Why is it that...?

Why is it that when you follow a pattern exactly - a doily pattern - that you still end up with the wrong count?

I have a doily I am making into an afghan and I have done exactly what they said every round and yet my count is off.

Now it is possible that their count is off or something but for the life of me, I cannot guess how i am missing stitches.

Any brilliant minds that can suggest where the/my count goes off - just in general terms of course as I can't find the pattern link right now.

Oh Darski, I too have had that problem sooo many times, MOST of the time it ends up a pattern missprint, or something like that, of course it is NEVER our faults...:hook I wish I had some words of advice, but, I can give you determination..sending it your way!:hug

I too am going to be using a doily, well a tablecloth pinaple square pattern for an afghan after christmas, because I love the pattern so much, lets hope I can do it.

Sometimes it is the pattern and sometimes it is the fingers on the other end of the hook.

When we mess up a count, it if frequently in the way we are counting--failing to count a turning chain as a stitch plus a ch space, for instance.

You can always email the pattern provider and ask for help or post links here so we can help you figure it out.

Llinn

I am absolutely sure it is not operator error...well,

I am really sure it is not operator error...

it's probably not operator error...

that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol

Definitely a misprint. It is amazing how many patterns have errors. :D I'm working on an afghan right now that has the same problem. I just don't understand.:think

UPDATE: I found my, I mean the pattern error. :yay

I have ran across the same problem and I often count and recount and retrace my stitches and rows but I'm finding that more often than not, the pattern is wrong. I have started to just make sure the end of the row is correct and if need be, I adjust the middle of the row to make it work.

When I've done something wrong :eek , it usually is when I've had to put the project done for something and I don't start back up at the right point. I have started using sticky flags to track where I'm at in the pattern (to prevent this from happening again). :tup

Definitely a misprint. It is amazing how many patterns have errors. :D I'm working on an afghan right now that has the same problem. I just don't understand.:think

UPDATE: I found my, I mean the pattern error. :yay

Exactly so! :hook:rofl

I found that sometimes it helps not to sl st into first st of round. This way I do not have to worry about ch1 on next round.

So when you finish the round, just start the next one with the first stitch. Makes it look more uniform and sometimes helps with the misprints in the patterns.

Of course the patterns are printed wrong.:yes After all the person proof reading and printing are more than likely not crochetiers.:no

If I frog it more than once, it has to be a pattern error....

Until, I find my mistake!

Of course, there are some patterns that are incorrect in the written instructions, they may be typos?!?! On doilies, since most of the pattern is a repeat, I check the last round and the next round to see if it is me or the pattern instructions. Sometimes, it is not me!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

This cracked me up. It is always the patterns fault and if I can fudge it so it looks good I don't worry about it.

Publishers always seem to think they know what the designer meant. That is who I am blaiming. A crocheter would never make those mistakes!

Why is it that when you follow a pattern exactly - a doily pattern - that you still end up with the wrong count?

I have a doily I am making into an afghan and I have done exactly what they said every round and yet my count is off.

Now it is possible that their count is off or something but for the life of me, I cannot guess how i am missing stitches.

Any brilliant minds that can suggest where the/my count goes off - just in general terms of course as I can't find the pattern link right now.

Is the design coming out ok? :think Is it flat and big enough? :think I say who needs the exact count if it's coming out alright. When it looks like the picture, then the pattern must be wrong. Contact the publisher if the design is not working.:eek

Ellie 13

I found that sometimes it helps not to sl st into first st of round. This way I do not have to worry about ch1 on next round.

So when you finish the round, just start the next one with the first stitch. Makes it look more uniform and sometimes helps with the misprints in the patterns.

Of course the patterns are printed wrong.:yes After all the person proof reading and printing are more than likely not crochetiers.:no

If you don't sl st in 1st st, USE A STITCH MARKER!!! Itried this once and forgot where I started.:no

Ellie 13

I look at it this way... The pattern is not written in stone... It is really just a guide... More often than not we change the pattern anyway... if for nothing more than size adjustments...

We all have the basics down... we know how to count and measure... If we want to add a few rows then we can do the math... A pattern is really just a collection of stitches grouped together in a certain order... It is up to us to make it work.

Archived