Light Up Crochet Hook

Calesmommy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was at my LYS a couple weeks ago, the knitters were loving the light-up knitting needles for working with dark colored yarns. I thought that was neat, so the store owner said that she could get the crochet hook in if I wanted one. She said she did not stock them because they cost waaayyy more than the knitting needles -- $40!

I said I would have to think about that a while.

Anyway, you might talk to your LYS and see if they can order you one.

That sounds like a steep price for a hook. Hopefully, some manufacturer will get on board like Susan Bates and they will be cheaper.

I hope you find one. Let us know how well they work.

:manyheart

When I saw it on Ebay it was like $30 I wasen't concerned about the price my BF said he would get it for me, I just thought it would be cool to have to work in darker places.

I don't have a LYS around me (Not even sure what that is)

I like how the entire shaft of the crochet hook appears to be "lit up" unlike the knitting needles which only look like the tips light up.

I've seen the knitting ones in person at a demo at our local Michael's store here. It's only the tips that light.

For riding as a passenger in a car at night, (with my hubby driving), I think a lighted hook would be great. I was wondering if it would be the whole hook. Thank you for posting the link to the manufacture's site.

Has anyone bought one yet? I think getting a size H or K would be nice.

• 4 weeks later...

$40 for a hook? just b/c it lights up? pffffffft!!!

knit lite needles are like $3!!!

and i thought brittany hooks at $9 a hook was a bit much!

i've crocheted in the dark before

over the summer we had a blackout and we were without power for most of the night. my solution? i found a small flashlight, put it on a pile of books on the coffee table and aimed the beam at my work. it worked pretty well! and kept me from losing my mind from boredom in the blackout

• 5 weeks later...

I was given a bit of money for Christmas and instructed to spend it frivolously, so I've ordered a lightup crochet hook :D If there's anyone in London who wants to give it a go let me know.

There are apparently two different brands of lit knitting needles. The Knit Lite needles only light at the tip. The NeedleLite ones light up the whole thing (and consequently are much more expensive). NeedleLite is also the company that sells the crochet hooks, and they have an ebay store where their items are always listed.

I'll wait for the price to come down.

I crochet in bed, and the lights need to be out for my DH.

My solution- I took my book light to Radio Shack (it was a RS booklingt) and bought a power cord and 4 spare lightbulbs. I clip it to the neckline of my PJ's and aim the light directly at my work. Endless hours of crochet time :cheer

• 1 month later...

On the dreamweaveryarns site, it was $40.00 for a set of five hooks, I believe. So that's what, $8.00 a hook? That's expensive, but not so bad for a specialty item like that.

I love using booklights in the car. I actually had to use one for a few days in a row in December when we had our big power outage (I'm in Washington state). I wasn't about to sacrifice my nighttime work - it's my prime time to get things done! ^-^

On the dreamweaveryarns site, it was $40.00 for a set of five hooks, I believe. So that's what, $8.00 a hook? That's expensive, but not so bad for a specialty item like that.

Nope, read it very carefully. It's $40 per hook, $175 for the set. If it were $40 for the set, most of us would have probably broke down and bought them already.

The new Patternworks catalog has these hooks. Page 2. $7.95 each.

see website: www.patternworks.com

under the heading what's new - notions.

I ordered 3 today (they are on back order until tomorrow). They were my valentine present from DH. He was planning on picking up my present today - but we never left the house - snowed in with over 2 foot of snow - and it's still snowing.

I'm anxious to try these - hopefully they work, if not - what's a few more hooks for the collection!

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I also just got this mag today and am going to order some, what sizes did you order? Sure wish they had them in the steel hooks.....that is where I need more light.....Great buy, cant wait to get them

Archived