Can you do the same pattern over and over?

I'm like CLLinda, doing the same pattern different colors. If I get a request to do a blanket and need it in a hurry I usually do a Large granny sq. That works up real fast, the V-st works up real fast also. And each blanket has a one of a kind also. Because it never fails with me, I always miss a stitch and make it up on the next row. That's what I call my one of a kind blankets, never are the blankets are the same.

jaye

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Yep every Christmas for four years I had a different stuffed character that I would sell. One year was a penguin, one was a snowman....I'd just assembly line them it was great fun and lotsa extra cash when I needed it to boot :D

I can't do the same pattern right away. I have to let some time and projects go by before I do a repeat. I never use the same colours or textured yarn though or I'd get bored too quickly with it.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

For me, it depends on the pattern itself. There are patterns that I can make over and over,,,then there are patterns I only make one time,,then I don't want to look at the pattern again.

I don't mind doing the same thing several times if they are small/quick. I've made lots of dishcloths, scarves and bookworms, for instance. I've even found when I repeated a poncho pattern that I read it better the second time. I'd enjoy making more donut pincushions cause they are so cute & fun, but I'm not sure who else to give them to (made 2 for Christmas presents)!

But if a project was a real stress-maker :thair or long & boring :sigh the first time, I don't want to do it again.

YES!!!!! I'm not the only one! I do a pattern once, then i'm off looking for another challenge! I think the only pattern i've done twice is for a newsboy hat, and hmm, what else. squares with butterflies on it, i was making little drawstring bags out of them. Other than that, maybe a super lacys ponco. it's all an open mesh stitch. i've done that one twice.

oh, and a scarf from happy hooker.

I've used the Boy Beanie from SNB Crochet several times this year, but that was because I kept getting request for them. I'm also try to use up some of my cotton stash, so I've been making the magic square hot pads to replace some of my old pot holders. I'm not getting any younger, though, and I still have a lot of patterns I want to try and new techniques to learn so the big projects only get made one time.:yes

Linda

http://360.yahoo.com/lkn4thgr

Hmmm... Sometimes I enjoy doing the same pattern twice! Must be part of my obsessive/compulsive disorder. I find a pattern I like and I keep doing it. Or a yarn that I like - and I'll make everything with that ceretain yarn. Or hooks - now I only want to do things with Jimbo hooks, so I adjust my patterns to be able to use the sizes I have.:hook

I am just the opposite. When I find a pattern I love, I will make it repeatedly.

Case in point, the blue shawl pattern in Doris Chan's new book. I love this pattern and have made 20 of these already as gifts for family, friends and the residents of a local nursing home.

I have only done a few patterns multiple times. I get bored with the item after the first time. My mom on the other hand makes the same thing over and over and over and over...that is because she refuses to learn how to read a pattern and makes me walk her through it. She has been making the kind of shawl for the past year, probably has made close to 100, literally... She is working on the round ripple now and has make about 20 of those...drives me crazy. I keep asking her "Aren't you bored with that yet?" She just keeps making them.

Hope

Shelbyville, KY

:think Pattern? Whats a pattern? I learned stitches...and just made them what I want them to look like....Seriously though I don't follow a pattern most of the time. I can say thought that if I like a pattern or a finished work...I'll definitely do it again...with some sort of creative variation of course. :yes

Oh wow, I think I go both ways.I am always trying new patterns and at the same time I am doing the same stuff again and again.I had this book montricot for babies,which unfortunately is lost.This book had a baby frock with picots and it was such a pretty pattern that I must have made dozens and dozens.But tried to make in different colours but not always.Making in different yarn is out of question as here in India we get only one type of acrylic which is available very easily.

Sandhya.

I tend to do different projects constantly and will look for different patterns to vary the routine. But since the marjority of my crochet work is for charitable projects, there are times when I will do the same pattern several times because it is easy, quick and looks nice and I only have a certain amount of yarn to work with. I will change the color scheme, the hook size. Or use the stitches and just make up my own design. Did that with a hat and scarf set, needed a scarf to make the hat pattern, which I changed a bit anyway.

There are a couple of tried and true that I have used for gifts (but for people who didn't know each other).

LI Roe

For most patterns - once is enough. for some patterns - finishing it once is MORE than enough.

But for grannies- I could make them forever! The bigger the better. I can't stand doing tons of little granny sq blocks.

i have done several things more than once. i have favorites that i make up in different yarns or colors. i help out with my handicapped mom and dad every other week. if they have doctor's appointments or i'm just sitting with them, i will work on projects. these tend to be things that i've memorized the pattern for. i like the challenge of new things but only if i have large blocks of uninterrupted time to concentrate on what i'm doing.

If i really like the pattern I will make more...But i get to the point where i have to have something new....So sometimes I have more than one thing going at a time

I have a few afghan patterns I would call "classic". I know they will turn out well and about how long they will take, but I do like to work with different colors. I like to make big granny squares because I hate to sew them together. I have to wait until I'm in the mood and then I join them all at once.

Terry :heart

I've been known to repeat crochet a favorite pattern or two. I was really big on a filet heart baby 'ghan a few years ago. I must have made half a dozen of them. Now I have a goal to make about a dozen helmet liners for the National Guard in Iraq. I'm on my third one now and I'm not bored yet. I think that it works up fast is key.

But I love the thrill of the hunt for a new pattern, too!

It depends on how I'm feeling. Much of the time, I just want to crochet without thinking of the pattern (very meditative!) so I'll work on granny squares or a simple ripple or a panel afghan. Sometimes I want to do something more intricate and I'll work on a cardigan or socks or advanced afghan pattern.

Color also plays into how I feel. Sometimes I want the stimulation of LOTS of different colors (I make *a lot* of scrap afghans!), or complimentary colors, or similar colors, or a solid color.

Archived