black and white for baby?

ok. this is kind of a tell, and kind of a question....

i just found out my best friend tiffany is expecting her 3rd child. I want to make something, and i was thinking a black and white blanket, done in squares with different patterns, or a star or circle ripple with black and white.... since babies can't see the pastels neway, and the black and white would be stimulating for the new arrival...

or should i do the cutesy blanket, with black and white toys...which i do have patterns for...

i have 3 kids, and wish i had thought of the blanket thing for one of my own, but i don't know if i'm the only mother who would appreciate something black and white for baby......

please weigh in

I think I would have liked something white with black accents. You mentioned a round ripple: I would love that with many white rounds and a few single back rounds in it.

I don't know if I'm much help, because I live in Holland, and the 'rules' may be very different in your country. In Holland I have never seen a crocheted babyblanket being used (but that doesn't stop me from making them :D), but I read here that it is very common to give in the US.

Black and white toys will be beautiful :yes

Or maybe you could combine the black and white with a nice soft or bright color?

Developmentally speaking black and white is very stimulating for baby as far as brain development is concerned. Red is also considered a "good" color for newborns. I'd never thought of that prior to your post, call me a lemming, I walk right off the cliff with the pastel lovers...lol.

I think it's an excellent idea actually, the blanket or the toys. My suggestion would be to ask your friend her preferences. New moms can be, well, quirky...lol, stinkin' hormones...

Sure, why not :) I would like a black and white baby gift blanket...if your not sure then maybe you could mix up the black and white with primary colors like red, green, blue, yellow...kinda have bold color thing going on, and toys to match the blanket sounds perfect :yes

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I don't know if I would actually do something like it, I'm more traditional, but it could be something very unique in a good way. If you decide to go through with the black and white theme, I would love to see how it turns out, just might convince me to make one, LOL!!

Yes, baby afghans are used a lot in the US, my granddaughter never had to worry about getting cold and of course my soon to be new grandson never will be cold either. I have made each their own baby afghans, round ripple afghans and hooded afghans. My granddaughter is 18 months old and she loves to run through the house with the hooded afghan on her head, LOL.

Happy Crocheting

Pam

I never understood the fascination with pastels being for babies. As stated, developmentally, red, black and white are what the baby will "see"...I am making my unborn Grandbaby a Happy face blankie (Her mommy *my daughter* loves Happy faces) so Loveyah will have a black and yellow blanket.

Veronica

I think a white blanket with red and black would be beautiful. I am not sure that large patches of either the red or black would be as cheerful as if you kept them to a smaller size, but bigger that an "accent". Just so long as they don't dominate the piece. Make sense?

And red & black & whote toys would be wonderful!!

thanks for all the feedback :cheer i am so glad im not the only one that thinks its a good idea.

i was talking to my sister today and got to thinking something in granny squares would be good, and do the squares with different designs in them.... then later it could be used to teach shapes, some letters, or something like that.

then i got to thinking i could get 2" plastic rings, and making sqaures with the patterns, into like a soft book for baby. OF course the thought is going to be easier than the execution, but i'll show everyone how it turns out if i can figure out how to make it reality. i wanted to use solid rings, and somehow crochet around them , so there arent any closures for little fingers to get pinched in.

what is it about babies that get the mind working in all these great directions that'll keep your fingers busy for hours???

and i cant remember who posted that great baby outfit.... but i think that black was stunning!!!

thanks again everyone, ill be sure to show everyone what i come up with..... good thing about the black and white.... i dont have to wait to fin out if the new bundle is a boy or a girl, lol.

Personally...nah...I wouldn't care for it . I think that a baby blanket should be colorful. I am working on one for my neice and it is in a basket weave patterm in confetti. Finished one for my grand daughter in mint green with white sparkle for the trim. If I could figure out how to show it on this site I will. Still learning my way around. That's my opinion though.:ty

I say DO IT! It would be really nice to do the white and black squares, and throw in the red. Maybe do squares that have different textures..I have a special needs child, and I painted his room Yellow, with dark Blue curtains and his dressers are Red, carpet is dark blue, and all the shelves on the walls are red. I wish I would have had a baby blanket in black, white and red....with the textures, that would have been great. I think it's a great idea.

my friend who is about to have her baby any day now asked me for non traditional colours so I asked my mom and at the suggestion of using black my mom went mad. she said "your must not knit/ crochet anything black for an unborn baby!". something to do with mourning colours and superstition. I did purples instead. If it was my baby then I would but I wouldnt tell my Mom lol.

As with all superstitions they only work if you believe them.

I think the pastel idea for babies came about because it was considered peacefull quiet gentle colours. I would go for red and yellow or purples and yellow real shouting colours that baby can appreaciate.

I had my best mate having a baby and she wanted mint and lemon. I like unusual though I suppose I like the contrast rather than blends of clolours. Go for it I say it will look lovely can`t wait to see it xx

:cheer Apparently Black & White patterns are very good for a new babies brain development but I dont think the baby would get to look at the blanket a lot.

You could make some small black & white striped toys or a mobile to hang over the cot.

They dont even have to look like real things, just shapes and stripes.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I made a black and white star afghan and the person who has it says the baby girl just loves it. It's big enough for a twin bed. She loves to lay on it and stare at the color changes. I did equal amounts of alternating rows of black and white and it was very hypnotic.

here's a pic...

th_IM000213.jpg

My daughter's first big crochet project was a bold, black & white baby afghan for her best friend's baby. She figured it was more her friend's style than something traditionally "baby". When she asked my opinion (not a pastel person myself), I told her to go ahead. The blanket was the hit of the baby shower.

:)Alosha

Archived