Shawls

Lillie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all. I enjoyed making them, I'm glad you all enjoyed looking at them.:cheer (I love this little cheer leader smiley. She's so sweet!)

A couple of people have asked about patterns.

The thing is I really make them up as I go along.

The black filet one is a very easy pattern. It just repeats over and over.

If anyone can't see the pattern from the photo I could sort out some instructions.

On the second page of this tread there are some basic discriptions of how I did all three of them, but mainly I do a narrow band of filet type work, then I suspend the shawl from that.

This avoids working from a foundation chain, which I hate doing.

The filet that makes up the body of the shawl is so easy.

I work it out on squared paper first, then just work from that.

The fun thing is that it gets quicker as I go along, because the rows get shorter.

When I have done half the rows I have done three quaters of the crochet!

I like that!!

Then I put the frill round the edge.

I got the idea for the frill pattern from an old book, from about 1914, and just adapted it to be what I wanted.

But any frill would do, anything that took your fancy!

I have never made a design for other people to work from.

I have never written/drawn one out or anything like that.

But if people really wanted to know exactly how I did any of these I would do my best to explain. Though I don't know how good I could do it.

Lillie,

The pink does show it best. The black one is a little harder to see. Any chance you could take a close up picture? I think I could figure it out from there.

They are all beautiful, but the black appeals to me the most!

Thanks for sharing:cheer

Beautiful shawls! I especially love the black one. The stitch pattern is so pretty. It must take quite a while to finish a shawl made of thread. :)

Here are some details of the two filet shawls.

Hopefully they will be clear enough to be copied.

The black one is so simple, just diagonal lines criss crossing!

The butterfly came from a really old book. Something by Flora Klickmann from about the first world war time!

details.jpg

I couldn't get a flower on to the montage without making the whole thing either too big to post or too small to see!.

But they are so simple

Lets see if I can do it like this.

--xx-xx--

-xxx-xxx-

xx-x-x-xx

xxx-x-xxx

---xxx---

xxx-x-xxx

xx-x-x-xx

-xxx-xxx-

--xx-xx--

Does that make sense?

x = filled square, - = empty square.

And I just arranged the stems and stuff till it looked ok. Squared paper and a pencil! Lot's of rubbing out till it was right.

:)

Thank you.

I am glad the close ups were useful.

Generally I make up my own stuff, or adapt pre existing patterns to suit me.

But I have never written a pattern in my life!

And although I know what I do it is surprisingly hard to explain!

Really makes me admire all the pattern writers out there who all explain it so well.

Thanks.

I just made it up really.the body of it is a simple filet mesh, with a repeating geometric pattern.

You can probably see how to do it pretty easy.

This is how I do all of them.

I start by doing the top band. This shows up best in the pink one.

I do 11 chain, then 3 for the first treble. (but most of you here will call it a double! What terminology should I use?)

Then treble (double) into next chain, chain 3, skipping 3 chain. Treble (double) into next chain. 3 chain, skipping 3 chain, Treble (double) into next chain, treble (double) into last chain.

With the next row you do the same but do three treble (double) into the middle and lessen the chains accordingly on each side.

Next row the same, but do 5 treble (double) into the centre bit with same adjustment of chains.

Then next row go back to 3 in the middle, then 1 for the next row, then three, then five.

So, instead of starting with a long foundation chain, you're doing a little filet netting mile-a-minute-style, working vertically? Working up versus across. (we call your treble a double I think - are you from Europe?)
See? does that make sense? It's like filet, but a little different in the counting. But essentially the same principal.

When you have it half as long as you want, taper it off anyway that seems right.

Then go back to where you begun and work the same in the opposite direction.

Are you saying that you're starting in the middle of the filet band, and working toward the edge, then going back to the middle and attatching yarn, and going out to the other edge?
Till you have a long thing tapered at each end.

Then go all the way round binding it with doubles (singles)

Then drop the filet mesh down from it. Doing either 4 chain, or a double teble (treble) at the begining and end, to make the diagonal reduction.

Work whatever filet pattern you like and when you get to the point at the end fasten off.

Then go all round that doing doubles (singles)

Then go all gound and back and rund and back putting on what ever frilly fancy edge takes your fancy.

How do you get the edging to attach to the original filet band? Do you have to sew it together?
Then it's done.

If you look at the pictue of the pink one it shows it best.

:thinkI'm sorry I''m so confused... I love your black shawl and want to make one! Thanks Theresa

Yes, I'm confused too. :)

Yes, I am from Europe. Britain.

So all the stitch names here will be British, because I get confused otherwise.

either change them one up or one down. Whichever is right.

Along the top of the shawl is a band.

Yes, I hate working into a foundation chain, so I avoid doing it.

So I make the top band.

Yes, it's like a long thin filet mesh. I start in what will become the centre.

I work out till it's half as long as I want.

Then I go back to where I started and do the other half in the other direction.

This just makes it even. it could all be done in one go, totally up to you.

Then I go round the outside doing doubles. This gives the edge a nice finished look.

Then I do the triangular mesh that is the main body of the shawl.

I start up on the band (near the end, but not right at the end) and do a long row of filet into the doubles that edge the band.

I match this filet to the filet of that band, so it looks neat.

Then I just work the filet down to a point.

Then I do doubles round the edge of the big triangle, then I do the frill.

Of course the triangle does not go right to the ends of the band. It leaves a bit of space for the frill. And the frill attatches to the band however it seems right.

Mostly when I get to the band I just attatch to it with a double into the doubles that edge the band, then I turn the whole thing and work the next row all around to the other side. Then just tack it onto the band with a double and turn it again (depending on how many rows the frill takes.)

With these I tend to crochet in a very sort of 'ad hoc' way.

I just make it fit together without any real plan or pattern except for a basic idea in my head.

Which is why it's so hard to say what I did!

I am certainly no pattern writer!

:cheerThanks so much for the further explanation! I appreciate you taking the time to describe the details. I know it's probably fustrating! Anyways, I love your shawls, and I have a feeling I won't be the only one trying to make one! Also, thanks for posting a larger detail of the work, that sure helps!

Archived