I just made a spectacle of myself at Michael's

I had gone into the store to get a size E hook, but of course I wound up spending at least an hour just browsing the yarn...

Anyway, so I'm standing in the hook aisle and there's an older lady standing near me, when we hear this ... girl ... screaming on her cell phone to someone. She's dropping [all sorts of cuss words] all over the place, and the old lady turns to me with this ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED expression and says, "Gee, we should probably say a prayer for that one!"

Then the cellphone girl and her companion round the corner onto our aisle, and the old lady says, "Were those profanities coming from the mouth of one of YOU beautiful, beautiful girls?"

Cellphone girl (who I can now see is your typical Orange County teenager - [attitude] and about $5k of clothing on her size-0 self) gives the lady this LOOK and says, "Look, _______, I'm just trying to have a conversation with my boyfriend and I don't need YOU butting into it!"

:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

Okay, I can handle cell phone conversations, I can handle rudeness, etc, but I can NOT handle that level of disrespect.

I turned around and gave the girl the exact same look she'd given the old lady and said, "Girl, you sound like a piece of trash and you look even worse. Have some respect and take your conversation outside."

I guess I look young enough for her to pay attention to me (you know how teenagers don't listen to ANYTHING older people say... I am older but I, too, look like an OC resident, minus the size-0 self... oh, and the $5k of clothes), because she muttered, "Sorry" and walked away.

A couple of bystanders clapped at me, too. It felt nice.

But Michael's didn't have any good fingering-weight yarn, so I didn't leave the store feeling successful. :no

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of Stephen King's book The Cell. Everyone who was using a cell phone at a certain time went crazy. Ultimately only those without cell phones survived.

I don't own a cell phone. I don't own a boyfriend. So I'm safe to enter Michael's:lol .

Good for you. :tup Many a times I wanted to let them know how I felt about the language used on the cell phones in public.

Glad you put her in her place when it came to the disrespect. That is one thing I will not tolerate in teenagers.

Sorry to here you didn't get the fingering yarn, but you did your good deed for the day. So three :cheer :cheer :cheer for you.:yes

Way to go! :applause I am so often offended by things I hear people in say in the store or on the phone...and it's always to people they are supposed to love (i.e. family members, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc.) It makes me so sad. I'm glad you stood up to the rudeness and disrespect and defended that sweet lady. I bet that made her feel special, too! :hug

Hmmmmm...I don't think YOU are the one who made the spectacle of oneself. ;) I wish I were as courageous as you. I was once in a store and heard one of the employees using fowl language just as you described because she was upset at the messed up aisle she had to clean. I was in the next aisle over and it kept going on, minute after endless minute. I finally put my things down and left the store. I couldn't take it anymore and I was not about to spend money in a store that hired such people. What I should have done was find a manager and speak with them of the matter,but... like I said...I lack in the courage department.

Good for you for taking a stand and for the honor you have shown all our elders. :clap

Take a bow :bow Good for you!!!!! :clap:cheer:clap:cheer These young people today have no respect for themselves much less anyone else [and especially the elderly]!!!

Sorry about the fingering weight yarn though :blush

The more I rehash this incident in my mind, the angrier I get. It makes me wonder who on earth RAISED that girl. I keep thinking of all sorts of things I could have said but didn't, too. Of course it always happens that way, doesn't it?

Thanks for your support, everyone. I feel like I took one for the team today! :D

:cheerI resent it, when anyone uses my space like a Phone Box.

I have been known to ask people if they are Transplant surgeons or recipients in waiting because I think they are the only people who need to be using a mobile phone while shopping.

We managed for years, without any sort of phone but these days, we all think we are indispensable and need to be on hand every second of the day.

Dont get me wrong, I have a Mobile phone but generally use it for texting which does not annoy others when I am using it.

I have had many a meal out spoiled by a loud "Full of their own importance" person having a conversation about some trivial matter which could have waited till they got back to work.

Good on you for speaking up. Young people do not seem to have any respect for even themselves if they speak like that. It is the same the whole world over.

I have tended to be the one who sat back and did not say anything but as I have become "MORE MATURE" I am finding it easier to speak out when I see or hear anything I think is not suitable for the time and place.

The old heart seems to thump a bit and the tongue seems to get fatter in the mouth but when you are done, you feel like maybe you have made a difference, even if only for a few seconds.

As they say in the Chat Shows, "You go girl!"

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I am so glad you said that. I would want to say that (and probably more) but I lack the courage and feel that if I did get the courage up, and got started, I might not be able to stop. :blush Like Anna said, I don't think you were the one that caused the spectacle!

Tina

i think that more teenagers need to be told its not the right thing to do. if anyone ever caught my kids talking that nastyness i would hope that someone would call them on the carpet for it. My kids have been taught to be respectfull but what they do away from me i dont know about. YEAH FOR YOU!!!!!!

Well I'd say that is enough success to be very proud of. Not only was it disgusting of that girl to be carrying on that way, but then to have the nerve to say something so horribly awful. Good for you for setting her straight...apparently it's way past time somebody did! Way to go!!

Archived