my in-laws. I think my former MIL must have had a "bed sham". . . a pretty coverlet she put on the bed for display (goodness knows to whom! :lol) in the day but which was always mysteriously to be found neatly folded on a chair when we went to bed!

I'm not even going to ask about the comforter <ducks and hides under the duvet>.

Smiles,

Archived