Teaching advice

Last week I saw a sign at my local Michaels - they are looking for crochet instuctors. I've never taught, and I don't think that I'm an expert, but I do think that I could teach the basics and some of the more advanced stitches.

I crochet every day. I love it!

This weekend I was at Michaels and asked the Asst Store manager about the openings for teachers. He all but jumped up and down - they need people. I told him I probably could only do about 2 classes a week, and he said that would be fine. I'll need to fill out an application and then do some sort of questionaire that I'm guessing assesses my abilities to teach. If Michael's accepts it, then I'm in.

Hubby thinks that it would be taking on too much. He's concerned because I have a long list of things that I want to do, and try to get involved in a lot of charity projects, and he is afraid that this will take me away from doing it for fun, and add more responsibility and stress to my life. I spend 2.5 hours commuting a day, and he thinks that I don't need more commitments after that.

I do tend to get overstressed, but it might be fun teaching and while the pay is probably minimal, the experience and employee discount would be nice. I just don't want to do it for a month and then say I can't handle it.

If anyone has any opinions, I'd love to hear them. I know some of you teach. Do any of you teach at Michaels? Can you tell me about what the expectations and requirements might be in terms of skill and time?

Thanks!

There's some threads about teaching at Michaels in the Teaching Crochet forum :) I teach both beginning knitting and crochet at Michaels and love it.. it's alot of fun and the discount isn't bad either LOL

Archived