Yarn Factory Outlet - Ontario Canada

smokeyp81

I saw this on a knitting board that I go to...Has anyone been to this store? I just put the address in mapquest....it's 6 1/2 hours away from me!?! A little too far away to justify a yarn shopping trip!

Looks like it might be good!

Yessss!! Heather I have been there!

And I must say, it's like a lttle piece of heaven! I personally haven't been there in a couple of years (we used to take our vacation down that way every year), it is in a beautiful area of Ontario,and you must drive thru Mennonite country to get there! (try to stop at the farmer's market in St.Jacobs on your trip, and have a meal at Anna Mae's in Milbank).

They carry "regular" skeins of yarn, patterns and yarn kids (possibly some latch-hooking kits too), but the best deals are on the mill-ends at 35-cents an ounce. I have likely bought (over the years - a truckload of yarn from there and have never had a problem). I'm guessing the ir-regular skein size is why they charge by the pound. My mom, gets THE BEST deals there - in February, and I believe in September they have a big anniversary and tent sale, she gets hanks (? those big bunches of yarn you put around backs of chairs & roll into balls) for $3 each .... which is enough to make 3 large baby blankets. Since I've had a horrible cold the last few weeks I've been un-winding hanks instead of knitting or crocheting. I *only* have 2 huge garbage bags + 2 hanks left!! Apparently at these sales you basically stand in line and shop while you're waiting to pay, as there is no room to move about (other customers help you grab the yarn you want) - yes!! I said is was a little piece of heaven. My mom always buys as much as she can carry (mostly for me!) and refuses to stand in line a second time! If you sign-up for thier newsletter they will let you know when the sales are coming up. I think it's usually the 3rd weeks of February and September. Its by no means a huge store, but sometimes it pays to stay overnight and check back the next day, to see what they've added (there's lots of things to do within an hours drive of the factory, even tho the outlet is in a small town)

Just a work of caution for anyone coming from out of Ontario .... ALL yarnpurchases are subject to an additional 14% sales tax (yep, makes a big difference at the register if your'e not used to it) (7% each provincial and federal), however if you are an American visitor, you can get a rebate application at the border crossing so you can submit you receipts and get the federal tax (known at the GST, goods & servies tax) refunded to you. Of course there is also the favorable exchange rate for you, so your $100US is worth something like $112Cdn, so that helps a bit to.

I am also about 8 hours away (in Ottawa), but try to get there as often as I can, we might make a 3-day trip this summer, as it will be easier to get away this year. My husband also LOVES going there, as he is a farmer and likes to see the BIG farms in operation, and stopping at the tractor dealerships to look for farm toys to add to his collection. Also if you do other crafts, check out Len's Mill outlet (? I think thats' what its called) they have all kids fo crazy things (cloth diapers 1 doz/$9.99) and a warehouse of fabric, seemingly at reasonable prices (I don't sew, sorry I can't help you there!).

The sales clerk are always frindly and knowledgeable, and now you're making me miss the place terribly!

Fran

Wow! I'm moving there!!! :D

(Not really, but the thought of a yarn outlet center is almost enough to justify another move!)

You're all SOOOOOO lucky!!!

OOOH my, are you in my brain?? My husband keeps looking on-line for farms to buy so we can move down to that area .. the only problem is that when he finds one for example: 50-acre chicken farm, has 4 barns & seperate kill room, large storage freezers, 500 chickens .... we look at each other and say "we'll have the kind of farm where the animals live happily ever after"

but we're definately keeping it in mind for when we retire!

Fran

• 5 years later...

Archived