Crochet Hooks Allowed in Courthouses?

When I had jury duty I had no problem with getting my hooks in. They did question my sisscors once. But when I explained why I had them they let me take them in. I got a lot of crocheting done as I got on a fairly long case. It was a blessing to have my crochet work, as there was a lot of time you just sat a waited.

Unfortunately I waited too late to call, and the website has no such info. I was extremely busy at work last week and didn't remember, and I have to show up tomorrow morning. I'll try to get there early and have time to return the goods to my car if they won't let me in with it. Parking is atrocious around there, so I'll have to hike to/from the car, so at least I'll get some exercise!

Last time I thought I had jury duty,,,I took a crochet hook and the knifty knitter thingie to the courthouse and asked the security people at the door.

No go for the knifty knitter(to sharp lookin') but he ok'd the hook.

Then didn't have to go,,,,I was half bumbed,,got over it real quick,though:lol

This is in Jackson, Mississippi, which is a medium-sized city. It also has more than its share of violent crime and criminals, and they've had incidents at the downtown courthouse, which is where I'll be, so they might not be very sympathetic to my crafting needs. I'll just load the craft bag with the Boye Balene II plastic set, which I enjoy working with anyway, and some plastic Easy Tunisian hooks. Also I'll put some crosswords and sudoku puzzles in the car in case the hooks aren't allowed and I have to go with Plan B. Thanks for the info!

I wasn't allowed to bring a plastic hook into our courthouse. And it was like an N or P. One guard made me check it at the door and his partner even said to him that he thought my pen was more dangerous.

You don't mention what city you're in, but here in Los Angeles you can bring in a crochet hook (put it next to a ball point pen... which one looks more dangerous!) but NO scissors at all whatsoever period. not gonna happen. I CAN'T even get scissors through the metal detectors (I have to mail them to myself - stupid, huh!) but... a great substitute for scissors is a pair of nail clippers, or of course those neet little round cutter things... let me see if I can find a picture:

Link to pic of the thread cutter

s.gif There we go. This one is for yarn but they also make one for thread.. really handy thing. I got mine at Michael's and then got one for Ah Leah since she does a bit of flying and, you know, scissors and planes don't mix...

Also remember to take any little knife off your key chain - even a toy or utility type thing is not allowed in around here, and also no mace or pepper spray is allowed...

I've made many a crochet item in courthouses... Good Luck:hook

I had jury duty last week and knitting needles were listed on the "not allowed" list so I brought a plastic hook and a small project. Couldn't do any crocheting though. When I pulled it out to work on in the courtroom, the security officer made me put it away. We were just sitting in the courtroom, not in the jury box. I wasn't able to crochet in the jury waiting area either as we were so crammed in there - shoulder to shoulder and my knees were touching the chair in front of me and I'm not a very big person. I was there from 7:20am to 4:55pm with almost no breaks. Luckily I had brought a couple of snacks with me as the lines for the vending machines were 25 deep. Of course I only had to be there the one day as I wasn't picked to be on a jury. When the defendant's lawyer asked me if I thought people could make a mistake and do something completely out of character, I said yes, but that I thought people still needed to be responsible for their actions. Well, they were done with me after that comment! Anyway, I'd suggest you bring a snack and something to drink with you.

After reading this thread, it makes me happy I have NEVER been called to jury duty, of course I am so opinionated that I would get thrown off anyways..but hey,. its not like our hooks are weapons of mass distruction or nuclear warheads... I would imagine a person would have alot of down time in jury duty, and it would drive me C-R-A-Z-Y if I couldn't Crochet during that time.....good luck to you:hook

Oh JoAnn, you have jinxed yourself now. Last time I said I hadn't been called for Jury Duty in awhile, I received a summons a few days later. Now, I would look forward to it - just to get out of work - :lol

It is really crazy that we even have to think about these things. We are permitted to take writting implements :pencil anywhere, but they are more dangerous than a crochet hook :hook, and as dangerous as knitting needles :knitor hair sticks. People have watched too many movies/read to many books where the weapon of opportunity is a knitting needle. Heck, if crafting tools are banned, you have to ban high heels; who remembers Jennifer Jason Lee in "Single White Female"? My eye!!!

Can you take a laptop :compute with you on a plane (:yes )? Into a court room (maybe not)? If need be you can wack someone in the head with it! Naomi Campbell seems to be good at harming her employees with a cellphone to the noggin. What about a necktie, belt, scarf, shoelace; you can use all of these as garrotes. I am a former United States Marine, I was trained to kill someone with my bare hands, and though it has been a long time since I have practice, I still know the techniques. I also know how to use items as benign as a newspaper, and drinking straw to inflict mortal injuries (never have, honest!!! ;) ) Most folks that crochet/knit, would sooner die than bugger up any of their precious crafting tools harming someone else with them anyway. I tell you, someone is more apt to be harmed by me if I am sequestered (or have a long flight or layover) and am NOT permitted to crochet, than if I have a hook and some yarn!!! Hmmm... yarn :yarn could be dangerous too. Yikes!!!

I had to be in court a couple of weeks ago... and I know court is always 'hurry-up-and-wait'. Never occured to me that there would be a problem to bring a crochet project for the 'wait' part. It was in my bag and nothing was said, even when I pulled it out and began working on it (in the hallway,,, with a security guard nearby).

Joan

Well, the hooks were allowed in. I was allowed to crochet while we waited for the judge to come in, but after he and the circuit clerk started talking to us, we had to put stuff away. This was hard because we couldn't do anything while the people with excuses went up there one by one, which took an hour and a half or so. Finally, we were divided into panels. Mine had to return after lunch. Thankfully I could crochet for the hour I waited for them to tell us to call the number tonight to see if we had to report tomorrow.

Thanks for the input. I took suggestions and packed snacks, yarn, plastic hooks, and puzzles. I agree that hooks are way less dangerous than a pen!

So it's not so bad in Hinds Co., Mississippi.

I have Jury duty this thursday and called ahead to ask if I could bring my crocheting with me. They said no. NO hooks, knitting needles or scissors allowed. Boo Hoo, thankfully I have several magazines and a puzzle book I can bring.

Wendyb532

I took my hook and yarn into family court with me. They did insist on xraying my yarn, but I got it in. Just be sure not to hide a file in the skein. Bake it into a cake instead! :lol

Archived