Dora the Explorer's Backpack!

CrochetedJust4You

Just a friendly reminder about the trademark issues involved in distributing a pattern (whether for sale or free) using a trademarked character like this. Making the item for your own personal use is fine. However, to avoid any potential legal problems with high legal fees and court costs, before distributing any pattern you might create (whether you sell it or distribute for free), I highly advise you to contact the trademark owner and ask for permission to do so, if you are going to use any reference at all to the Dora the Explorer show or characters. The owner (most likely Nickelodeon) will probably require you to pay them a stiff licensing fee in order to obtain rights to use the names of the characters.

Alternatively, you could consult with an attorney who specializes in intellectual property laws for clarification of all the issues involved. If you decide to distribute the pattern with no reference to Dora at all, depending on how closely your backpack resembles the one on the show, you might want to contact an attorney to make sure the pattern isn't infringing on any trademark rights even though there is no mention of the original character.

To find the owner of the Dora trademark, you can go to http://www.uspto.gov and use their trademark search function to locate trademarks on just about anything.

Most companies are very fierce about protecting their trademarked characters. They have to be, or they risk losing the trademark rights altogether (and thereby the income stream these characters generate for them through licensing arrangements).

You're very welcome! :) Now that Crochetville is as large and visible a community as it is on the internet, we have to post regular reminders about copyright/trademark issues when discussions start heading that way. It's as much to protect our members as it is to protect the 'Ville itself. We certainly wouldn't want anyone facing legal action because of something that was posted publicly here. :no

• 7 years later...

I am such a fan!  I have made 5 of these adorable Dora outfits and my granddaughter thinks they are so great!   I want to make the backpack but can't seem to find the pattern.  Will you please print that again? 

Thank you for making me a hero to my granddaughter! 

Archived