Hubby Just Bought me online a Yarn Ball Winder for my birthday

Hi to all:

Wow I feel like I'm on cloud 9:c9 :c9 :c9 :c9 :c9 :c9 :c9

my hubby just ordered for me thru Jo Ann's online with 40% coupon offer a Yarn Ball Winder..

I can hardly wait to receive it....:yay :yay :yay :yay :spin Ohhh boy and I'm gonna have some big time fun winding up some balls of yarns...

I will let you all know how I like it when i get it... I just hope it arrives by thursday but I can only hope on that...

I know one lady here who said she loves hers and another lady from another group said she is on her second one and can't live with it..

Are there any others here that got one??? Just curious.

I have 2 or 3 and really couldn't function without them. I can wind a pull ball by hand, but the ball winder is way faster and they have lovely flat bottoms that stack perfectly. I used electric ones in my yarn store when I had it. It made the shelves much easier to keep straight.

Llinn

I love mine .. the only "problem" is that I sometimes need a swift for the long hanks of yarn but I can usually convince my brother to be the swift. ;)

Otherwise I think it's just great. I redo all my yarn with the winder, even the cheapy acrylics get redone because I can NEVER find the center pull on those puppies.

Hmm .. your hubby got a single brother? *wink*wink*

I don't have one yet ... But I keep borrowing my moms when she comes down and she does it every two weeks but I always have yarn that need winding mostly because I have a wonderful FGM that thinks yarn keeps me healthy and happy .:c9:manyheart:yayMy mom buys me yarn to she says it keeps me from getting pouty and landing in bed...With a crochet hook in hand who has time to sleep?

Anyhow .. .the yarn winders are the best thing they could have made:hook

Yes ladies I don't have my winder here yet but after seeing a wind up cake that crocus sent me i tell you i fell in love. I really do believe it will help with stacking rather than those balls rolling onto the floor when crocheting..

Now I see why there are so many of us ladies here in this group that are asking for a yarn winder on their wish lists.. Don't give up on your wishes ladies you just might have to hint to your loved ones what you gals want and when to be on lookout for best time to purchase.

Taligator sorry but no single brother in laws in this family i guess cause they are all great hubbies they are all taken.. Sorry..

I just LOVE my ball winder! I got it to wind this big hanks of hand-dyed yarn and I never thought about re-winding yarn from a skein but that's a great idea! It works so quickly I think I'll do that next time I can't find the center of a skein!

You have a wonderful hubby! Ain't love grand!:manyheart

Hi Ladies:

I got my yarn ball winder today just i time for my birthday. So now i need help..

I have a question? Do i use any one of the yarn ends to pull thru the bobbin that has the slit where its to hold the yarn and then it says to hold with left hand for tension. Why don't i be able to see a pull thread after i wind the yarn. What am I doing wrong...?????

HELP... I'm a bit dumb when it comes to following instructions..

Then i began to wind the yarn and it started to look like a cone instead...

You can help me please explain or PM me..

Thanks

Wonderful - you got your winder! To make sure you can find the pull end after winding, remove the thread from the "V" cuts and pull it up a bit before pulling off the yarn.

As far as the cone shape - are you winding in the right direction? Which winder did you get? This one stumps me.

I connect the center pull strand from the skein to the winder.

Hi Ladies:

I got my yarn ball winder today just i time for my birthday. So now i need help..

I have a question? Do i use any one of the yarn ends to pull thru the bobbin that has the slit where its to hold the yarn and then it says to hold with left hand for tension. Why don't i be able to see a pull thread after i wind the yarn. What am I doing wrong...?????

HELP... I'm a bit dumb when it comes to following instructions..

Then i began to wind the yarn and it started to look like a cone instead...

You can help me please explain or PM me..

Thanks

Did you thread the yarn thru the silver metal guide thingie? My winder looks like this when you set it up to wind. (I resized the picture because it was too big, but the picture is still showing up huge in the post, even tho it's little in my Photobucket page...)

PB092767.jpg

Now the fun begins. I have had a good time with mine. I no longer have wonky looking skeins of yarn laying around. They also fit better together.

Mine looks like ErinLindsey's. It is just great. You should love it.:hook

KAY QUESTION

What do you do with crochet thread and sewing thread after you wind it?

Never heard of that

I use metallic thread with any color crochet thread and make doilies or coasters. Just gives it some sparkle.

As I look at your photo I see i have the same one as you and well I can see that I have placed my winder same as you in that same position and wellI see now the way you are holding it with your left hand and i know your right hand will turn the handle..

I can see also that your yarn is not all the ways to the bottom of the winder so I will try it that ways to see..

Cross your fingers and wish me luck...

Thanks for posting the photo..

Did you thread the yarn thru the silver metal guide thingie? My winder looks like this when you set it up to wind. (I resized the picture because it was too big, but the picture is still showing up huge in the post, even tho it's little in my Photobucket page...)

PB092767.jpg

Ladies , I am so happy that many more ladies are considering this gadget I have not master it yet but I know I will have hours of fun when i do..

I'll figure it out soon...

Say a prayer for me ..

As I look at your photo I see i have the same one as you and well I can see that I have placed my winder same as you in that same position and wellI see now the way you are holding it with your left hand and i know your right hand will turn the handle..

I can see also that your yarn is not all the ways to the bottom of the winder so I will try it that ways to see..

Cross your fingers and wish me luck...

Thanks for posting the photo..

Once you start winding, the yarn will naturally settle into a cake. I noticed that if I use too much tension with my left hand, or not enough, the yarn cake will look wonky. It takes a little while to figure out just how much tension you need, but you pretty much figure it out by the 2nd or 3rd yarn cake.

I did notice if the yarn was a bit worn out (I frogged some projects) that sometimes makes the cakes loosen up after they've been wound. I guess worn out yarn relaxes a bit once it's been wound into a yarn cake and will sometimes make the yarn cake start to lose it's structural integrity.

I love my yarn winder. I think it's one of the coolest accessories I have for my crochet obsession.

I'm tempted to get my sister one for her next birthday/christmas (her b-day is a week before christmas) I'm just not sure she's knitting enough to need a winder (of course, I'd have to get her a swift too, cause she uses the fancier yarns that come in hanks)

HI Erin Lindsey:

I finally figured it out I was putting the yarn on the V slit first and then thru the stitch guide the silver thingie..

Well I see that its bring the yarn end thru the metal thingie and then on the V split thing and then wind...

I already winded up 2 balls into cakes..

Cooooooooool Things people come up with... Great gift hubby got me... Yeah.

I think next year I will invest in one more as a gift for my friend that knits...

Thanks for all your help and sweetie the photo you took to show me helped me figure it out best..Thanks again and have a great weekend.

I couldnt figure out how to put the yarn in the stitch guide the first time I tried the winder. I bought mine at a local yarn store, and they hadnt shown me how to put the yarn thru the stitch guide, they'd just shown me how pretty the yarn cakes were when you're done winding up the yarn.

The box didnt have decent directions in it either.

It wasnt too hard to figure out tho...just had to fiddle with it a bit. Hopefully I dont wear it out too soon.

Archived