I just made a spectacle of myself at Michael's

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job!! We need more people to speak out like you did.

We live in this strange time now where teens are less and less respectful not only to others but themselves. (not all of course) Some days I would love to tell people to brush there hair, wash there face and wear something other than pjs to the store. What happen to people caring about their language and taking a few minutes to care for themselves?????

If children live with criticism,

they learn to condemn.

If children live with hostility,

they learn to fight.

If children live with fear,

they learn to be apprehensive.

If children live with pity,

they learn to feel sorry for themselves.

If children live with ridicule,

they learn to feel shy.

If children live with jealousy,

they learn to feel envy.

If children live with shame,

they learn to feel guilty.

If children live with encouragement,

they learn confidence.

If children live with tolerance,

they learn patience.

If children live with praise,

they learn appreciation.

If children live with acceptance,

they learn to love.

If children live with approval,

they learn to like themselves.

If children live with recognition,

they learn it is good to have a goal.

If children live with sharing,

they learn generosity.

If children live with honesty,

they learn truthfulness.

If children live with fairness,

they learn justice.

If children live with kindness and consideration,

they learn respect.

If children live with security,

they learn to have faith in themselves

and in those about them.

If children live with friendliness,

they learn the world is a nice place in

which to live.

I always remember this when I see a teenager doing something that "I" consider unappropriate. She didn't raise herself, she didn't learn from nothing or noone.

I think she needed guidance, and you provide some for that "pat yourself on the back.

:manyheart

Kidge

I don't care about cell phone conversations; they don't seem any different from conversations with another person. However, I am so tired of constant profanity everywhere. (My seventeen year old just told me she is tired of people confusing profanity with wit!)

i too am very proud of you. the one thing that bothers me though is how everyone seems to assume that its just teenagers that do this kind of thing, sooo not true, i have had to stand behind someone in line and they are doing the same darn thing that this cheecky little girl(and i say that because she obviously needs to grow up), i :clap :clap for standing up for that sweet elderly lady, who had alot more tolerence than i would have had. can you believe this kind of thing just happened not long ago but it was not a teenager, was a adult who was mad at her husband and called him every name on the books and then some, all in front of her very young daughter who right away repeated what mommy said. how sad this kind of thing happens at all, cell phones are not suppose to take over our lives, they are for emergencys, not a personal 24/7 uses. iown and use a cell phone but i do it with respect to others. and safety is number 1 issue. when the phone rings it is answered on the condition that number 1. i have a safe place to pull over, number 2,that i respect others right to privacy around me. should i need to talk to whoever, i excuse myself and go to a area where i am not bothering anyone. rudeness in anyone is not excusable any age hugs for you for standing up to that rude person:hug :hug :hug :hug

Good for you Cali! I'm not offended too much by language people use, but it's still too rude to talk like that in any public place. You did a fantastic job!:cheer:manyheart

:cheer :cheer That was awesome!! :cheer :cheer

So often I hear teenaged girls chatting on the cell phones in the 'phone voice', not that 'inside voice' that we were taught to use, and then they give you a look when you notice their conversation. How can you not?

As far as the language thing, I have a problem at my house too with teenaged boys, well, actually 11-14 year old boys walking up and down my street cussing at each other. I have a 7 year old son so I have asked them more than once not to use that language where he can hear it. I was cussed at. Then my DH got involved........they don't cuss in front of my house anymore.

What does that say to me? No respect for women.

Ok, I went off on a rabbit trail, as my dh would say, but my point is this.... with so many people starting their families later and later in life, the children don't get to really know their grandparents which, in turn, makes them unaware of how treat older people. Thank goodness my children know their grandparents and were even able to get to know their great-grandmother before she died so they know the 'fountain of history' the elderly are and that they should be treasured.

There was one day we were all out as a family, doing some shopping. DH and I were chatting as we were approaching the doors going in to the store. All of a sudden my 15 y/o son ran ahead of me, which caught my eye as I couldn't figure out what he was doing. He ran ahead of me to open the store door for an elderly couple. The man was helping the woman walk as she was quite slow and he was pulling along an oxygen tank (I don't recall who was using it though). My husband looked at me and had a look of pride on his face. I was even more proud of him that day than I normally am.

Good for you!!! That was an excellent thing to say, "Have some respect and take it outside." That was the perfect thing to say. (I'll have to remember that one!)

You hit the nail on the head. No respect or consideration for others.

Parents are supposed to teach their children and set an example. There's a saying, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

Way to go!!! I too can make a sailor blush, given the opportunity, but that is not something that needs to be done loudly and in public....... I despise that. And being rude to elders, or any other stranger for that matter is just wrong.

Good work!!

Cece

Good for you!!! I "stood up" for an elderly person in a super market once who was "gettin' the business" from a teen at the register. It's all in the home training! You can tell the tree by the fruit it bears. I have found that a lot of teen agers don't have respect, because they've never been taught it at home. If I EVER found out one of my teens acted like that to an older person, well, after i jack-slapped him up side his head, I'd make him appologise, and for punishment I'd make him mow her lawn for a year! Good job!!!

Haha AunteM....I saw your post after I wrote this....about the tree and all that :)

Way to go!! I have this "bad" habit of saying "yes ma'am" or "no sir",etc. Many of my clients will say, "you don't have to call me (sir) or (ma'am)". I look at them and smile saying, "yes I do. My mother is 87, and taught me manners, and if she EVER thought I was being disrespectful w/o a very good reason, she would somehow manage to STILL turn me over her knee and tan my hide". Lol. They will usually go, "in that case, it's ok". lol

So many times nowadays, common curtesy and respect are not so common after all. Let's bring it back.

Sandy

Yep. I'm 40, and to this day! If my daddy (he's nearly 70) hear's me say yes or no with out the mam or sir in front of it, i get corrected, pronto! I was taught as a child that not saying yes mam or no mam was a serious manner infraction. and its a habit that i still can not break. and you know, i'm kinda glad too :)

If one does not have a broad enough vocabulary to express themselves adequatly without using foul language, then maybe they need to take a night course or something. There's nothing worse than hearing foul gutter language come from the lips of a lady.

That is so cool. :clap:clap:clap You deserve big thumbs up! "Have some respect" indeed! I would have clapped for you, too, if I had been there. Thanks for making my day. And kudos to the old lady, too, for having such grace.

Someone I know repeats aloud things people say when they are talking too loud on their cell phone in public. Once, this girl yelled at him, saying "This is a private converstaion!" and he just yelled back "And this is public space!" :devil I don't recommend people do this, though...could be dangerous. :eek

And don't even get me started on public cussing...my BF doesn't curse at all (except once in a while when he is working on his car...:lol). He says you never know when children might be around.

If one does not have a broad enough vocabulary to express themselves adequatly without using foul language, then maybe they need to take a night course or something. There's nothing worse than hearing foul gutter language come from the lips of a lady.

:yes

Thanks for standing up!! Nice job.

:clap:jumpyay Way to go!!! You did a real good thing...kids nowdays...it's a shame!

“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”

– Albert Camus

Way to go!! People are so rude sometimes. If I was on the other line, hang up. I work in a grocery store, and it's hard to get a cell call in or out. People yell and then get mad if someone says to keep it down. I don' have a cell and don't want one, ever. I think more places should ban them (emergencies only). If you can't go a couple of hours without talking to your friends, stay home.

Ellie 13

Good job!! We need more people to speak out like you did.

We live in this strange time now where teens are less and less respectful not only to others but themselves. (not all of course) Some days I would love to tell people to brush there hair, wash there face and wear something other than pjs to the store. What happen to people caring about their language and taking a few minutes to care for themselves?????

I agree people shouldn't wear pjs in public. I'm a jeans and T shirt girl, but I'm always neet and clean (no torn stuff). A young girl once told me I should dress more "lady like" or they might think I was gay (she used the "D" word). I told her "At least I don't look like a hooker (as she did)." She got all flustered and didn't know what to say. Sometines I say things off the top of my head, then wish I didn't.

llie 13

I wanted to kill me a couple of teens the other day, keep in mind I'm only 26 so you can see how it affects even the younger generations. I was handing out candy to trick or treaters when 3 boys came on my porch, they were acting stupid and throwing candy at each other in the street, I'd say they were 15-16 years old. As they turned to leave they started cussing at each other right in front of me on my property. I should have thrown them off my porch.

I agree people shouldn't wear pjs in public. I'm a jeans and T shirt girl, but I'm always neet and clean (no torn stuff). A young girl once told me I should dress more "lady like" or they might think I was gay (she used the "D" word). I told her "At least I don't look like a hooker (as she did)." She got all flustered and didn't know what to say. Sometines I say things off the top of my head, then wish I didn't.

llie 13

:laughrollThat's priceless.

I have very short hair and I always wear pants (jeans mostly) and a very casual top. No make-up, either. Once, when I was picking up my son from preschool, this girl saw me said to my son, "Sam, is that your daddy?" :lol:lol:lol

I wanted to kill me a couple of teens the other day, keep in mind I'm only 26 so you can see how it affects even the younger generations. I was handing out candy to trick or treaters when 3 boys came on my porch, they were acting stupid and throwing candy at each other in the street, I'd say they were 15-16 years old. As they turned to leave they started cussing at each other right in front of me on my property. I should have thrown them off my porch.

I'm 26 too!

A lot of you have mentioned your parents' teachings... I think the reason I felt that I made a spectacle of myself is that my mom always adhered to the Emily Post philosophy that "pointing out another's rudeness is even ruder than being rude oneself." In other words, if someone is rude to you, you should smile and nod at them and not let them know that they've committed a faux pas, because being a gracious Lady is most important of all. :rofl

But I think there's a definite line between a faux pas, and outright insane disrespect. Additionally, the girl wasn't actually rude TO ME, she was rude to the older lady, whom I was defending. So it's okay.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's kind words; now that the incident is well past, I'm STILL thinking of "cooler" things I could have said, but I am pretty happy with my reaction. Now I want to go save the world! hahaha

CaliAdria,

There is a great degree of difference between pointing out an error in ettiquette (i.e someone used the wrong fork, or misprounounced a word) We should not point such things out as they could cause that person undue embarrasment; however taking someone to task for a faux pas (faux pas- a blunder made in/with stupidity, carelessness, or thoughtlessness) is morally required as it shames the individual who is blatantly disrespectful, vulagar, rude, insensitive, thoughtless, tacktless, etc. into immediate, corrective action (hopefully, usually), prventing further harm, or damage. Now Christ did say to turn the other cheek, (this is meekness; when an afront has been made against/to us personally we should make every effort to walk away in humility, no anger no retaliation, etc.); however when another's actions are disruptive, disrepsectful, or harmful to others, especially those in a weaker position than the attacker or ourselves, we are required to stand up to them, in protection of the weaker individual. That is called Peacemaking. You did what is right, what we all should be willing to do.

Archived