Anyone have a newborn?

I am making a newborn hat, and I absolutely HATE the fact that most hat patterns are TOO SHORT to cover the ears.

I was wondering if anyone had a newborn or ssmall baby (14" circumference head) and could measure from the front where the bottom of the ears touch the face, up over the head (sorta diagonally back, the way a hat would sit) and then back down to the front where the ear connects again.

Our winters are cold here, and the ears DEFINITELY need to be covered, so I don't want this hat TOO SHORT!

Thanks in advance!

Well, I don't have a newborn, but I do crochet lots of baby hats (for charity, and now for my first grandchild, who doesn't live near me, otherwise I'd measure his sweet little head for you), but I do have a suggestion: If the pattern has a brim, make the brim bigger, so that, if the hat isn't covering the ears, the brim can be pushed down.

My baby is due in January; I can get back to you then (though I'm sure you're hoping for something sooner than that...)

If you find out the perfect measurements before then, let me know!

There is a certain challenge in measuring for newborns. they come in a whole lotta styles. some have large, wide heads and some have long, narrow heads. A hat planned for my first son would have swamped my second. :D

There is a site that gives general sizes - It might be Priscilla's - I'll go check

it's from Bev's

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/burial-gown-tips.html

scroll down a bit for sizes by weight

I have a trick when making newborn hats. I hold it against my hand and if it goes from the top of my middle finger to the end of my palm, then it is long enough to be rolled up and will cover the sweet little ears. I measured this distance, and it was about 6 and a half inches. I measure the hat from the center of the top until the bottom edge.

I just thought I would share the trick.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Archived