Is there any reason not to use ...

... cashmere for baby items?

I'm bidding on some excellent fingering-weight cashmere yarn that I'd like to use for the christening set I'm going to be making. But I'm wondering why I never see cashmere listed under baby yarns. It's so soft, you'd think it'd be good for that. Is it because it's so expensive, and babies grow so fast? Or does it irritate baby skin? I want to be sure before I make this thing!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320042572037&rd=1&rd=1

There's my auction... doesn't it look great???

I don't really know the answer to this, but it's possible it could be related to allergy concerns for animal-based fibers.

Then there is the expense factor as you mentioned. Babies outgrow clothing items super-quick, and people may not want to invest that much money in something that will be worn for such a short time.

Well, a quick google search came up with a variety of cashmere baby clothing items, so I'm assuming it's probably more a matter of cost than concerns about allergies.

I found one baby romper for $188!

The main reason I can think of not to use cashmere in a baby garment is that it is a delicate yarn and must be handled delicately to clean. Can't just throw it in the washer and dryer. Babies aren't known for being the cleanest things so using a very expensive yarn that must be hand washed in cold water and blocked flat to dry every time it's spit up on wouldn't be appealing.

There's also the practicality of it. As a mom, I couldn't imagine using anything for my daughter that wasn't washer/dryer friendly. And I mean EXTREMELY friendly :U

The skin irritant factor is another top one - as with any reactions for babies, what might be a minor irritation when they get older could be really problematic when they are very little, especially when they can't tell you something itches or they hurt. That's why a lot of people at least start out with dye/fragrance free detergents for clothes and generally don't feed foods like peanuts or strawberries to kids until they are big enough to fight off allergic reactions better, and better tell you if there is something wrong. :U

Now, if you were making a largely "ceremonial" piece - a blanket meant for Christening pictures and not everyday use, for example - it would be less potentially problematic. Plus, anything that isn't directly against the skin - again, a blanket rather than wearables - would have less irritant factor.

It is super soft, though, and I know my (almost 2 year old) daughter would just love to hug on and pet a skein.

Okay but for a christening dress, bonnet, booties, and blanket, it should be okay, right? I'm really trying to make an heirloom-quality piece so I want to use really, really nice yarn.

I love how that baby romper ad specifically says, "for the baby who has everything." Seriously! :rofl

Okay but for a christening dress, bonnet, booties, and blanket, it should be okay, right? I'm really trying to make an heirloom-quality piece so I want to use really, really nice yarn.

I love how that baby romper ad specifically says, "for the baby who has everything." Seriously! :rofl

I would think so - it's like a wedding dress; you don't buy it to be wash and wear! :lol

I'm sure the baby could and likely would wear a white onsie under it, and they wouldn't be wearing for more than a few hours maybe 2x (ceremony and pictures), and then it will just look smashing in a lovingly crafted shadowbox frame or on the next baby! :)

I think it's very important to use the best yarn when making something that will become an heirloom and passed down; you want it to be beautiful, and you want it to last. A christening is an important life moment, and the outfit should be as special as you can make it.

What a lovely thing you're doing. It will always be cherished.

Archived