young crocheters, have you noticed

I used to get it alot when I was out now the kids do it themselves so they get the oohh did your garam make that and my daughter proudly says no I did. She gets praise and happy smiles and then they usually ask did gram teach you and she giggles and says nope mommy did. She is so proud of the fact that she does something that "old" people do she loves to broadcast.

After three years of giving crocheted gifts my family still asks did you make that like they are still surprised what I can do with hook and yarn. Hopefully they will never lose the awe in my work.

CHrissy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While people are usually in awe of what I can do with hooks and yarn/thread, I've never gotten the "did granny make that?" question.

What really bugs me, though, is that out here, everybody assumes that if you've got a ball of yarn in one hand, you're knitting. I can't explain it, it just irks me to no end. I always calmly explain to them, "no, I'm not knitting, I'm crocheting. Knitting uses two pointy sticks, I'm using one hook." (Although I DO knit a little, but I prefer crochet. It just seems a little "freer" to me, while knitting seems so rigid and controlled.)

As for looks I get when people see me crocheting... I don't shive a git. ;) Most of those people are probably jealous of my creativity and skills anyway. :P

I'm 31 and my Nana taught me off and on when I was a kid. Once I hit 14, I took it up a bit more seriously and was glad I did. Once in a while, I get the odd look from other parents my age and once in a while I get annoyed by the people who's great grandmother's sister's aunt's niece's uncle's mom crocheted and think they can tell me what I'm doing wrong while they've never picked up a hook in their life.

Happily, my 12yr old DD is slowly trying to learn the art and her friends always ask me what sort of project I'm working on whenever they come by. My 4yr old DD tries to help me crochet if I leave a project on the arm of the couch while I get a coffee. The only interest my 14yr old daughter has in crocheting is asking me when I'm going to make her more stuff. I told her I'd be happy to teach her but she says she'd rather wait for me to do it.:think

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I taught myself how to knit and crochet when I was about 10. I did small projects and then moved on to other hobbies.

I took up crocheting again during the "Blizzard of 1999." They were calling for a ton of snow, so I stopped by the store to purchase some yarn and I crocheted for four days straight! I haven't put down my hook since!

I make things for my son and always get the typical, "Your baby is so cute; he must have some grandmothers that really love him." I always respond, "Thanks so much - his grandmothers do love him - but his mommy made that sweater!" Awe and shock ensues. (I'm 30.)

Hi everyone, it's so great that crocheting is finally being recognized as an

art form. It's really evolved from the doilies and toilet paper covers from

years ago. Don't you just love all the patterns and cool yarns that are

available for crocheters now. I'm 55, but I'm nobody's grandmother and

I've always kept up with fashion trends. I love the patterns that are geared

for younger crocheters. It's great to see anyone of any age crocheting

and they shouldn't be ashamed or made to feel inferior because they are.

This is usually by people who have no creativity skills and don't want to

learn anything. I taught my niece to crochet and knit this summer.

So when she got back to college and was practicing in her dorm room,

some of the guys walking by stopped and asked her if she could teach them.

It is so cool that men are interested in taking up the hook, too. Crocheting

is not just for old grannies. It's for everyone! Being able to make something

beautiful for yourself or someone else is tremendously gratifying. An added

plus, is it's a great way to relax and concentrate on something esle other

than your problems, the stressful day you had. etc.

Happy Crocheting!

Debby

And then there's the flip side of this situation. When I take my crochet with me to dd's gymnastics class or golf lesson, I'll usually attract a kid or two who ask questions: Is that knitting? What are you making? And almost inevitably, they will say: My grandma does that! I think they want me to be impressed that their grandma does it too. LOL

Oh, and I'm 34 with 2 kids. Haven't made too many wearables other than scarves though.

I was crocheting in the college Cafe with my good friend Jeran and this girl walks by and was like "what are we 50?" to which we answered "YES" :) good times[/quote

Good for you! Apparently this girl is not up to date on anything and does not know that crochet is not just for grannies anymore. Everyone is doing it. Has she not seen the cool patterns out there now? Some people are ignorant and can't refrain themselves from making comments about things they know nothing about.

This is a great thread. I'm 42, not young, but still got a few wisecracks from friends, like I'm not a grandmother yet or something like that. Of course, being over 40, I don't really care what others think of me, so I just say very funny, and tell them that it's way cheaper than therapy.

Good for you! Apparently this girl is not up to date on anything and does not know that crochet is not just for grannies anymore. Everyone is doing it. Has she not seen the cool patterns out there now? Some people are ignorant and can't refrain themselves from making comments about things they know nothing about.

I think part of the problem may be that they just don't realize what's crocheted and what's knitted. Crochet has been all over the fashion scene for quite a while now, what with shrugs and lacy cardigans and whatnot, but if a person doesn't crochet, I don't think they'd recognize it for what it is. I think a lot of people - not just young ones, either - see something made from yarn and just automatically assume that it's knitted.

Ignorance, plain and simple.:yes

too funny! just today at work a co-worker had on a scarf and someone asked her if her grandma made it. she said she bought it at the store. i was thinking "i've seen better hand made crocheted ones". :devil

and i've not made any wearables either except scarves and hats. i call myself a VERY beginner, even though i learned how in 2001.

I've been getting that all my life! And the funny thing is neither one of my grandmothers nor my mother knew how to knit or crochet :lol

"Grandma wouldn't know a Hook or a Needle from a hole in the ground."

Ditto :rofl

Archived