Can you do the same pattern over and over?

I made the centerpieces for my wedding 5 years ago it was a doily with three dimensional roses on the edging with more of the same roses in a glass bowl instead of candles or real flowers. also the favors had the roses on them as well. I can still work that rose pattern by memory after over 500 roses i should hate it but i am always pulling it out to make as gift for weddings. I also tend to make the same gift for the kids in my family each year at christmas just geared to their favorite colors/names whatever and right now there are 9 of them.I like to repeat patterns that way I can eventually just take yarn and work inthe car. I cancrochet while riding in the car but reading even a pattern or graph makes me carsick so a repetitive pattern or one I have done multiple times is ideal.

Chrissy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here I thought I was the only one who doesn't like doing the same pattern twice. The only patterns I do more than once are my Christmas ornaments, but I do them spaced out over the year, about 3 or 4 a month. I usually make about 20 to 25 ornaments each year for family and friends. I like the challenge of doing a new pattern but once I have finished it the challenge is gone. If I do a pattern twice I usually make some changes to it and that is a challenge to me.

CarolAnn

It depends on the pattern. I do make some over, but not right away. The angels I crochet for the Angels For Hope site I do over and over, but use different colors; also do other things in between. Those are great take along projects. Also I have a baby afghan that is a shell pattern you do in the back st so it puffs out on each side. Love that pattern and so have done several of those. But not back to back. There are always so many patterns that I want to try that I don't have to make the same one if I don't want to. And of course there are those that you never want to do again. lol

• 6 years later...

I have several hat patterns I adore and I've made numerous hats both for myself and for others with those patterns in the years I've had them. I make them in different colors and with different yarns but I've made many of them. However, it was not one right after the other, It was just one here and there. I don't think I could handle it to make one then immediately make another, and another. I get bored with the same thing over and over again like that. Which is why I don't typically make many motif projects - I get SO bored having to make dozens of the same motif over and over again till I have enough for the project. Years ago I had started a vintage motif afghan pattern I found in a book at the library. It was so beautiful in the pictures. But each motif was only a couple inches across, hexagon shaped. You had to make a couple hundred of them for the afghan. I think I managed to make about fifty and between all the motifs and the ends to weave in I gave up, divided them up into sets of 6-8 and gave them away as sets of coasters instead!

I have a collection of patterns which have been made by family members for generations. I love doing

and teaching them tp young family members justy learning cvrochet,knitting and quiting. In our

family if you need a sweatert you make it. The same with other items.Hand made items last years

longer than store items. You can also get the color and fit you want.

I will make the same item more than once but often with slight differences but not everything I do will ever be repeated as a lot of my work will be complete one offs.

I reason I do sometimes make some items more than once is because designing takes time and it would be a waste of time working on a new design never to recreate it ever again unless it's a one off special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived