Crocheted Blanket Doll Pattern

truelove730

Question

Hello all!

I was refered to this message board by Rachel from Crochet Pattern Central. I am looking for a pattern. When I was little I used to have a doll that was crocheted. The body of the doll was in the middle of the blanket. The blanket was only 15"x15" maybe. The body was stuffed and the doll had a plastic face, hands and feet. Does this sound familiar to anyone or do you know where I could get this pattern?

Thank you for your help.

Heather Truelove

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baby Doll and Blanket was a pattern put out by Jessie Abularach it is in her Crocheted Favorites & Originals of Jessie Abularach Volume Two. This book came out in 1980 and is out of print. You may find it on Ebay or a use book dealer. The baby doll is crochet to the blanket and had crochet legs with pom poms on them the plastic face has open mouth for the bottle that her hand hold and her other hand has her finger pointed outward. Her body is crochet as her arms and legs and she has a crochet bonnet on her. Jessie passed away several years ago and her 8 volumes of books are collectors items. She had dozens of patterns in each book.

Are you referring to a "Topsy Turvy" Doll? I had one of those as a kid but it was fabric. I hope you are successful in finding a crocheted version you like. I wasn't able to post the link I found but if you surf for " free topsy turvy crocheted dolls", I know you will find something. : )

Just curious - the lady that made the one my daughters loved years ago (hence why I'm looking for the pattern for my granddaughters) - her maiden name was Truelove - Retha Truelove - from Midland/Odessa area - any chance you are related? What a wonderful person (and crocheter) she was. Can you let me know where you got the pattern?

I saw the posting wanting the pattern for the baby in blanket doll , the posting was from erint57 , I have this pattern, in fact I have two of them(different versions) and would be happy to share them with her if she still needs them, I can be contacted at ladydiana51 at aol. com,,,,,,,,Diana:cheer

erint57,

No, sorry. No relation. I'm located in Central Kansas. Been here about 40 years.

The pattern is there on my site. A few people have asked about the babydoll face & hands, but they can be found on the internet. Just do a search for "baby thumbsucker face hands" and you should find them.

Very cool to have this pattern available! Thanks Mary! I too had one when I was little, called a church baby and my mom made it for me. NO clue what ever happened to it though.

I found it. I think. I sure hope so because I just order the head and hands for .59 a set. Now I have to clean out the craft closet to find the pattern. Hope this is what Heather and others were looking for. Here is the link:

http://joycescraftsupplies.com/joycescraftsupplies/?tx=06X55136179460518&st=Completed&amt=22.50&cc=USD&cm=&item_number=

Here is a link to one here on the 'ville that I made:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92091

Two more of the same pattern that I made:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89310

Here is a different one that I made with the link to the pattern. However, the link no longer works and when I post it in here it shows up with stars in it.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83687

I just found this on Ebay a pattern that your talking about I will put the link in here for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Baby-Doll-in-Blanket-Hand-Puppet-Plush-BLUE-10_W0QQitemZ380101890254QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

Another pattern but no picture of it.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mamie727/baby_in_blanket.htm

Elle, I remember making one of these with the crocheted heads - I would LOVE to have the pattern again! If you have it, please, please could I have it? I asked a few years ago but nobody could help me. I'm happy to have run across this thread. Sandra

Hello all!

I was refered to this message board by Rachel from Crochet Pattern Central. I am looking for a pattern. When I was little I used to have a doll that was crocheted. The body of the doll was in the middle of the blanket. The blanket was only 15"x15" maybe. The body was stuffed and the doll had a plastic face, hands and feet. Does this sound familiar to anyone or do you know where I could get this pattern?

Thank you for your help.

Heather Truelove

OMG, Yes!! I remember these! I know exactly what you're talking about, but I've never seen a pattern for one!

They're actually puppets, you put your fingers in the arms and in the head, and you hold it like you're holding a baby in a blanket and make the arms and the head move. It should be pretty easy to just fake one of those, shouldn't it? In fact, I also had one where the head was crocheted, and if you could make one like that, you wouldn't even have to worry about finding the plastic faces. I will keep my eyes open, and I'll ask my aunt (she's the last living member of that generation of our family who crochets) because I know she USED to have all kinds of patterns, but I don't know that she still does. IF she has the pattern, I am sure she will mail it to me, and if she does, it's yours. I am not making any promises, though, because like I said, I've had one of those before, and I THINK it came from her, but I've never seen the pattern.

Oh jeez, I just noticed the date on the original post of this thread, and it's from FOUR YEARS AGO. If anyone wants me to still ask about this pattern, I will. If not, in the words of Emily Litella from Saturday Night Live - "Never mind." LOL

I just recently looked for a similar doll face, for a baby in a blanket for my neighbor. She has one of the dolls no pattern, but makes them based on the doll. (I can't do that yet, I need a pattern). She asked me to find the face because she hadn't made one or seen the faces since sometime in the 1980's. The face that I found didn't have an open mouth and her patten doesn't have plastic arms either. But I bought faces on clearance from Annie's Attic for @ $2.49 for 5 plus s & h. I also found the faces at Hobby lobby for $.77 each.

I too would like to make these dolls for the next generation of Grandchildren. I made these dolls 30 years ago and they were very popular. I recently came across the pattern and one of the dolls but have not been able to locate the face and hands to make new ones. I can't seem to locate a web site for Zims. Help !

The best place to get the doll faces and hands is at Zims. I ordered mine online and they were only 89 cents each with postage being $1.65. I don't have a pattern but have made them freehand for years. I just make 4 tubes for arms and legs, sew hands on arms, crochet a half circle for head with ruffled edging, sew on face, make a rectangle for the body front, crochet any favorite blanket pattern only smaller, sew the rectangle to middle of blanket leaving opening to stuff, sew arms and legs and head on. Oh I usually use a ball of scrap yarn to stuff head with instead of styrofoam ball. I have used both and like the yarn better.

Where is Zims or what is it? I've never heard of it/them before.

TIA!

I had a doll like this as a child....only I don't remember it having legs. It's body was a rectangle, and the blanket was just crocheted right around this rectangle...kind of like a really, really big edging on a really, really small pillow! :) She did have little plastic hands and a little plastic face, and she had a crocheted bonnet that was sewn onto the face. I wish I had a picture. I don't even know if I still have her anymore...but I think it's neat that we all remember dolls like this made by special people in our lives!

Archived