Comfortghan needed for 15yo girl..../Update post #77

minwifeof4boys

4 years ago my friends daughter battled a type of bone cancer. She was 11 at the time... for a year she went through chemo/ radiation and had bone taken out an a metal place put in. While one leg is a bit shorter then the other she has her leg so she was excited to be looking towards her 5th year of cancer free. Last week she felt a lump near the metal plate in her leg and after a rush to the doctor, here is the email I recieved from her mom : Well, the news is not good. There is a small tumor in almost the same

place as the original one. Of course, it's not in the bone since

there is a metal implant there but it is in the tissue. Dr. Parrish

said that this is only the 2nd time in 15 years that he has seen it

come back in the original spot so it is unusual. He had a CT scan of

the lungs done before we left yesterday (that is the most common spot

for a secondary tumor) but she did have one done in September and it

was clear.

He talked to her oncologist at Geisinger and we have talked to him as

well. He scheduled a CT scan, an MRI, and a bone scan for Friday and

they are trying to get a PET scan scheduled as well but they have to

get insurance approval and the earliest appointment is Tuesday anyway.

I'm hoping that by Tuesday they will have some idea of a treatment

plan already.

So that is where we are so far. We are stunned, to say the least but

at least this time we are starting with a working knowledge of the

hospital and procedures so I feel a little more capable. Shawnee is

upset and angry but is handling it very well. "

I know this poor girl faces an uphill battle that could mean losing her leg. I would like to do a really fun comfortghan in bright 12 inch squares, any yarns, but would like a little note pinned to each square with at least a first anme and a state/country so she will know many folks are lifting her up. I'll probably do the finishing in one of the red heart bright varigatedeither the turquoise/ pink or bananna berry or something and keep it very upbeat and fun.... Thanks in advance for your help...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have some extra time and will try to get you at least 2 or 3 put together. Maybe could i send her a little something extra? a small stuffed amigurumi animal if you dont mind? have several made up and can pop one or 2 in with the squares. I think girls of all ages love little softies...

please pm with your address

I am new and have never done one of these before, but I would like to help! Can I make any square I like? Is Caron SS Brites okay to use? I don't know what "pm" means (private message?) but I will need your address to send them to you. Sorry for all the questions, but I mean well :2blush

Welcome, and thanks for wanting to help with the comfortghan for Shawnee. Yes, PM means private message( and I'll send one as soon as I finish this post)...any style and type of yarn you want..the only thing is the 12 inch thingy.... I appreciate you jumping in like this!

...I recieved an update on Shawnee... they will do a PET scan on Monday to confirm no secondary cancer in her lungs/ abdomen.. surgery will be before Thanksgiving ( although they don't know the extent ) with chemo right after. She went yesterday to visit the onocology floor where she was a few years ago and picked out a " room" and she picked out a couple of things to decorate her IV pole. She is so brave. I know the comfortghan will really emn alot to her.

This will be so great.....She'll be able to take it to the hospital with her. I just really can't imagine being so young and having to face this....Her PET scan is Monday and I'll post an update when it comes in...

I completed one square in purple and pink. I love crocheting with two strands of yarn but I don't know if its too thick, so I am making another square in purple. When you receive them, please tell me if the one with the two strands is too thick. I can take the advice. Thanks :hug

I have one done too. I made 4, 5" squares and stitched them together, then went around it in granny square fashion, so it has a heart on one corner and a flower on the other. It is 12 inches. It's cute, my husband usually goes, yeah ok when I show him something, but this time he sat up and said let me see, that's really pretty. Hope it helps to comfort her. Will ship it out tomorrow for you.

Archived