Which came first?

Which did you learn first  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you learn first

• Crochet
    • Knitting
    • I still can't knit
    • I still can't crochet

Given the information that the crocheters outnumber the knitters by quite a margin, I thought it might be interesting to see which came first: Knitting or Crocheting.

I don't know that learning one earlier would make a difference but it might tell us something

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned to crochet and knit about the same time, but hung onto crochet and set knitting aside for years. I've recently picked it back up and love it :) They are both so diverse with so many options.. there are things crochet works better for and things that knitting works better for :)

I do think learning to crochet first helped as I learned how to manipulate 1 hook and the yarn.. going to knitting with 2 needles was fairly easy :)

I learned to knit first, but never got past the most basic cast on, knit stitch, cast off.

Then I learned how to crochet approx seven years ago and have stuck with it. Haven't had time to learn how to knit better.

My Mom found it easier to teach me knitting instead of Crocheting (which she could do both).

She always said I was to (don't mean any offense) Polish to learn crocheting. lol:lol

Since picking up the Crochet hook, I use my knitting needles for back scratchers. lol:rofl

I taught myself to crochet first (from a book) when I was about 18, then I though well geeze, I am so darn good at this I can teach myslef to knit too. I did! But, . . . I do love crochetting better. I feel more creative when I crochet - I don't know what that means, but I crochet and knit, I just crochet more. Maybe because I learned it first?

I learned to crochet first because that was what was taught in 7th grade home ec. If I'd had a choice between the two, I might've still chosen crochet because two sticks and yarn are much more intimidating to my 13 year old mind than a hook and yarn.

I taught myself to knit first because being left handed I couldn't figure out how to crochet from the book I had available. It wasn't too clear. That and I tried to teach myself with a size 13 hook and size 50 thread. Had to wait for an Aunt to teach me the basics of Crochet.

I am actually a pretty good knitter, though I haven't knitted in years. Crochet is my true love and always will be. :hook Now a size 13 hook and size 50 thread doesn't daunt me in the least. In fact I love the finer threads and hooks best.

Crochet came first at the age of 5. I taught myself to knit a few years ago. I'm not that great at it. I can do simple things but I would never attempt a true garment like a sweater. I keep telling myself, as is sit with hook in hand :hook , that I will someday learn to knit better :knit .

My grandmother taough me how to crochet when I was young, around 7 or 8, I think. I dropped it for a very long time. I picked it up again almost 10 years ago when I was on semi-bed rest when I was pregnant with my daughter and bored.

I was instantly hooked :hook

I decided to try knitting just over 8 years ago, made a wash cloth, then dropped it. I then picked up knitting again about 5 or 6 years ago when I was working at a bead store and saw some ladies coming it with their bead knitted purses in progress and I wanted to do that. Well, I never got past basic knitting and I never did learn how to knit with beads LOL

Crochet came first. When I was little, my dad used to get us balloons at restaurants. He'd make a slip knot and put the balloon around my wrist. Something about those slip knots really intrigued my childhood mind. I started making little crochet chains by accident when my dad taught me how to make my own slip knots.

So for a few years when I was little I'd sit and make crochet chains with my fingers on any string or yarn I happened to come across.

Then when I was about 6 or so, my sister learned to knit. She tried to teach me how. I ended up with a big knot on the end of one of the knitting needles. It just didnt take.

Then, she joined the Girl Scouts, and for some badge she was trying to get, she had to learn to crochet. So, then my sister tried to teach me to crochet. (just the slip stitch) and that took.

So, for years the only crochet stitch I could do was the slip stitch. I made little bags to keep my lunch money in, and made crocheted bracelets.

I was probably around 12 when I took my crochet hook to my grandma's house once. She saw me doing the slip stitch on a little coin purse I was making, and asked me if I wanted to learn other stitches. Little did she know what she was doing when she taught me the rest of the stitches. She was getting me addicted to crochet for life.

My grandmother is probably the person most responsible for me getting addicted to crocheting.

My grandmother taught me to do the half double, and double crochet that day. My grandma was taught by her mom, who was from Luxembourg, so my grandmother called the half double "double crochet", and she called double crochet "treble (or triple) crochet". That little fact is what screwed me up when I started to learn how to read patterns...my stuff didnt look like the pictures did until I realized the Europeans use different terms than Americans use for some stitches.

I was the only one of her grandkids that she personally taught to crochet. I'm also the one who inherited her entire yarn stash after she died. (she gave me all of her patterns several years before the alzheimers really kicked in)

My sister forgot how to crochet until recently. She took up knitting again, (she hadnt knitted since she was probably 10yrs old) and then re-learned how to crochet. I'm still waiting for her to send me something she's made. (I've given her dozens of crocheted presents...I want to see what she can do now.)

People told me that crochet was easier to learn, but for me I had the hardest time with it. I, however, was able to take up knitting in a week's time. It wasn't until I'd been knitting a year that I was finally able to pick up crochet and learn it.

My paternal grandmother taught me to knit :knit when I was 5. I remember sitting next to her while her "stories" were on, as she taught me to knit. My mom and both grandmothers could knit and crochet. I have work of both types from all three of them as well as from two of my greatgrandmothers. I think I only learn knitting b/c that is what all three ladies preferred, and I couldn't read a pattern so I did what they told me. I did not learn to read a knitting pattern until I was 30 (that was three years ago), b/c whenever I wanted to knit something I would just ask my mom what to do. Well when she and my dad divorced (I was 11 or 12) I quit knitting all but very basic items, b/c mom wasn't there to tell me the pattern, and b/c I think I was trying to get back at her so I just quit knitting, until I was an adult. Then one day I just had the urge to knit something more than a scarf or bib, etc. so I called mom and ask her how to some booties. From then on I would call her and ask for directions for various items. She told me to learn to read a pattern. I told her I did not understand the pattern directions (I am a visual/hands on learner I need to SEE it being done to get the hang of it). Finally, one Thanksgiving vacation, when we went to visit my mom (she lives in IN I live in AR), I told her I was not leaving until she taught me to read the darn pattern. It really was not very difficult, but she did show me all the examples. So I have been knitting away ever since, until... March, when I needed stars :sstar for an afghan I made for a veteran, friend of mine. The pattern called for crocheted stars, but as ever attempt I had made at learning to crochet had failed miserably :sigh, I figured I could wing some knitted ones-No way, the small size just wasn't feasible unless I used thread, and even then the result was not good :no ; so I looked at the LionBrand website and started following the instructions. Then I went to some of the video clip sites and have been "hooked" ever since; so much so that I really cannot even force myself to pick up my needles to finish the 4 knitting UFO's that are on them. I am simply loving crochet, and want to make one of everything!:yes

BTW: It took me about 2 hours to figure out the stars and from then I have pretty much been able to figure out most crochet instructions with little help, so for me crocheting was easier to learn than was knitting. I don't know if that is because I was an adult when I learned to crochet, or if it was out of the shear necessity I felt in having those stars crochet, that I was just so determined to learn.

I learned how to crochet when I was 8, almost 9, and I've been doing it on and off ever since. I tried several times as a teenager to learn to knit, and was never successful. Tried a few times as an adult, and it still didn't work. Last year I finally decided (after another botched attempt just a few months before) that there was absolutely no reason why I couldn't learn to knit since children all around the world can do it. So I kept at it until I got it.

This time around it also helped that I had online video clips to watch, and that I learned the continental way. Being left handed, that really seemed to make it easier, holding the yarn in my left hand.

Now I've successfully knit a prayer shawl, a drop collar sleeveless sweater, and several pairs of socks. So far, I love sock knitting the best of any knitting that I've tried. So lots of people will be getting knit socks for Christmas this year!

Now I really enjoy both, but I probably enjoy crochet more, just because I've done it for so much longer. My mom, her mom, and her SIL all crochet(ed) too, so there's a big family connection there. I have 2 sisters and neither of them have ever learned to do either, and they don't really have an interest, either. One sister just isn't really crafty, and the other one is a lampwork bead artist and jewelry designer. So she and I trade off: I crochet, knit, and bead-weave things for her with small beads, and she makes me large beads and jewelry. Works for us!

I taught myself to knit in an effort to keep my hands occupied and stop my boredom induced snacking.:knit..shortly after learning however, my then toddler DD, lept into my lap for snuggles while I was knitting and came entirely too close to impaling herself on the needles :eek...so, with that prime example of how terrible that combo could be, I taught myself to crochet, as there was only one metal impliment and it was a dull-tipped hook as opposed to sharper needle:hook....5 years later and I'm just now getting back into knitting...I never did get very good at it, but I'm at least back to learning...

Jessie

It is so wonderful to see these stories of people learning how to knit and crochet.

I learned to crochet at 6. I was taught by my grandmother and aunt. I started with an Irish crochet rose - because that is what they were making and I wanted IN. It did not get finished and did not go well but I was 'hooked'.

At 10 a friend showed me how to knit. I went to the library and got books to learn more (yo, k2tog) but it just never owned my heart the way crochet did. To this day, I can't see an irish crochet doily without a tug at my heartstrings.

I can knit and knit fairly well (I suppose) but my heart belongs to crochet.

I started a Ygroup for knitting and it was all going along tickety boo until I happened to pick up a crochet hook for something last spring. It is so hard to get back to knitting when there is a crochet hook and yarn nearby.

About 5 years ago I taught myself to knit, the basics. Then I decided that I wanted to learn to crochet and took a few classes. I also took a knitting class later. I really do like the freedom of crochet more than knitting. I like how mistakes are easier to fix and hide. Knitting really frustrates me and I wind up putting the project down, ripping it apart and using the yarn to crochet something.:devil

I learned how to knit first and used to make slippers, hats, and sweaters. then my Grandmother taught me how to crochet. I learned to make doillies first. I used to make all different colors of doillies and also crocheted edges on pillowcases. Then a few years ago my best friend taught me to make a ripple afghan and I have been hooked ever since. Crochet has become my favorite.:D

I learned to knit first but I am not very good at knitting :) I always wanted to learn to crochet but had no one to teach me until a friends' mum taught me last year.

-- Michelle

I forgot to mention that I started to learn to knit in August.

Then I came down with Optic Neuritis in my left eye and ended up not doing any crocheting or knitting for about a month and a half. Still having serious problems with my eye, but I had to start crocheting again otherwise I'd just go completely nuts.

So now, I'm back to crocheting (finished a ripple afghan last week) and I've started back to knitting (or trying to knit) I can do the knit stitch, but actually casting on, or doing the purl stitch is taking some time.

If you're wondering how I knit without casting on, I've been cheating with that...I've been doing the Tunisian crochet cast on and using that to knit from...makes an interesting bottom edge.

Does anyone rember the numbers for crochet over knit from that article that started it all?

Our numbers have stayed around the 61% mark almost from the beginning.

I finally figured out how to read the percentages - it is percentage of total voters not votes opposing each other -- likely because you could choose mupltiple options

Archived