I'm going on a yarn odyssey

Tomorrow. As some of you know, I'm not working these days and so I have an awful lot of time to sit around crocheting and, well, posting on this message forum! I'm unhappy with my local Michael's (you know, the teenagers ;)), my local Joann's (dirty, messy, poor selection, etc) and the Tall Mouse is too expensive for normal use, so I'm going to scope out the various LYS's around my area!

Mapquest has this great new feature where you can enter in up to 10 addresses and it will map them all for you. Isn't that neat? So I went to Google Maps and found the names of 8 stores that I want to visit, then Mapquested them. My odyssey begins tomorrow because a couple of these stores aren't open Thursdays. Besides, I have laundry to do today. :P

If anyone has suggestions for other nearby places, I'd appreciate them.

California Yarn Sales

9452 Hamilton Avenue, Huntington Beach

Suzoo's Wool Works

711 W 17th St, Costa Mesa

Purl

1599 Superior Ave, Costa Mesa

Denwar Crafts

236 E 16th St, Costa Mesa

The Sheared Sheep

2675 Irvine Ave, Costa Mesa

The Yarn Lady

23471 Avenida de la Carlota, Laguna Hills

The Red Bee

502 E 1st St, Tustin

Ursula's Yarn

2441 N. Tustin Ave, Santa Ana

I'm surprised that there are SO MANY stores in Costa Mesa... that gives me hope!!!

Well, these are all LYS's, and for all I know they're hideously overpriced with terrible selections... I'm hoping not, though! As far as big-box craft stores go, we're pretty limited around here. I think I'm going to start ordering all of my major-brand yarn online and only buy the fluffy LYS-style stuff in person. Better deals that way, IMO.

Well, these are all LYS's, and for all I know they're hideously overpriced with terrible selections... I'm hoping not, though! As far as big-box craft stores go, we're pretty limited around here. I think I'm going to start ordering all of my major-brand yarn online and only buy the fluffy LYS-style stuff in person. Better deals that way, IMO.

Oh - - but much less chance of the all important "impulse purchase" :(

Guess I'm lucky here in Colorado because my Hobby Lobby and Joanns are close to home, clean and well stocked. Michaels is off my normal flight plan, but accessible - and if I'm gonna go there - I'm coming home with something!

I am more jealous the closest Hobby Lobby is more than two hours away

JoAnn's is so small it barely carries yarn

Michaels...isn't much better

Hancock's forgot to put a decent yarn department in their new store

amd not a LYS in site...you would think in northern Wisconsin that they would know we neede yarn to snuggle with.

I do have Herrschners 40 minutes away but that is only in good weather.

have a great time on your yarn odyssey

A yarn odyssey, now that's my idea of a good time! Eight stores in one day! That's great! That'll be a lot of fun! I expect a full report when you're done!:D

I don't know if there are eight stores close enough to hit in one day in Eastern Mass, if you skip the ACM, Joanne's and Michael's. I think I'll look into that.

Twinnish, are you listening?

Wow! that sounds like fun. We have a michael's and Joanne's here. There are a 2-3 gourmet yarn shops but they're in people's houses and it just makes me nervous to be the only one in there making idle chatter with the owner alternately thinking "this is way overpriced" vs "I feel guilty leaving without buying anything"

Okay I went to The Yarn Lady today, only. DH is going to be out of town all week next week so I decided to give myself something to do... otherwise I probably won't leave the house for 5 days and that's kind of depressing!

Anyway, The Yarn Lady is AWESOME!!! It's huge, very well-stocked, and decently priced. I had posted a link about their December Bag Sale in the "Sales" forum on the 'ville, so check it out. I guess they put big bags of discontinued yarn and odd dye lots on sale for 50% off, just for 5 hours on December 2. I can't WAIT!!!

It was a really neat store, though. They have little tables set up all over where you can work on your own projects, they have classes every day, and as long as you buy your yarn there, they'll give you stitch help for free! I think I may go back next week to take one of their knitting classes, since I don't know how to do that yet. Just for fun, it will never be my first love. :)

A yarn odyssey, now that's my idea of a good time! Eight stores in one day! That's great! That'll be a lot of fun! I expect a full report when you're done!:D

I don't know if there are eight stores close enough to hit in one day in Eastern Mass, if you skip the ACM, Joanne's and Michael's. I think I'll look into that.

Twinnish, are you listening?

Oh YEAH!!!!! Ready whenever you are!

All those places are my dh's old stomping grounds, especially Tustin! :) I :manyheart So. Cal. and wish we could live there. DH's mom lives in Costa Mesa and we used to live there too. I wasn't into yarn when I lived there, but I did manage to pick up some Lopi Wool last year when I visited. It looks like I really missed out on a good thing!

I used to go to a huge store called Piecemakers Country Store on Adams (Harbor and Adams). I think it's mostly a quilting store but they they have so much more than just quilting supplies! They even had some really nice yarns and chocolate! If you are a Christmas buff it's a wonderful place to visit!

Have fun on your odyssey! I'll have to plan one next time we go visit MIL!

Archived