Squares finished with knots found at a recycling center...what will you do?

There is a non-profit recycling place called "Materials Resource Center" in Long Island where fabric samples, scrap lumber, scrap metal, card stocks, cones of thread and yarn of unknown fiber, tons of buttons and other endless craft materials are donated and sold inexpensively.

I found at least a dozen granny squares, all same design, in one of the bins there. I'm sure it's acrylic and the ends are knotted and cut short, not woven in. I am guessing that someone donated them for charity and the charity organization in turn donated them to the recycling center because they couldn't use them or for some other reason.

I don't know what to do...I feel like I will be the only crocheter ever to know of their existence. I can just leave them there and hope that someone will find some use for them (unlikely). But then I think about some crocheter out there who put a lot of time into crocheting them. What would you do?

How secure are the knots? Are they secure enough to just leave them as is, join the squares and donate it to an animal shelter? I guess if the knots are potentially going to come out, I would use some sort of fray check or washable glue like the Empress suggested. To me, it sounds like it could be a good opportunity to make a quick blanket for the animals in the shelter.

Nicole

Archived