Which came first?

Which did you learn first  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you learn first

• Crochet
    • Knitting
    • I still can't knit
    • I still can't crochet

Close to half the people who responded as *learned to crochet first* can't knit.

I know this is a crochet forum but I just expected that most people did both. ain't life interesting?...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned how to knit when I was a kid in the 60's. I didn't do any fiber arts until the mid 90's when I taught myself to crochet. Now I'm trying to re-learn how to knit!

My G'ma & aunts taught me how to knit continental style. Now that I'm re-learning, I've found out that I do my purl stitches differently than most. It's much faster I think. When I was at a conference last weekend, there was a knitter there and she did her purl stitches the same way - her G'ma taught her too.

I knitted first as a little kid, then joined 4-H and learned to crochet a granny square pillow, but could never read a crochet pattern. Just started that nearly 2 years ago, and because of crochet's endless creative possibilities, I have to say it's my fav, although i have a huge collection of knitting needles and patterns as well.

I learned to crochet (from a book) about a year after I learned to knit (also from a book). There were just no instructions on how to adjust patterns (of either type) for a gal with a larger bust size (I was a C at age 12). So, I stuck with crocheting afghans which were more useful to me at the time. I retaught myself to knit 20 + years later so that I could make norwegian sweaters. I still do that: crochet afghans and knit sweaters.

Stephanie

Archived