The $150 Granny Square

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thrift stores deary, and hand me downs....yeppers, I am called the CHEEP BUM in the family, but hey, you would be SUPRISED at what you cab get at GoodWill for little money, I mean brand new stuff, not even worn...thats me, cheep:yay

LOL! Sounds like me. I love checking out the thrift stores for good finds, though occasionally I have to break down and buy something new just because I can't find it in the right size at thrift stores (I wear a 16w so sometimes it's hard to find that size)

As for new sellers, well I've been a member of eBay since 1998 and though I tend to be pretty cautious about 0 feedback ratings, I have occasionally bought from new sellers if they have something I want at the right price. So far I've only ever been burnt but once, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Oh my, I'm not sure what to really say. I know the 70's has come back in style but I was really hoping they wouldn't. Definately not my style, atleast not that combo.

It did get me thinking about something though. When I was a kid, my great grandmother crocheted me a granny square top, the kind you would put over a white blouse I guess. I never did get to wear it, I believe she made it back in the late 60's or maybe even the very early 70's. I still have it packed away in the cedar chest if I remember right, it's more for sentimental reasons than anything else. Hmmmm, maybe I can get $150 since it's an original from that era, LOL!!!

I even have a dress she crocheted for me when I was really young, she couldn't crochet it fast enough for me to really ever wear as I grew to fast for her. When I did get to wear it it was only for taking a pic in and I had to sit with my legs curled to the side and under me.

Happy Crocheting

Pam

The Only One Ever Made it says... I can sorta see why!:lol I'm sorry - that was mean. I see it has five minutes left and no bids and I'm sorry to say but for my tastes it really doesn't do anything for me. The color combo doesn't really work and I've never heard of the designer... :think Perhaps I'm culture starved... but I think I'd make my own granny squares and sew 'em together myself before I'd spend $150 on that!

I went back and re-read the description. It says "hand crocheted", so I'm wondering if the seller copied it from a childs shirt and made an adult (a small adult) sized sweater.

Just from looking at the colors, they look really similar to some of the current colors of Red Heart yarn. I'm tempted to email the seller and ask if it's a storebought sweater or if she made it.

Sorta seems like the "hand crocheted" part isn't necessary since I have yet to see a crocheting machine:think

and there never will be a crochet machine unless they build a robot with hands that have the same dexterity as a human. As far as I know, there isnt yet a technology that can mimic a human's dexterity well enough to crochet.

I grew up in the 70s as well, and I can remember when a sweater like this would cost about 8 dollars to make!!! The Hippy, BOHO look is coming back ....and that is fine, if anyone is interested in looking through some of these old patterns for granny square shirts/sweaters or ponchos...(mine was yellow and ORANGE!:eek ) this site is great.......

http://web.archive.org/web/20010405162305/www.groovycrochet.com/index.html

unfortunately someone "hacked" the site, so many of the links are without pics......with patterns like these you could make your own sweater,vest,skirt,poncho etc. in the colors you like and still have LOTS of money left over for YARN :yarn YARN :yarn YARN:yarn !:hook

• 4 weeks later...

Archived