Granny's Granny Squares

One of the girls that I work with has a grandmother who is 99 years old. She is in the hospital now dying. As she and her aunts cleared out the house, they came across a big box of granny squares that the grandmother had made. (It looked to have been ages ago judging by the labels on the yarn and the spider nests in the suares):blush She asked me to assemble them so she could put the blanket over her grandmother while she was in the hospital. Of course I said yes. I arranged the squares as best I could- The colours are horrid, but its the whole idea of why we were doing this that made it all worth it. There was an uneven number of squares, so I made her a throw pillow.

(before pic)

squares1.jpg

(pillow)

squares2.jpg

(After)

finishedblanket.jpg

They are very bright and cheerful granny squares (a bit too bright and cheerful for some, I am sure!) but you put them together beautifully and I am sure the pillow is just some icing on the cake. What a lovely gesture :)

-- Michelle

Well orange is not a color I would have chosen but I think it looks pretty good finished. I have a quilt that was just a pieced together bunch of fabric in an old cedar chest that is worse. It is bright oranges and pinks on a white square, if you can believe that. My DH's Grandmother put it together years ago and never got around to actually making the quilt. My MIL took it about 2 years ago and actually quilted it and sent back to my DH as a surprise. He thinks it is wonderful because it is something from his GM. It is special but whew, those colors are bad!

I think you did a wonderful job on the afghan and pillow. I also think your friends Grandma will love it -- after all, it was her color choices. :manyheart

Debi Y. :hook

You did a great job putting them together and with the pillow. These kinds of stories remind me of why I continue to crochet after all these decades. Crocheters take care of each other. We value and respect that someone made something even if we woudn't do it that way.

bless you

Archived