Crocheted items at thrift stores.

I am really into shopping at thrift stores. However, when I go through the linens aisle, I always see quite a few blankets that someone obviously put a lot of work into... on sale at a thrift store for super cheap. It makes me sad!!! And it makes me worry that it will happen to one of mine that I give as a gift someday! :( I have been thinking about buying these, maybe just the baby blankets, and sending them to charities.

Sorry, that was just a random thought !

Wow. I thought I was the only one that did that. LOL.

I am notorious for buying nice, crocheted afghans and such, and taking them to the local women's shelter, or to the local halfway house.

I just can't stand the thought of them hanging there, unwanted and unused.

What suckers we are. :)

I've been known to give my own afghans I've made for myself and used for years, to thrift stores or charities when I don't use them anymore...

I was in Calgary a year ago and shopping in a thrift store and went crazy when I saw some doilies. They were wonderful...of course I had to get them...I was doing a happy dance in the aisle...my friend kind of looked at me a bit funny...

I also thrift store shop. It's hard to see some of the things being sold, but people do get tired of things....I guess. I still have all the afghans my mother ever made me. You know how acrylic lasts....

I never seem to have time to make doilies. I have found some beautiful doilies at thrift stores.

But the worst things is when the thrift stores put really high prices on stuff.....that's just wrong.

Long live thrift stores.....:manyheart

I thought it was just me too. I see those and wonder why they gave them. Some are old colors, but still. Of course I hope someone will buy them and use them and enjoy them. I've heard of some crafters who buy them and frog them to reuse the yarn. I always hope if mine ever end up in thrift stores that won't happen as I put a lot of thought and love into my crocheted items. But I guess the crafter will use them for a good reason if they do buy them and frog them. And some can only afford that price for yarn.

Debbi

I always get sad after a trip to the thrift store because of the crocheted items, many of which have obviously never been used. Once I saw a baby blanket that was identical to one I'd made (pattern from a popular book)--it hurt MY feelings, even though I knew mine was on the now-6-year-old baby's house in a crumple because she sleeps with it every night.

Then a few days after that instance, I saw a mentally-altered homeless woman wearing a beautiful rainbow-colored crochet hat on a very cold day, and it gave me the opposite feeling. I'm sure that hat was donated to a shelter by a crocheter, and it made me smile seeing that the woman needed and was using that hat, and was probably happy to have a beautiful one, even though any old Rite-Aid acrylic hat would have done. Kudos to that crocheter for putting a lot of time into a hat she was donating to the homeless.

I see no reason to be sad about the crocheted stuff at thrift stores. Soon someone who probably couldn't afford a full price afghan will buy it and a whole new family will get to enjoy it. That's the great thing about thrift stores! Be sad if it's in the trash, but certainly not if it's in a thrift store!

I once crocheted a baby blanket for this lady my mom babysat for, one Saturday the lady was having a rumage sell so we stopped by. Well, of course there the blanket I had worked so hard on was! For sale at her rumage sale! I think I made her feel a like crap when I bought it back!!!! I was quite young then and it really hurt my feelings!

I see no reason to be sad about the crocheted stuff at thrift stores. Soon someone who probably couldn't afford a full price afghan will buy it and a whole new family will get to enjoy it. That's the great thing about thrift stores! Be sad if it's in the trash, but certainly not if it's in a thrift store!

I totally agree!

We almost never know why something is there.

Oh yes. Good thinking! Maybe someone who can't crochet, doesn't know anyone or never received a crochet item or couldn't afford one from a crocheter, would buy it.

Debbi

Buy them! I keep extra crochet blankets in the car (when I have them) and will pass them to homeless families. It's amazing how many people are living on the streets - they are not hard to find. Here in wisconsin it is very cold!!

Only people who "Crochet" can truely know and appreciate the Art. It is an intense Labor of Love. Its physical as well as emotional. A creation by the creator, for that special someone. I think those crochet items that land in the thrift stores were sent there, in error. Most likely it was someone cleaning out "what they could not appreciate". I love to crochet, and every single item I can remember the backpain that it took me to finish the item, no matter how small it was. So for all you crocheters out there, I salute you, I admire you, and I wish I had half the talent and ability that so many crocheters here in Crochetville do. :)

Archived