The $150 Granny Square

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey ladies

This will certainly DATE me, but I remember when them little granny vests were in style !

I don't think I ever had one, but they were in style back in MY good old days. THEN they were in the 60s and 70s colors-

Orange, brown, gold, olive green .... you know, like everyone's living rooms and kitchens were ? You'd kinda blend in with the scenery if you wore one of these . ( Get lost sitting on the couch ! )

Where's WALDO ? On the couch in the granny vest .

:rofl :rofl Yeah, only mine was a ponch...clashing pink purple and white!

I'd be VERY surprised if she gets any bids at all.

a ZERO feedback seller and has only been a member since Sept 30? No way would I risk that kind of money on a newbie seller.

And a 8.10 flat rate postage? Grief. You could put that sweater in a tyvek envelope and send it for almost half that. Even if you wanted to charge your buyer insurance, you could still cut the postage price quite a bit.

She won't get any old-timer eBayers.. maybe a newbie who is intrigued by it all.

AND she can't spell.

I'll put it on my watch list to see what happens.. should be interesting.

You took the words right out of my mouth. With all the trouble zero feedback bidders and sellers are causing, the seller is wasting her breath and her money. She won't get any bids.

Has anyone else noticed that they spelled crochet wrong (yup lovemnms has - sorry im not that observant lol)? Maybe Chrochet is worth $150... Add an extra H ladies (and dudes) it makes all the difference price wise....

Speaking of misspelled words, there is another seller who is selling crocket (or something like that) books. They didn't sell them the first time, so they're embarrassing themselves a second time.

Step right up, folks, it's not too late to bid on this at e-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-of-a-Kind-Michael-Simon-Hand-Chrochet-Sweater_W0QQitemZ270046815102QQihZ017QQcategoryZ63866QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Somehow, I just can't imagine paying $150 for this -- even if it does have Michael Simon's designer label on it!

:lol

Well the seller can't be all bad since she's from Brooklyn, New York:lol . (I can say that since I'm a former New Yorker!)

Now this is certainly not my style either but I think we need to cut both the designer & this seller a bit of a break. Perhaps this is one of Mr. Simon's earlier crochet designs - it's not something many of us would pay $150 for but it IS handcrocheted (according to the seller) so we have to give him (or whomever made it) credit for that. Let's be honest people, we've all seen things on this very board that were clearly the work of beginners & I for one have seen lots of "ooh, that's super cute" or "great job-love the colors!" on things that were a lot worse off than this. I think the $150 price tag is giving us all "permission" to be just the least bit snarky. I admit my 1st reaction was Whoa! Who in the world would pay $150 for THAT???? And then I remembered my 1st attempts @ it & how awful some of those things turned out.

As for the seller's rating...everyone has to start somewhere. They may not know enough to research their items to see what's selling, what a good starting price would be & generally how to begin selling on eBay. I know when my hubby 1st started selling his football/baseball cards he made some mistakes in listings that we know cost him sales but he persevered. Perhaps this seller is trying to help bring some additional income into the household (that's why my hubby started selling some much loved cards-heating oil is expensive here in Eastern PA!!). We have to give them credit for getting it out there. I hope they do well because it takes chutzpa to sell things like this for starting prices like that. For all we know the seller could be a member of this board.

All I'm saying (and I'm not trying to start a flame war) is this....

walk a mile in their shoes.

Just putting in my 2 cents

Well the seller can't be all bad since she's from Brooklyn, New York:lol . (I can say that since I'm a former New Yorker!)

Me too! (once a NY'er ALWAYS a NY'er!)

I emailed the seller and asked if it was homemade or if it was commercially produced. This is what she said.

"Hello,

The sweater was hand made in a factory. I used to work in the Michael Simon showroom, so I was able to get my hands on a few exclusive styles."

So, now we're left to wonder just how old the kid in the sweatshop who made it was...and just how exclusive could it be if it was made in a factory?

Holy granola, I checked out the link from Pragmatica, and those are beyond *****. People pay $$$ for that stuff? I've seen less tacky stuff at Kmart. On clearance. In the children's section. In 1987.

I emailed the seller and asked if it was homemade or if it was commercially produced. This is what she said.

"Hello,

The sweater was hand made in a factory. I used to work in the Michael Simon showroom, so I was able to get my hands on a few exclusive styles."

So, now we're left to wonder just how old the kid in the sweatshop who made it was...and just how exclusive could it be if it was made in a factory?

Eek. Now we know why this and the dress are such simple motifs - made by people who HAVE to crochet. Can you imagine having to fulfill a quota of crocheted items per day? Ugh!

You would think that, for being a newbie seller and starting off with something so ugly and (IMO) over-priced, she would at least put a bit of description down there. I, for one, am not going to buy something like that for that much money without some kind of description as to how she knows it's one-of-a-kind. And, if she emailed that it was made in a factory, then it leads me to wonder if it really is the only one. :think

I don't think I'm being snarky to say that a zero feedback seller isn't going to get bids from old-time eBayers.

I've been a member of the bay since 2001, started out only buying and started selling a little in the summer of 2005. I spend a bit of time now and then reading the community boards to keep up to date on what's going on in the eBay world. One of the things that the buyer boards recommends over and over again is NOT to buy from a zero feedback seller.

And the seller boards tell new sellers to get a little feedback behind their name..they don't have to spend $$$$$$ to do so either, just buy a few low dollar items, complete the sale, and hopefully receive some positive feedback so that their customers will feel more confident in dealing with them.

And I still say $8.10 Flat Rate is too much for shipping, but it certainly makes it easier for the seller. Good Grief, she even is charging $8.10 for shipping a Beret!!!

The sweater itself isnt' something I would currently wear, but I would've worn it earlier in my life, so I"m not critiqueing it.

and LOL at whoever is selling Crocket Books. I'll have to go look for those. Wonder if Davy knows about them? :lol

Is this not theft of Intellctual property?

If she worked there and is now SELLING these patterns using his name, it seems to me that she could be in big trouble.

Given all the discussion that goes on everyhwere on earth about copyright these days it is difficult to do this unwittingly...

Just as a quick clarification ... Michael Simon is a "designer label" (like Liz Claiborne, Donna Karan, etc.) and I suspect that Michael Simon -- if he even exists -- didn't put hook to yarn at any point in his life. And, since really very few of the Michael Simon stuff is crocheted, I think we're all safe from seeing many more like this. :whew

I actually found this because I do like some of the Michael Simon sweaters (different strokes, obviously...), such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICHAEL-SIMON-ADORABLE-ICE-SKATERS-TOP-JACKET-M-L_W0QQitemZ230043698149QQihZ013QQcategoryZ63868QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Michael-Simon-Dr-Suess-Christmas-sweater-size-s_W0QQitemZ200041479234QQihZ010QQcategoryZ63866QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Although no one has ever accused me of blending into the scenery, even I would not wear that silly granny square top!:lol

Is this not theft of Intellctual property?

If she worked there and is now SELLING these patterns using his name, it seems to me that she could be in big trouble.

Given all the discussion that goes on everyhwere on earth about copyright these days it is difficult to do this unwittingly...

she's not selling patterns, she's selling the actual sweater. Not a copyright violation.

I worded that badly. I mean that she is taking his patterns, making something and selling the items based on his 'intellectual property'.

Most of the sites I go to specifically forbid me to sell any item from a pattern they have given me permission to use for self or for charity.

Archived