Really pretty afghan pattern

wow that is beautiful! *saved the link* now I just have to get up the nerve to do it.

White afghans give me the shivers...I have two toddlers so anything all white can not enter my home. LOL

I saved it to Word...and then had to reformat the appearance of the text because I couldnt stand all the underlines and the way the entire pattern was italicized. Plus I bolded each Row, so that I could easily follow the pattern... At least she didnt use 7 point Monotype Corsiva for the font...

It's my inner Desktop Publisher that motivates me to do that. Am I the only one who reformats the text of patterns in Word to make it more easily read??

I am so with you in all of that. I just redid the whole thing to the way I like it to look too.

It took two tries because I got all the frames on the first try and they were not behaving.

Very elegant indeed. I'm currently working on a crocheted plaid afghan and have so many ends to weave in that it's giving me the shivers... The thought of working on a one-color afghan is certainly appealing right about now. Plus I'm on an afghan kick right now.

And yes, Erin. I have an inner desktop publisher, too. I'm a little weird about formatting and making things look nice. I do that at work, too, and it's come to bite me in the backside because everyone wants me to re-do their documents. Eesh. :P

Y'all have triggered one of my favorite rants.

I, too, reformat patterns as well as recipes in Word all the time.

Retired after a career in publishing, where I constantly fought with amateur document designers who wanted to put stuff in all caps, italics, eccentric typefaces, lots of unbroken text passages, and reverse type (white type on dark background), I have no tolerance for such things. I had trouble convincing colleagues that if they wanted to market something, they shouldn't make the message difficult to read. Embellishment is not appreciated by the serious reader.

I detest long passages in italics in books. Why can't they just switch to a sans serif -- or nothing at all -- to indicate another voice or a back story? There are recipes in a magazine I subscribe to that I cannot use because they're in tiny, pale letters on a dark ground. Now that I'm not working and have time to waste, I have complained to the Martha Stewart website for obstructing readability. Likewise, it's too much work to read forum messages that "shout" online in all caps or don't use caps at the beginnings of sentences. And on and on . . . .

Feeling like Andy Rooney today.

I am so with you on this too. I like something I can read. Colour is only good in a post if it can be read without going to my 4X reading glasses. As you say, I just don't try anymore - if you really wanted me to read it; you would make it read-able.

However, I guess I should fess up that I get tired of fixing all my typos (they're in the millions by now) and I don't always fix them.

And yes, Erin. I have an inner desktop publisher, too. I'm a little weird about formatting and making things look nice. I do that at work, too, and it's come to bite me in the backside because everyone wants me to re-do their documents. Eesh. :P

My dad always comes to me when he needs a professional looking letter written to someone.

With crochet patterns, basically the only reason my inner desktop publisher comes out is because sometimes when I download patters from people's blogs or from webpages, the website it comes from has done weird things to the formatting. (Yahoo Groups is horrible for that) Hard returns where they shouldnt have them, and all sorts of things that make it look wacky when you copy/paste to Word.

Plus, I like it when my pattern binders all have the patterns in the same font (I prefer Verdana font for some reason).

I took Desktop Publishing in college a few years ago, and havent had a chance to use it in a professional work setting yet, so I guess I'm just practicing until I can find a job where I can show it off.

Just for fun, I have one binder that I'm putting all of Dot Matthew's patterns in...I'm having fun putting it in book form with a table of contents, page numbers and chapters. She just has so many patterns it's taking me forever to get it organized. (I keep hoping she'll start posting new ones again soon.)

That is a really nice afghan pattern and I too have saved it. At this rate, I'm going to end up making enough afghans to cover my whole house (and I live on the third floor of a very large brick house that's over 100 :))

I imagine I might try this one soon though, as the clean simplicity of it would appeal to my husband.

Y'all have triggered one of my favorite rants.

I, too, reformat patterns as well as recipes in Word all the time.

Retired after a career in publishing, where I constantly fought with amateur document designers who wanted to put stuff in all caps, italics, eccentric typefaces, lots of unbroken text passages, and reverse type (white type on dark background), I have no tolerance for such things. I had trouble convincing colleagues that if they wanted to market something, they shouldn't make the message difficult to read. Embellishment is not appreciated by the serious reader.

I detest long passages in italics in books. Why can't they just switch to a sans serif -- or nothing at all -- to indicate another voice or a back story? There are recipes in a magazine I subscribe to that I cannot use because they're in tiny, pale letters on a dark ground. Now that I'm not working and have time to waste, I have complained to the Martha Stewart website for obstructing readability. Likewise, it's too much work to read forum messages that "shout" online in all caps or don't use caps at the beginnings of sentences. And on and on . . . .

Feeling like Andy Rooney today.

I've seen some professionally printed patterns (like Leisure Arts) where they've used a gray color instead of black for the font color. (and they've used a "fancy" font, instead of the easy to read Times New Roman or Verdana) A few years ago it didnt bother me, but since about August (and probably a little earlier than that) I just cant stand reading patterns typed in that gray color. I developed something called Optic Neuritis in my left eye (basically an inflammation of my optic nerve) and my vision is a bit wonky and sometimes it's difficult to read some things. I've passed up a few professionally printed patterns because of that.

about the only reason I reformat free patterns that I get from people's websites on the internet, is because I like everything in my binders to use the same font, and I think it's easier to read a pattern if I bold print "Row 1" and so on.

I haven't noticed your "millions of typos." Anyway, since I was an editor, I just automatically edit such stuff in my head as I read. At least I can see regular text! And I can even dig Brit spelling, since my DH used to write for Reuters.

It wasnt a million of typos... I reformatted because the entire pattern was italicized, and because I want my printed out pattern stash to all have the same look. (I dont sound too obsessive compulsive do I?) I think it looks fine on the website it came from, and I dont think I saw any actual typos in this one.

When I copy/pasted it into Word, the entire pattern was also in columns and stuff, and the pictures were running off the page... Some websites put formatting into text that just doesnt translate well into Word...

It's been awhile, but I have come across a few patterns on the internet that were full of typos, but that's cool because it keeps me in practice for proofreading documents. I like to reformat stuff just to keep my Desktop Publishing skills in practice. Until I can find a job that will pay me to do stuff like that, it's nice to have the practice.

<< It wasnt a million of typos>>

JFTR. actually, I hadn't even read the pattern. I was referring to the typos Darski said she makes.

Your DTP skills should stand you in good stead. I may have mentioned this before, but one of the best markets for those skills is DC, where kazillions of documents are published every day, by the Fed and by companies that feed it. By contrast, for example, jobs like that are scarce in Atlanta and probably wouldn't pay as much. I've actually seen writing jobs listed here on Craigslist.com that offer no pay. I'm not sure what the reward is supposed to be!

^^ I actually accepted one of those non-paying jobs, to write for a women's magazine, and she accepted my writing samples, but then has never given me any assignments! :( Oh well.

I am an executive assistant (glorified secretary) by trade, so my job is to make documents look nice. Not quite to the extent of a real desktop publisher, but since the documents I work with are business/legal docs, I'm much less forgiving of unnecessary embellishment. So yes, I definitely reformat my patterns, recipes, etc. Just about anything that I take off the 'net, unless it's a .pdf.

As far as this afghan is concerned, it is REALLY pretty! I can see this in a nice deep blue, too. It's geometric enough to work for a man's afghan, I think. :)

Archived