My Family Won't Let Me Buy Anymore Yarn, Patterns or Hooks

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK...here's the recipe...

You will need:

one bag of mini chocolate chips (or 3 of the little bags of Hershey's Special Sugar Free Dark Chocolate for the sugar-free version)

one pint of heavy whipping cream (AKA heavy cream)

two bowls (one medium sized, one large)

one small sauce pan

a spoon

a mixer

a 1 cup measuring cup

seran wrap

refridgerator

OK..here's how you do it!! First, pour all the chocolate into the smaller of the two bowls. If you use the Sugar Free Chocolate, I'd suggest using a metal bowl and keeping it on the top of the stove while you do this part, as it will help the chocolate melt faster. Next, measure out 3/4 cup of the heavy cream and pour it into the saucepan. Heat the cream until you see those little bubbles around the outside edge, then pour the heated cream over the chocolate. Stir until all the chocolate is completely melted...make sure there are no lumps of unmelted chocolate, as those lumps will then show up in your mousse. Once that's all melted together, put aside.

Pour the remaining heavy cream (1 1/4 cups) into the larger bowl and, using your mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form. It usually takes 5-10 minutes, depending on the speed of your mixer. You will notice that the cream takes up alot more room in the bowl as the air is incorporated with the beating, which is why you need a big bowl for it all. The longer you beat the cream, the fluffier it will get and the lighter your mousse will be. However, once the soft peaks form, stop beating the cream, as you can actually over-beat it and then it's not as good. Once the beating is done, gently fold in the melted chocolate and stir until everything is completely blended. The color should be uniform throughout, and you shouldn't be able to see any white at all in the mix. It will look like chocolate pudding.

Wrap the top of the bowl with seran wrap & pop it in the fridge. You'll need to let it set for at least 6 hours, so if you're doing this for a party or get-together, I'd suggest making it the night before.

Once you make this, you will wonder how so many resturants get away with charging so much for mousse when it's this easy to make!!!

Enjoy!

Jessie

I'm drooling just thinking about making it. Thank you so much for the recipe. I think I'll make it for my hubby's grandmother's Boxing Day Christmas Dinner we have every year. The only other desserts there are the homemade chocolates from my step MIL and his aunt's very runny and disgusting cheesecake.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Funky...I'll have to figure out how to get to you and still have someone home to watch the munchkins...cause there's no way I'd bring them with LOL!!

Auntie K....just remember to make it the night before, so that it has plenty of time to set up, and then transport it in a cooler to keep it cold. It's all dairy so it has to stay cold. You can also use the white chocolate morsels...and there is a part of me really tempted to try the peanut butter morsels, just to see how it would work, but I haven't done that yet LOL!!

Does anyone know how well dry ice keeps things cold during shipping?? I'm thinking like UPS???

Jessie

When I see cream of Meat I think of George Carlin's routine about cleaning out the fridge.

What's that in the back here? Could be meat :think....could be cake :think ...could be meat cake! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Cream of Meat?

The thought of it brings me back to SOS...something on a shingle...that apparently they served often in the military during WWII...Grandpa loved it and Grandma made it often...either you love it or you hate it. I love it...my sister hates it...but it has become a cherished family recipe.

Maybe we should bring our more attractive dishes to this Share-a-meal?

I'm drooling just thinking about making it. Thank you so much for the recipe. I think I'll make it for my hubby's grandmother's Boxing Day Christmas Dinner we have every year. The only other desserts there are the homemade chocolates from my step MIL and his aunt's very runny and disgusting cheesecake.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

.... and his aunt's very runny and disgusting cheesecake.... :eek

Sounds like you're gonna be nominated for sainthood if you show up with that fabulous chocolate mousse!!!!

I normally love cheesecake but after one bite out his aunt's... Ugh!

On the bright side, I will have that marvellous chocolate mousse thanks to Jessie sharing with us and my new shawl that I need hubby to help me take pictures of so I can Show and Tell it. The shawl turned out wonderful but I can't decide if I want to add fringe to it or not.

On a side note, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could make with the camo yarn my hubby picked up? The sweater I was going to make my daughter didn't turn out the way I wanted and now I've frogged it.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I normally love cheesecake but after one bite out his aunt's... Ugh!

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Isn't it awful how at these "major" family functions there's always some relative that brings an absolutely repulsive dish and nobody tries to stop them for fear of hurting their feelings? My aunt (long since passed, and she was a MEAN one - had Dobermans named Satan and Fraulign -sp) - anyway, she used to make MEAT CANDY!!! It was the consistency of peanut brittle but had a couple pounds of ground round in it:eek ! GROSS.

And she made lemon pie, but I think she used an apple pie recipe so she just peeled those lemons and stuck 'em in the pie... a sick, disgusting plate of repulsiveness!!!

I agree Funky, I think we all have a relative that can't cook. Or you get the horribly picky people that will criticize even the most delicious meal but can't cook themselves.

Although you mentioning a lemon pie has put me in the mood for some Lemon Meringue Pie... Gonna have to bug hubby to pick up some ingredients on his way home from work one of these days.

Hugs and Cookies (and pie ^.^)

Auntie K

Meat candy?!?!?! Lemon pie made just like apple?! You poor, poor thing! And I thought my family had a bad dinner plan just because they scallop *everything*. Although it was fun to see the look on my boyfriend's face the thanksgiving he went there with me:

Him: "So, what's all this stuff?"

Me: "that's scalloped corn, scalloped potatoes, scalloped mac n' cheese, scalloped oysters, and scalloped cabbage. Oh, and a bag of ruffles and some turkey...yeah I know...:( "

Jessie- I'll PM you for your email addy so I can send you some of my fav low-cal recipes when I get home tonight. Although I warn you now, they're fairly unremarkable, "taste of home" recipes. I don't cook fancy :) But hey, those of us *attempting* weight loss need all the options we can get, right?

Meat candy?!?!?! Lemon pie made just like apple?! You poor, poor thing! And I thought my family had a bad dinner plan just because they scallop *everything*. Although it was fun to see the look on my boyfriend's face the thanksgiving he went there with me:

Me: "that's scalloped corn, scalloped potatoes, scalloped mac n' cheese, scalloped oysters, and scalloped cabbage. Oh, and a bag of ruffles and some turkey...yeah I know...:( "

Wow! I didn't even know some of those things could be scalloped.... but it's good to know. Bag of ruffles and turkey???:think Not familiar with that...

Wow! I didn't even know some of those things could be scalloped.... but it's good to know. Bag of ruffles and turkey???:think Not familiar with that...

Haha- as in "they put out a bag of ruffles as a side dish, and oh yeah we do have a turkey." Although they stopped doing turkey...they say it was too much work, I say they're trying to figure out how to scallop it. :devil

Come to think of it, I still don't know how they scallop all that stuff. I don't think I want to know. Perhaps because of them, I never scallop anything. I'm just worried they'll get bored and scallop more stuff. Scalloped turkey? Scalloped pumpkin pie? Scalloped scallops?

Funky...with cookingrole models like that, no wonder you aren't allowed in the kitchen!!!:lol

The only folks in my family who can't cook are my DD's...and that's only cause they're too short to reach the knobs on the stove safely LOL!! We all cook...and cook well...even DH (though he did actually have me convinced the first 3 yrs of our marriage that he didn't know how to cook:P)....

Jessie

Jessie- I'll PM you for your email addy so I can send you some of my fav low-cal recipes when I get home tonight. Although I warn you now, they're fairly unremarkable, "taste of home" recipes. I don't cook fancy :) But hey, those of us *attempting* weight loss need all the options we can get, right?

That's a lot of scalloped food. Makes me happy I grew up in a household full of bakers and cooks (my nephew has become a chef :clap ) and handicrafts. Although my nana's reason for teaching me crocheting was in case there was a huge war again and we'd need all the stuff we could make to survive. She tended to be a little over dramatic at times.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Cream of Meat! Cream of Meat! Cream of Meat!! :D

Seriously though, I'd love to see the recipe for that, Funky!

When I see cream of Meat I think of George Carlin's routine about cleaning out the fridge.

What's that in the back here? Could be meat :think....could be cake :think ...could be meat cake! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Allow me to respond to both the above posts: Do a 'George Carlin' and find a 'mystery package' in the back of the fridge or freezer (we call it mystery meat - you can call it meat cake - meat cake has a nice ring to it!). Find crock pot and dust it off. Plug it in. Put the mystery meat cake in there (doesnt' matter if it's frozen) throw a can of Cream of Whatever soup on it. Put the lid on. Turn on crock pot (this step is pretty important). Come back eight hours later and fish it out... if it's edible, good for you; if not, order pizza!

Cream of Meat?

The thought of it brings me back to SOS...something on a shingle...that apparently they served often in the military during WWII...Grandpa loved it and Grandma made it often...either you love it or you hate it. I love it...my sister hates it...but it has become a cherished family recipe.

Maybe we should bring our more attractive dishes to this Share-a-meal?

I am in the LOVE it category when it comes to SOS! I used to volunteer at the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) for their monthly breakfast, and of course the cooks were the olds vets, so man, oh man, did you get some good eatings there... those men could make SOS like nobody's business... and we're talking after rounds and rounds of Bloody Mary's! That was so much fun! You just brought back a great memory for me:manyheart

SOS is the one thing my grandfather will actually cook LOL!! Man is going to be tied to the Navy however he can til it's his time to go (when the Navy made him retire, he got a civi job contracting for the Navy, then when they made him retire, he became a consultant for them still working with the Navy LOL!!), but he can make SOS like nobody's business LOL!!!

Jessie

SOS is the one thing my grandfather will actually cook LOL!! Man is going to be tied to the Navy however he can til it's his time to go (when the Navy made him retire, he got a civi job contracting for the Navy, then when they made him retire, he became a consultant for them still working with the Navy LOL!!), but he can make SOS like nobody's business LOL!!!

Jessie

Oh, I'd love a huge artery clogging bowl of that right now! That sounds SO GOOD!!!!!! I bet his is awesome, too. It was always the Navy vets that did the SOS as VFW!

• 1 month later...

I just have to put in my two cents. <y DH tried to limit my yarn/crochet supplies spending. It lasted until he needed another Itunes card for his DJ business. Then he got an ultimatum, get me a computer and chill about yarn since the music has slowed down our other computer until it is as slow as dial up. Well I have e new computer:cheer and a weekly yarn budget of $25, since I ususally only work with RH that is 10 sk a week. As fir the kids they love that I am a crocheter. My oldest just asked me to make something for his girlfriend for her birthday in 25 days:eek and he wanted me to design it special for her. I told him 26 days is not enough time as I am slow to design and that I would make her a pink and black scarf. Of course I have to go out and but the yarn but oh well it is for a good cause.

Chrissy

Boy, am I so glad I found this thread! I'm a horrible cook, but can bake like no one's business! I also put on pjs as soon as I'm in the door, and watch court tv all the time! To this day, one of my older brothers refuses to eat SOS or hamburger helper because we ate so much of it growing up!:manyheart Anyone other than me like creamed chipped beef?!:eek:lol I soooo wanna move in!!! I make jello like it's going out of style.:yes

Archived