Can you do the same pattern over and over?

I pretty much know I am going to do a pattern at least twice maybe more. I have a bit of a problem working through them. So I do one to see if I can then I do another. The second one almost always turns out better.

The only thing I find boreing is doing the same stitch over and over again. I did a yoga blanket and by the time i was finished I was pulling my hair out.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends...I've done the tank top in the 24-hour Crochet book several times, to make myself tops in different colors. I've also taken the 63-Squares pattern and crocheted my favorite squares and made a different afghan, so that was sort of a rehashing, but not quite. Usually, though, I like the challenge of trying something new.

With knitting, I'll do the same pattern over again, usually because I totally messed it up the first time <LOL>.

I guess I can, I just competed my third Baby It's Cold Outside sweater...each one to me tho turned out way different.

I have done two of some patterns in different sizes and to me they are different because I use different yarn and different hooks.

Pattern? What pattern? All of my patterns were lost several moves back. I would make one over if I liked it, but I find that I get bored with the project before it is even complete.

It depends on the pattern, small stuff like hats and scarves and things I can do over again, but big stuff like afghans no.... I have to have something different to keep my mind going. I have a scrap afghan in the works right now that I probably will be forever finishing because I keep getting bored :)

Cece

I tend to do a lot of patterns over and over, mostly afghan squares for my 'mindless projects'. I'll try making them with different colors/combinations or different size hook, different yarn but still the same pattern. But, eventually, I get tired of the same thing all the time and look for something new to make.

I can hardly stand to do the same stitch time after time, row after row. My latest "My-Way Afghan" was all in single crochet and I was so ready to chunk it! (But the yarn was pretty expensive for it, so I kept trudging along).

Not that I really follow a pattern, but doing the same thing over is just not something I can do. I have the attention span of a toddler. :lol

Well, if you look at my Angels, most of them are the same pattern. The only difference, is the colors and the flowers.

But when it comes down to it, except for the Angels and the Sock Monkeys, I don't usually do the same pattern over and over.

I am like you, I like to do something that is new and different.:hook

Good Morning,

I do the same patterns over and over. But with a break in between.

For example: I have 4 round ripples to do, I did my first girl one, then made one of Cupcake's Tea Cozys, then I did a boy one, then I made one of Crochet Dude's Sunshine Dishclothes, now I am working on another girl one, then I will make another Tea Cozy, etc til Christmas is over.

I do this because all nieces and nephews get an afghan and hat w/ mittens, 4 sil's get a Tea Cozy and dishcloths, and Mil get a home good basket with an Around-The-World afghan, a Tea Cozy, 4 dishcloths, a dishsoap dress, two towels with toppers, homemade jams and cookies and a couple of potholders. This year because of a lost in the family she is also getting an angel (thread). My dear hunny is getting slippers, afghan (still scouring for a Dallas Cowboy graph) and a bunch of DVD's (to keep him quiet while I crochet :devil )

So I will be repeatedly making round ripples, sunshine and pentagon dishcloths (thank you Crochet Dude), Tea Cozys (thank you Cupcake), hats and mittens, etc. Phew I tired.

Smiles,

:manyheart

Kidge

I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me at all...even if I have to make something IDENTICAL to a previous project.....For me crocheting is such a pleasure that it isn't important what I am crocheting, just that I am crocheting...... I guess!

If what I crochet is popular and easy, then I make lots of them (cupcake & donut pincushions, pot holders, scarves, butterflies, hanging towels). Right now, I'm making too many candles for Christmas and have an assembly line going. If it's something difficult and someone asks for one, I tell them "sorry, it was a limited edition." I like trying something new but still enjoy my favorites.

About the only things that I can make over and over are my 12" squares and I can make round ripples. I really think the only reason that I can keep making the round ripples is that I haven't made one yet that even resembles the others.

Most of the time though--I like to try new things.

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to get bored if I do the same pattern over again, although I did make a repeat afghan. I tested the pattern out and made a wedding afghan for a friend, and I liked the snowflake pattern so much I made one for myself (in a different color, of course). I had to do my friend's project first; if I'm making something for me, it just doesn't have the priority level. I guess it just depends on the pattern if I'll make it again or not.

<sigh> half of the time I can't even finish a project before getting bored with it...

For example:

I wanted to make a "Mrs. Who Shrug" for the Crochet Olympics last year... I got the main rectangle piece done and didn't pick it up again for MONTHS... I JUST finished off the sleeves 2 days ago and did 1 more round of the body ruffle <sigh>

On a good note, I actually sat down and made myself a PAIR of slippers today! Weaved the ends in and everything!

Tina

I am the same way. Now granted, there are a few things that I will remake and change color schemes or something, like hats, scarves, bibs, dishclothes, but most of the time, once I have completed a pattern I want the challenge and excitement of crafting something new and different. This is why I have 5 (yes 5) single slippers done, no mates, cus I just can't bring my self to make the pattern again. :loco Crazy, I know. That is why I quit making slippers.

I do the same thing with gloves!:lol I love a chanllenging pattern, and I relate to the puzzle analogy, the second time just isn't much fun.

I don't like doing the same thing over and over again, but a lot of times I do. I just went to my sons baby shower and I made them a blanket. Everyone loved it including my neice who has had 2 babies, and never recieved anything homemade from me. She asked if I could make her up one for each of her girls, and of course I said yes. Now I have to make two more before Christmas. I need to learn to say no more often!

Actually, unless I am doing it deliberately, I never make the same pattern twice, especially if I am making it for someone else. Every item I make as a gift is a one-of-a-kind.

That's not to say that I won't use the same pattern as a base to start with more than once, because I've done that often, but I always change something so that the next item is not the same as the first.

I'm kind of nutty that way. LOL

That sounds like me! LOL I use a base pattern and make a lot of changes depending on what I want.

I have a favorite baby afghan pattern that I do a lot because it works up fast because I can crochet it with thinking and it is really pretty. I do vary it by changing the color combinations.

I pretty much do the same thing. I know how fast and how pretty this one pattern works up, so when I need a baby blanket in a week or so, that is the pattern I try.

There are certain other patterns that I make, such as baby hats that I repeat because of how nice they turn out, but I also like to make new things all the time.

So, I guess my answer is yes and no. I do make some patterns over and over but I am always willing and able to try new ones too.

:manyheart

Archived