Stupid things that bug me...

This is pretty much the most trivial crochet annoyance ever. I inherited some bright almost-neon red acrylic worsted (K-Mart Sayelle from a million years ago, when K-Mart had their own yarn brand with a $1.27 price printed on the label) that I've been turning into winter hats, and the only G hook I could find is a bright fuchsia Boye, and the yarn and hook clash miserably next to each other.

How stupid is it to be bugged by my hook clashing with my yarn? Very. But this is the only place where I might possibly find any sympathy for it.

--Elissa

:rofl Sorry guys but this really tickled my funny bone.:rofl

My anoyance is when it is warm and because my hands can get sweaty, the hook squeeks when I crochet. My DH will put the tv on mute and say "what is that squeeking sound?" I have to stop till it cools off a littl.:hook

I completely understand how this would bug you! Honestly, you have to sit there for hours (whether all at once or spread out) and stare at those two things. If they aren't at least bearable to look at, it would make for some miserable crocheting!

I've never really had to match my needle with my yarn, but I am very particular as to what colors my needles are. I don't like yucky colors, lol They have to be in my fav. colors and colorful, Or I will go to another store to find a hook if the store doesn't have what I want. So I do understand, It is funny as well. My hubby tells me I have OCD, lol.

Kim

I am with TampaDoll on the sqeeking that happens to me too. I too have a color issue with my hooks (and knitting needles); when I purchase new ones, I try to obtain different colors than I already have, as I am then able to identify the size hook by the color. This did not always pan out with my knitting needles, I have several sets that are the same color so instead of just grabbing the color I have to actually identify the size. Thankfully, except for some of my thread hooks are all steel and were my were my grandmothers, and my fatties (N, P, and Q which you can just tell apart by looking at) all my others are different colors. If I need a D I grab blue, E is silver, F is mint green, G's are fuschia and dark green, H is grey, I is red, (no J) K is gold. I don't really care if my needle matches or clashes with the yarn or not, but have thought about purchasing duplicates, as it is difficult to crochet with a hook that is the same color as the yarn; hard to see what you are doing. Another reason I need duplicates; I set mine down a lot, forget where thay are then have to hunt them down.

it drives me insane when my hook/needles and yarn dont look good together, sometimes i'll deal with it, sometimes i'll go out and buy new...

i have picked the hook size for a project based on hook color before, like if im trying to decide between a J and a K hook i'll go for the one that looks better with the yarn, since the look wont be much different between the two

its a very good thing that i use a lot of black yarn... lol

:lolI suppose I have never thought of it like that, I am always so greatfull just to find the right sized hook in my mess, oh my, I hope you didnt start something here on me..:lol

:hook

I've tried useing the acrylic and plastic hooks and they bug me. I get that "squeeky" feeling when I use thing and it gives me the shivers down my spine.

I can't use the in-line Susan Bates hooks either. I don't know why, I've heard that they are supposed to be easier to use. I have an easier time with the Boye hooks. I also have a bit od the color thing to. I have to have the deep purple, deep blue and deep green colors. the red is ok, but the lighter colors and the gold bug me.

Yeah, I'm weird... LOL

I'm not terribly concerned about colours - I have more grey hooks than not- but the aluminum drives me crazy. it is like nails on a blackboard if my nail touches the hook.

Ok, I am aware of how the colours look between yarn and hook/needles but I don't allow it to affect my choices. i dare not!

Hey - just a tip on the squeaky hook thing. I get this sometimes with both my crochet hooks and knitting needles.

If you wash your hands AND the hook/needle with your dishwashing soap, it makes the squeaking stop and it restores the smoothness of the metal making the yarn literally glide over the hook.... like buttah ;)

When your hands get hot they release more of the natural oils in our fingers onto the hook and yarn. It's that oil that causes the issue... ever notice when the squeaking starts that your yarn and hook seem to be fighting each other and things don't seem to be going as smoothly? The dishwashing soap gets rid of those natural oils on the metal and then all is right with the world.

Well, I'm glad to see that though I may be lunatic, at least I'm not alone. FWIW, I don't let the hook/yarn clash keep me from projects or send me shopping for new hooks, but I do have to kinda visually tune it out.

Thanks for making me feel less alone about this!

I don't think I have ever noticed if the colors clashed! Hmmmm the only issue I have is when I get hot and sweaty. Hot flashes! just wait girls!

I am right there with you Wendy! Here's a little :fan to dry our hands! LOL

AJ,

Great advice. I will have to try that.

ChrisCrochet,

Your 13 row rule tickles me. Here lately I cannot set down a project until I have it completely finished!!! Have been making hats and scarves, head bands, and bracelets. I get annoyed if I have to stop in the middle. I just don't want anything interupting my crochet!

Archived