An Update on Caps to the Capital

The Craft Yarn Council of America reports that caps and letters for the Caps to the Capital program (featured in the Aug. 2 issue of Talking Crochet) are starting to trickle in to Save the Children headquarters in Westport, CT. The latest count is 7,403 :( caps and 562 notes from 820 participants.

Since the program only runs until the end of the year, and this count falls well short of their target goal of 250,000 caps, we need to keep our crochet hooks and knitting needles flying! I'd like to say a huge "thank you" to all of our readers who are already making caps for this very worthwhile program.

This info came in my Carol Alexander Newsletter ... see below

Did you receive this message from a friend? You can sign up to get your own FREE copy by clicking here.

Thanks for the reminder again. I had saved the kit (a pdf file) a while ago but hadn't got around to it. I received the e-amil yesterday for the newsletter and tried to go to the website and my internet went down. I made one hat this morning (the NEW Crochet Today magazine had this in it and a pattern for an easy hat) and plan on making some at lunch and this weekend.

Debbi

• 1 month later...

And with the clock running down very quickly...

Here are the current stats from my Bernat Newsletter

* 2,154 people participated

* 1,433 notes

* 24,668 caps

The original intent had been:

* 75,000 participants

* 250,000 caps

I just sent mine in on Thursday or Friday.:hook

Carol

And with the clock running down very quickly...

Here are the current stats from my Bernat Newsletter

* 2,154 people participated

* 1,433 notes

* 24,668 caps

The original intent had been:

* 75,000 participants

* 250,000 caps

Wow... Well, I was wondering, I have a few hats made, and I will send them before the deadline. Will they continue to accept hats for the charity, if not for the protest to the capital? Just wondering. I'm sure they need hats all the time, as babies are born all the time. Just a thought.

Victoria

Wow... Well, I was wondering, I have a few hats made, and I will send them before the deadline. Will they continue to accept hats for the charity, if not for the protest to the capital? Just wondering. I'm sure they need hats all the time, as babies are born all the time. Just a thought.

Victoria

I was wondering this too- money for shipping, yarn etc gets tight at the end of the year, and I'm sure many of us would like to be able to do this in 2007 too

Wow. I'm suprised. I thought that there would be so much more of a response. I sent only 2 hats earlier - wanted to make sure I got them sent before my crochet WIP got crazy for the holidays. I'll definately try to send more. This is such a great cause!

I've got approximately 35 caps made so far. I think I will get them ready to send to them with the tags on. Since I live in CT, only about 40 mins. from Westport CT I may call and see if I can hand deliver them.

Joan

Here is the response I received when I asked if they are going to continue this effort at Save the Children..

Thank you for your email.

Save the Children will be accepting hat for our Caps to the Capital campaign through mid-December.

After that point in time, please forward any hats or other knitted or crocheted items to Warm Up America Foundation, 2500 Lowell Rd. Ranlo NC, 28054. (704) 824-7838. Visit their website at http://www.warmupamerica.org for more details about their work and type of items that are accepted.

We appreciate all of your hard work and the gift of life that they will give to the newborns that receive them.

Warm Regards,

Dawn Nunn

Donor Services

Save the Children will be accepting hat for our Caps to the Capital campaign through mid-December.

Mid-Decemeber? yikes! I was planning to send them later than that but I guess since I'm going to the post office tomorrow, I might as well send them then. I have a question though - should I attach a tag to each cap I send?

Archived