Can you do the same pattern over and over?

I find it painful to do the same pattern twice. This is especially hard when people see something they like and want the exact same thing. I must just have a terrible attention span. I kind of look at projects as a puzzle and once they are done there is no challenge in it anymore. Is it just me?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends on the pattern and the level of frustration I experienced with it. But, to a certain extent, the answer is yes. Some things, like the round ripples, I can do over and over, as long as each one is different. But most of the time it's "Been there, done that", now let's move on.

I am the same way. Now granted, there are a few things that I will remake and change color schemes or something, like hats, scarves, bibs, dishclothes, but most of the time, once I have completed a pattern I want the challenge and excitement of crafting something new and different. This is why I have 5 (yes 5) single slippers done, no mates, cus I just can't bring my self to make the pattern again. :loco Crazy, I know. That is why I quit making slippers.

I agree. Most of the time, when I'm finished with a project I want to move on to a new challenge. I find going back and doing a pattern over again is not very exciting:sigh even though I have done it for craft shows. But there have been exceptions...like the time I made a poncho, fell in love with the pattern, and then sold it before I could blink twice!:( I had to make another one to keep, but even then I used a different yarn entirely...so it still wasn't quite the same.:hook

Actually, unless I am doing it deliberately, I never make the same pattern twice, especially if I am making it for someone else. Every item I make as a gift is a one-of-a-kind.

That's not to say that I won't use the same pattern as a base to start with more than once, because I've done that often, but I always change something so that the next item is not the same as the first.

I'm kind of nutty that way. LOL

I'm the same way. I like the challenge of trying something new. And if I had problems with it :thair I usually won't go back to it. There are some things that I have made more than once, but usually because someone requested that specific item. Is that why we have so many patterns?

As long as I can change yarns or at least colors I'm ok with repeating them. I have a couple of favorite afghan patterns that look different in different yarns, I've made several fat-bottomed bags and I love the SNB one skein scarf. No excuse for so many patterns!

LOL I relate totally. I have done the same pattern over, but prefer not to more than 2 times total. Although I'm making stockings for my kids & hubby & myself, which is 7. I've done 4 and I'm bored already... sigh.

I have not crocheted for that long but I can not even work on one thing for to long before I start another one :lol .So when it comes to makeing things it is always something new and most of the time it is a new st. or something I have never made before.:fluffy

About the only pattern that I have done over and over is a large granny square afghan. Even then they are all different because of color and the amount of rows made before changing colors. I usually finish them off with the same double triple or triple triple ruffle. I made these for all members of my family one year for Christmas and each was different yet the same by the change in color and number of rows. All were greatly appreciated. Other than that, most of my things are one of a kind - whether made by pattern or originals. Oh, one other one I did multiples of - I made the first 3 or 4 rows of a medallion center of a doily and used them as spider webs on Christmas envelopes and wrote out the story about how we got tinsel for Christmas trees. Those were all well received.

As of right now I am crocheting mittins for my daughters dance team - 19 pair!!!

I started early knowing that I get tired of repeat patterns. I have two sets left. I don't mind repeat patterns if I can change color and add a little touch here and there - However, 19 mittins all the same color is mind numbing.

Yes, I work the same patterns over. I have to do something different in between though. Usually 2 in a row is my max... I'm talking small stuff, hats, scarves, shawls... no afghans for me yet. LOL.

Usually I want to move on to something new, but there are one or two patterns that I continue ot go back to time and again.

I have a favorite baby blankie pattern that works up fast and looks great, so I do make that one when I need a quick blankie.

Now for the year I made 15 snowmen, I haven't touched that pattern since.:lol

I guess it just depends on what the item is for me.

:manyheart

I have several "favorite" patterns I keep doing in different colors and sizes so everything is one of a kind. Sometimes I just want to crochet without having to think to much about it. I also do a lot of new patterns to challenge myself. It's a happy balance!

Personally I am not fond of doing the same thing over again. But there are times I will, such as gifts. Then I will vary the yarn and colors. But for me it gets a tad bit tedious. My DH teases me when I complain something is getting tedious and boring. He says to think of it as sooothing and relaxing.... sooothing and relaxing...... Then I throw something at him. Feel much better then.....:D

I love to make the same pattern over and over, mostly dolls and stuffed animals. Each time I make them, they come out slightly different. That's what makes them so fun to make.:manyheart

I have a favorite baby afghan pattern that I do a lot because it works up fast because I can crochet it with thinking and it is really pretty. I do vary it by changing the color combinations.

Archived