The $150 Granny Square

Step right up, folks, it's not too late to bid on this at e-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-of-a-Kind-Michael-Simon-Hand-Chrochet-Sweater_W0QQitemZ270046815102QQihZ017QQcategoryZ63866QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Somehow, I just can't imagine paying $150 for this -- even if it does have Michael Simon's designer label on it!

:lol

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is that price because of the name. Michael Simon is a designer, probably better know for childrens clothes. But he does do several knits and crochet items in his adult collection.

But to tell you the truth, I think it's kinda ugly :yes

Wow. It's a testament to how divergent our tastes are around here that I can't agree that it's a nice sweater with anything resembling a straight face. I think the polite way to say this is "Um, it's not to my taste?" It also appears to be a really simple pattern; I'm not much on wearables (though I'm working on improving) but this looks like a flower in the middle of a big big granny, sew up the two grannies leaving holes for arms and neck, and make some tubes for sleeves? Heck, it's not even shaped for fit.

But again, I tend towards a fitted fit without embellishment, so there's actually nothing that Michael Simon does that I would wear. I'd never heard of him before, but apparently he does highly appliqued, blocky, super-embellished sweaters and T-shirts that are allegedly sold in high-end department stores. They're just not in any of the departments that I shop in.

Purseblog lists one of his purses in their "f'gly Bag" section, and I'd have to agree. Unfortunately, even though I recall a thread titled "f'gly yarn" in the Yarn forum, I can't write "f'gly" or post a link with that text in this posting. You can Google "Michael Simon purse blog" to see the creation in question. He does make some fairly cute clothes for little girls, which are the one segment of the population that I'd be willing to dress in clothing festooned with appliques.

Geez. Can't believe I just spent five minutes learning about a designer whose work I dislike. Hurray for work avoidance behavior! Anyway, there's clearly a market for this stuff, so I have to congratulate the guy on having a vision that works. (See? THAT wasn't snarky at all. I actually meant it.)

--Elissa

I'm going to make one of those this afternoon... you think I could get $150 for it??? LOLOL!

Sorry, I have to say it is not to my liking either, but I'm sort of fashion/designer label challenged, so what do I know...lol.

I'd be VERY surprised if she gets any bids at all.

a ZERO feedback seller and has only been a member since Sept 30? No way would I risk that kind of money on a newbie seller.

And a 8.10 flat rate postage? Grief. You could put that sweater in a tyvek envelope and send it for almost half that. Even if you wanted to charge your buyer insurance, you could still cut the postage price quite a bit.

She won't get any old-timer eBayers.. maybe a newbie who is intrigued by it all.

AND she can't spell.

I'll put it on my watch list to see what happens.. should be interesting.

OK, first, I don’t know who Simon is;

second, I would never pay $150 for this (it’s really not my thing);

third, how much is this thing brand new?;

fourth, who is the person selling, and as said before with being new and zero feedback I wouldn’t risk my money either;

fifth, how does the seller know that’s this is the only one made;

and lastly, she can’t spell crochet (chrochet)!

:no I'll pass.

I could make that for $1. But i wouldnt bother because its so awful.

For a cushion cover or a throw YES, but to wear? There were SO many better choices this man could have made.....

Has anyone else noticed that they spelled crochet wrong (yup lovemnms has - sorry im not that observant lol)? Maybe Chrochet is worth $150... Add an extra H ladies (and dudes) it makes all the difference price wise....

OK, first, I don’t know who Simon is;

second, I would never pay $150 for this (it’s really not my thing);

third, how much is this thing brand new?;

fourth, who is the person selling, and as said before with being new and zero feedback I wouldn’t risk my money either;

fifth, how does the seller know that’s this is the only one made;

and lastly, she can’t spell crochet (chrochet)!

:no I'll pass.

I went back and re-read the description. It says "hand crocheted", so I'm wondering if the seller copied it from a childs shirt and made an adult (a small adult) sized sweater.

Just from looking at the colors, they look really similar to some of the current colors of Red Heart yarn. I'm tempted to email the seller and ask if it's a storebought sweater or if she made it.

Hey ladies

This will certainly DATE me, but I remember when them little granny vests were in style !

I don't think I ever had one, but they were in style back in MY good old days. THEN they were in the 60s and 70s colors-

Orange, brown, gold, olive green .... you know, like everyone's living rooms and kitchens were ? You'd kinda blend in with the scenery if you wore one of these . ( Get lost sitting on the couch ! )

Where's WALDO ? On the couch in the granny vest .

I want to know where you guys are shopping that you can stock your whole closet for $150!!! I need to go there, and stock up!

Maybe it's Southern California, but I can't even go to the grocery store without spending $150, much less a clothing store!

I actually think it's pretty. But then, I'm also a 1970s hippie wannabe. :D

I was also checking out some of her other items. Look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Simon-Girl-Hand-Chrochet-Sweater-Dress_W0QQitemZ270046803333QQihZ017QQcategoryZ11468QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow. The knit sweater isn't exactly to my liking, either. Or the chrochet children's dress.

Now, if she's asking this much, how much were they brand new?? I agree, that kind of money on a first time seller?? Uh-uh.

Searching auctions for Michael Simon Crochet, there are a handful of listings, the most expensive a Hallowe'en sweater at $90: Item # 220027266414 Although that seller has other Michael Simon items, one sweater asking over $200.

Again: Wow.

Sally

Hmmm.... NO, I am not really liking this either, and I sure would not spend that kind of money on it even if I did (I prefer the prices at Shea-WalMart). I am in agreement that you should not purchase such an expensive item on e-bay from a new seller; and the description should be more complete. I also am fashionably challenged, if this is what passes for high fashion.

Isn't it funny that if you tried to sell something like that, you would be lucky if you got the price of yarn.

When I worked and knitted, someone asked me to make them a sweaterr, they would pay for the yarn of course. I said no I don't do that. Well, she got all huffy and went out and spent $80.00 on a sweater, because it had a designers name on it.

And ah if you noticed, she did not have any bids on it.:hook

I want to know where you guys are shopping that you can stock your whole closet for $150!!! I need to go there, and stock up!

Maybe it's Southern California, but I can't even go to the grocery store without spending $150, much less a clothing store!

Thrift stores deary, and hand me downs....yeppers, I am called the CHEEP BUM in the family, but hey, you would be SUPRISED at what you cab get at GoodWill for little money, I mean brand new stuff, not even worn...thats me, cheep:yay

Archived